PDA

View Full Version : Am I too soft?

twinkle3005
31-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Hi

I've been minding a little girl for over a year now and her Mum has decided to put her in a nursery group 3 mornings a week from 9 - 11.30am. I decided a while ago that I didn't want to be doing nursery pickups as I found it too restricting. Anyhow I told the Mum this and she said she'd have a think as too how to get around it. I didn't want to loose this little girl as she's lovely and I have a great relationship with her and the family so I've now backed down and said I will collect her. I've since found out that the child will be attending the group only the days she's minded (I have her 2 days, grandparents the other) and that Mum could have put her in on the 2 days she is off work. When I suggested Mum putting her in on the days she's off work she said she wanted to spend time with her, which is fair enough but it's only 2 hours and not restricting for her as she has no other kids at home. Am I too soft?

jmoff
31-03-2008, 02:31 PM
...maybe you could charge her for when she is at nursery? Or is it just a pain doing the pickups.
I am not doing any at the moment but when I was I didn't mind it as it kind of breaks up your day.

Good luck.

Jana x

sarah707
31-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I've always done nursery pick-ups as I enjoy having mornings a bit quieter, then plan my afternoon around lunch, rest time, active and organised play, free play during making tea etc...

If you want to do it, you will soon find a rhythm to your days... if you don't then you need to be honest now, before resentment sets in :D

Monkey1
31-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I have 2 nursery runs and it feels like my day revolves around them!.....not to mention the school run!:eek:

ruby
31-03-2008, 02:54 PM
we have a nursery run in the afternoon but are lucky as when the 3 started we asked the parents if they could all go in the afternoons
otherwise we would spend all day back and forth the school

cathy

angeldelight
31-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I do not do nursery pick ups at the moment but have done them in the past and hate them

They do restrict your day a lot

I would have prob backed down like you did though

Angel xx

Chimps Childminding
31-03-2008, 06:27 PM
What I dislike most about nursery pick-ups apart from clock watching all morning is having to put the other children in the car, then get them out at nursery, then back in once the child has been collected, then back out when you get home again! unfortunately although our local nursery is only a mile and a bit away, the footpath between here and there is no good at all for a double buggy so your spend more time strapping and unstrapping than the journey actually takes!:rolleyes:

Trouble
31-03-2008, 06:36 PM
i have to stand in the rain for 1/2 doing school runs but as of september i wont be doing them anymore i have decided but i havent told parents yet but i will soon

my daughter is going to seniors so i dont have to go the that school ever again:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

manjay
31-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I do playgroup and nursery runs. Tbh I think I would lose a lot of business if I didn't. It is kind of the right of passage in our village. You go to playgroup when you get to 2 1/2, you go into the nursery class when you are 3 (half days for 12 months) and then full time school when you get to 4. The added bonus of course is they pay me for the time they are at both so happy days for me.

amanda xx

berkschick
31-03-2008, 07:36 PM
I dont do any at the moment. Its ok in the Summer but pants in the winter!

Kelly
31-03-2008, 08:16 PM
I don't do any nursery runs at the moment, but did last year and two of my LO's start nursery this year. I would loose them altogether if I did not do the nursery runs. I have to say I can see where the mum is coming from, if her little one has to be in childcare the days she can spend with her are probably extra special.

Its whatever your happy with at the end of the day.

Kelly

Alibali
31-03-2008, 08:23 PM
I can't wait till my three are in nursery, I've told all the parents I can only do mornings and only one nursery, so once they are in I'll have 5 mornings to myself!!!!! Not till August 2009 though, and I suppose by then things may have changed. Ah well I can dream.

Ali :)