PDA

View Full Version : Sun Safety Question

buildingblocks
06-07-2010, 09:14 PM
I have a policy that states I do not take children outside when the sun is at its hottest roughly between 11.30 and 2.30 as my garden has very little shade and whilst I have a lovely covered deck area you try stopping the little angels from going off it and onto the unshaded area (I am aiming to some fence it off to stop this). One of my parents doesn't agree with me and says child should be allowed into the garden whenever and that my rules are silly ( pointed out she has signed she agrees with my policies so I am sticking to it). I was wondering what you all do and if perhaps I am overreacting.

I also provide the suncream for all my children (once had a parent bring factor 10 for a lo)and get the parents to test it on a settling in visit to check they are okay with it. This also saves me having to take out 6 bottels of suncream when going to the park, etc.

I have one parent at the moment who provides their own as child has very sensitive skin and when in the garden last week was reading the label on her sun cream it states that no child under 3 should be allowed out in the sun - can't rememebr exact wording but htat was what it was saying if that makes sense.

Monkey26
06-07-2010, 09:27 PM
In many respects i agree with your policy about not being in the sun between 11 and 3 but as an individual i just cannot stick to that, especially as some of my children do half days, various nap times etc - we would never get any fresh air! So i make sure they are smothered in a high factor suncream, a hat (when it stays on!) shorts and tshirt.

Little ones come outside with us as well but i just make sure they are wearing loose fitting cotton clothing that is breathable and where possible long sleeved/legged and under a sun shade/umbrella

As a general routine we are out and about in the morning, home for lunch at 12noon then it is nap time anyways until the school run so we miss the hottest part of the day but in the holidays everything is different so i just have to be careful and sensible :D

We got given this fact page at a recent course and it makes for very interesting reading: http://www.skincancer.org/sun-protection-for-babies-and-toddlers.html x

The Juggler
06-07-2010, 09:54 PM
mine go outside at all times but if say we're out and it's very hot, I'll give em half hour then get them inside in the shade for a drink for a while. they then tend to play indooors for a while before asking to go back out.

that' way they are free to do a bit of both:)

mushpea
07-07-2010, 06:05 AM
we go in and out all the time and if its really hot then like the last post we stay out for a while and then come in again,, however I do not allow children outside if they dont wear a hat or bring suncream and have had to do this only twice this year so far with seperate children who both brought hats the next day. if we are out and they have no cream or hat then i make them stay in the shade.

The Juggler
07-07-2010, 06:20 AM
we go in and out all the time and if its really hot then like the last post we stay out for a while and then come in again,, however I do not allow children outside if they dont wear a hat or bring suncream and have had to do this only twice this year so far with seperate children who both brought hats the next day. if we are out and they have no cream or hat then i make them stay in the shade.

:thumbsup: I do the same. No hat, no outdoor. I keep a stock of spare hats (keep em from the holiday clubs abroad and my kids olds ones) and have permission to use my suncream if they forget.

angiemog
07-07-2010, 06:21 AM
mine go outside at all times but if say we're out and it's very hot, I'll give em half hour then get them inside in the shade for a drink for a while. they then tend to play indooors for a while before asking to go back out.

I do this too. I make sure I have spare hats, if they are outside they always wear a hat. x

angeldelight
07-07-2010, 07:58 AM

Yes we do the same

Sometimes we can not avoid being out when the sun is really hot but we make sure we are prepared for it

The kids love being out all day on nice sunny days and my garden like yours is full of sun

Lots of suncream - sunhats and lots of drinks

To be honest Kate I have never heard of anyone not taking the kids out at certain times of the day how do you manage that my kids would be going crazy :laughing:

Angel xxx

little chickee
07-07-2010, 01:16 PM
You are advised to avoid the sun between 11 and 3 if possible but this is rarely practical. Just apply lots and lots of sunscreen and do as already suggested long sleeves, hats, drinks, time spent under sunshades.

buildingblocks
07-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Yes we do the same

Sometimes we can not avoid being out when the sun is really hot but we make sure we are prepared for it

The kids love being out all day on nice sunny days and my garden like yours is full of sun

Lots of suncream - sunhats and lots of drinks

To be honest Kate I have never heard of anyone not taking the kids out at certain times of the day how do you manage that my kids would be going crazy :laughing:

Angel xxx

To be honest it has always worked as it is usually covered by preparation for lunch/lunchtime/sleep time anyway but this may change soon. I am talking little ones (under 5's) for this and obviously I know we have to let them out whenever they want as stated EYFS. In the holidays older ones go out as and when they want anyway. But may be starting with an under 5 who does not sleep which is reason for asking so am rethinking policy if that makes sense.

This year it is different for me as I now have the decked area so do have some shade but previous years there has been no shade at all and I am unable to cope with the heat (give me winter any day lol) and have been known to pass out if I get too hot which concerns me.