PDA

View Full Version : Double buggies and ages

Lyns123
07-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Morning all

I need some advice, i'm expecting my second baby in december (xmas day is my due date :rolleyes: ) I already look after a bunch of under 5's spread out over the week, i have 3 per day including my own daughter.

Just wondered what ages you stopped putting your kiddies in buggies when out, i keep thinking i need to buy a triple buggy as i'll have a newborn and i know 1 of my mindees will need a buggy as he has only just turned 2 in may, my daughter and another mindee are 3 in february, 2 others are 3 in october. Could i get away with a double still with a buggy board, i do that at the moment but once the baby comes it means one will definately need to walk when out unless i get a triple!!

Also, i know i need to inform Ofsted and ask them if i can keep all of my children, when do i need to do that by?

Thanks xxxxxx

PixiePetal
07-07-2010, 07:35 AM
mine have all been good walkers and not in a buggy much after 2 and 1/2. Latest one was just under 3. I don't push any 3 year olds - just take extra time to get anywhere and have a chat about the world around us as we walk.

I don't take on children if I think it will necessitate a triple - bit different if it is your own baby making the numbers rise :)

next year I could possibly have a 2 1/2, just 3yrs and 6 month old. Will still just have the double - or even a single for short trips

suzyblue
07-07-2010, 08:31 AM
I always think getting 2 year olds to walk is going to be a nightmare and we have 2 schools to walk to twice a day and one is up a big hill. We have to start off slowly (which can be stressful when you need to be at another school!) but Im always surprised at how well they do. I start them walking not long after they are two (always because I have younger ones needing the buggy) It takes about a week and then they are fine, walking at a good pace and not falling over! They have reins and hold on to the buggy and this helps to stabilise them. In 18 years and always being full I have not yet needed to get a triple buggy.

Stillgoingstrong
07-07-2010, 09:38 AM
I def wouldnt get a triple as at 3 (which 2 are soon enough) they should be ok with walking without a problem - depends how far though! :rolleyes:

Shirlwith3
07-07-2010, 11:19 AM
When I started minding my yougest dd was 2yrs old so when I took on 2 18 moths she was really good at walking considering she had weak muscle aound her joints, she even put my neighbours daughter to shame as they were both the same age.

I do now hae a triple but that was beacuse I had a 14 month old was disabled then took on 2 babies as had a varitaion to have 2 under 1yrs, since then the 14 month old has left.
I do feel a 2 yr old should be able to walk or at least use a buggy board.

julie w
07-07-2010, 11:26 AM
I have a buggy board which is brilliant for my 2 year old. It fits easily on my double buggy. I also have a buggy pod which clips off and on my double buggy really easily too making it a triple when needed( I couldnt manage without my buggy pod now). So in theory with a double buggy, buggy board and buggy pod you have a 4 seater lol.:panic:

cuffleygirl
07-07-2010, 12:02 PM
This morning I walked back from school with 2 15 month olds in double buggy and a lo who is 3 in October. The older one screamed and cried the whole way back, because she wanted to be in the buggy, didn't want to be on the buggy board and I couldn't carry her, it was awful, she is more than capable of walking and kicks off about all sorts of things (she slept when we got home, at 9.20am for an hour).

Point I'm making is some children can and will walk, sometimes its safer and frankly more convenient to have them in the buggy, depends on the individual child. Most at 2 and a half are capable of walking, whether they will maybe a different matter and when you're hurrying between schools it can be heavy going.

Ali56
07-07-2010, 12:06 PM
i agree with all the others-no need for a triple. What about a baby pouch/carrier for your baby when you need extra room? I know it will be cold but you can zip your coat around baby too, thats what i did! :)

ali x

The Juggler
07-07-2010, 01:10 PM
depends how far you walk hon. Most of mine have done the buggy board from 2 1/2 or take turns in the double and walking. However, if you've two littlies in the buggy you could have one buggy board on it and allow them to take turns on the board/walking.

I also refuse to take on work that requires a triple!

Lyns123
07-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks ladies,

I don't do any school runs, only pre-school from september for 2 of them but they won't need a buggy for that, i was thinking it was more for our days out. I have an merlin annual pass so we have loads of days out at the theme parks during term time ( i'm lucky to be very close to chessington, thorpe park and legoland).

After a day of running about they do get knackered and fight over the buggy, they have no troubles with the buggy board but i guess they just fancy a sit down. They will all nearly be 3 by xmas, should i stick with a double and the board or should i be brave and cut them all off and just use single for the baby!!

I haven't really tested them on how much they can manage without the buggy as it's always been there to plonk in, might be time for some experimenting :idea:

xx

crazyhazy
07-07-2010, 07:18 PM
I would def start experimenting with them walking, even at 21m I now let my dd2 walk a fair distance, am getting her in training for when I have a 12m and 13m old next march time who'll use the double. I'm not worried about her walking by then and she'll be 2y 5m then and we walk everywhere as I don;t drive but I know if I build up gradually she'll be fine.

onceinabluemoon
07-07-2010, 07:37 PM
It depends on the child but as a rough guide I start them walking little bits at around 2 years old but still make sure there's a buggy seat for them.

I will not push any child over the age of three even if their parents do (unless they have mobility problems), this may seem mean but I know (healthy but lazy) 5 year olds who still get rides in the buggy with their parents!

I do have a triple and used it loads when I had 3 under 2s. Now the third seat is upstairs and I just use the double part of it. :)

The Juggler
07-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks ladies,

I don't do any school runs, only pre-school from september for 2 of them but they won't need a buggy for that, i was thinking it was more for our days out. I have an merlin annual pass so we have loads of days out at the theme parks during term time ( i'm lucky to be very close to chessington, thorpe park and legoland).

After a day of running about they do get knackered and fight over the buggy, they have no troubles with the buggy board but i guess they just fancy a sit down. They will all nearly be 3 by xmas, should i stick with a double and the board or should i be brave and cut them all off and just use single for the baby!!

I haven't really tested them on how much they can manage without the buggy as it's always been there to plonk in, might be time for some experimenting :idea:

xx

ooh, where are you - I'm in Sutton - are you near me?

Lyns123
08-07-2010, 10:31 AM
ooh, where are you - I'm in Sutton - are you near me?

I'm in Guildford xx

Mrs.L.C
08-07-2010, 12:09 PM
I would say its depends on how far you have to walk and if they walk much when with parents. I wouldnt use a buggy for 21/2 yr old and up if its less than a mile walk however I do let even the 3 yr old in the buggy on the way home when we are walking to toddler grp or pre school which are almost a 2 mile walk each way so quite far for little legs esp for those who go everywhere in the car with parents but I do encourage them to walk when possible

The Juggler
08-07-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm in Guildford xx

oh shame, bit too far. Might have to meet you in Chessington one day?? though I haven't renewed my pass as I now have a mid morning nursery run which kind of put the kaibosh on my zoo trips:(