PDA

View Full Version : How rare is it......

snufflepuff
07-07-2010, 03:58 PM
to be graded outstanding on your first inspection?
A friend was asking how my inspection went today and when i told her i got 'good' she said that she was really happy for me blah blah blah and that she thought it was impossible to get any higher that that for a first inspection. I told her that it is possible but that i think it is rare, but i was wondering how rare?
Did any of you get outstanding first time round? Or know anyone who did?

WibbleWobble
07-07-2010, 04:02 PM
like hens teeth i was told by my network co ordinator.

I got some outstanding bits and she thought that was good for a first inspection

mandy xxxx

mama2three
07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I did , and know of one other. Its certainly not impossible!

duran
07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
its certainly not impossible

heatherw
07-07-2010, 04:27 PM
There is a minder near me that got outstanding on her first inspection, i think its hard but not impossible. I also think it depends on the inspector, some will not give it on the first inspection.

misst104
07-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I agree with heather on that one. Think it totally depends on the inspector. The big Ofsted lottery! :angry: I got graded down on something that a friend of mine does all the time and she got outstanding ( at the same time too!). Annoying but that's the luck of the draw I think.

Do think you are very lucky to get outstanding at any time, never mind on a first one!

jo

miffy
07-07-2010, 04:50 PM
There is a minder near me that got outstanding on her first inspection, i think its hard but not impossible. I also think it depends on the inspector, some will not give it on the first inspection.

I agree, a lot depends on the inspector - I have heard of one that won't give above satisfactory for a first inspection.

A friend was also told it is a lot harder now to get the grades so if you got good last time (pre eyfs) you might only get satisfactory this time.

Miffy xx

blue bear
07-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I thought I read in latest changes that outstanding at first inspection is unlikely unless minder has previously worked in childcare and can show improvment in knowledge etc

Trouble
07-07-2010, 05:33 PM
If they think youve earned the grade they will give it to you,

my inspector said he doesnt give outstanding out but he gave me one:thumbsup:

sarah707
07-07-2010, 05:36 PM
the new Ofsted guidance for inspectors which came out a few months ago says that it's highly unlikely (can't remember exact wording but that's the gist).

Hth :D

alison
07-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Three childminders I have mentored as a support minder have got Outstanding at their first graded inspection in the last year.

I do know of a few others , but also 10 out of 15 of our defunct network have outstanding and 5 of us have it second time around!

Donkey
07-07-2010, 06:30 PM
the new guidance says something along the lines off...

childminders will not be able to sufficiently embed the eyfs in the 6 months since registration so unless they have had previous childcare experience then no outstanding

or something like that!

Wheelybug
07-07-2010, 07:44 PM
I got outstanding on my first inspection with no previous childcare experience (apart from my own children). I think if you are prepared to put in the work anything is possible!

maisiemog
07-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Very rare. I was basically told at my inspection that I couldnt get higher than a satisfactory cos I hadn't been minding long enough to have proved sufficient knowledge in the eyfs. Mind you I was very unlucky in how long it took me to get a mindee and had only been doing it 2 weeks when I had my inspection.