PDA

View Full Version : Another 'the other site' debate....

venus89
06-07-2010, 04:37 PM
http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/lifestyle-8/work-study-childcare-44/440977-childminder-trouble.html

but with a few notable exceptions then I think we've been fairly represented here. Interesting though that some parents feel that asking to be paid on Bank Holidays and when the parents take time off is akin to daylight robbery :laughing:

angeldelight
07-07-2010, 08:39 AM
I cant really comment because I do not charge for bank holidays

Interesting debate

Angel xx

JulieA
07-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't charge for BH either - only because I don't want to work them!! I also don't charge for my holidays as I feel that parents would also need to then pay someone else anyway. I do charge parents half fee if their child is not with me though - holidays or sick.

Pipsqueak
07-07-2010, 11:51 AM
I had a lot of my posts removed or edited in response to certain peoples 'opinions' over there. There was nothing in my posts that were rude or abusive but apparently I contravene rules because I challenged the statements that its daylight robbery, parents are being ripped off.
there were some worse statements on there that I really took umbrage to but apparently according to netmums its ok to say that but a childminder cannot have the right of reply or to challenge anothers views. I was being 'argumentative'!:rolleyes:

Hebs
07-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Yeah pip i know what your on about!

Shes just looking for an arguement!

green puppy
07-07-2010, 12:31 PM
I too had a couple of my posts removed. Feel quite sorry really for the " poster " that made the insulting comments, obviously an unhappy person! Perhaps jealous that we get to be at home with our children, doing a job we love and being successful and professional business owners!:)

Rubybubbles
07-07-2010, 12:36 PM
I was reading that thread the other night:)

Pips lol, I didn't even click it was you!! cos I know your other name;)

The Juggler
07-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I had a lot of my posts removed or edited in response to certain peoples 'opinions' over there. There was nothing in my posts that were rude or abusive but apparently I contravene rules because I challenged the statements that its daylight robbery, parents are being ripped off.
there were some worse statements on there that I really took umbrage to but apparently according to netmums its ok to say that but a childminder cannot have the right of reply or to challenge anothers views. I was being 'argumentative'!:rolleyes:

:eek: :eek: they took yours off for challenging but are allowed to say CM's are committing daylight robbery and those posts get to stay! That's is shocking. There are far more venomous posts on there that get to stay.:panic: :panic:

venus89
08-07-2010, 12:59 PM
ISn#t that always the wasy though?

So hard to type when the cat's licking my hands.... eugh

HomefromHome
08-07-2010, 01:31 PM
this is the way i see it...

if you dont want to work bank holidays and say you dont then i agree, dont charge..

if you do want to work bh, and say you are available, then, if it is a contracted day that the child would normally come, then normal charge is applicable. i personally charge double if they actually do attend on a bh...

BUT 9/10 times they dont come and you get the day off!:D

ps. this is just my opinion!!!!!!:D

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
08-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I have been watching this debate as well, someone has just put it gripes her when her childminder gives her her holiday dates as she says it dicates when she takes her holidays - I am sorry but aren't we allowed to take holidays. x

Carol M
08-07-2010, 02:58 PM
:angry: :angry: I read but daren't post! :angry: :angry:
I find this a most objectional site for childminders and won't waste my energy getting into an arguement on there.
Carol xx

Hebs
08-07-2010, 04:49 PM
i've just replied.....

maybe us childminder should stop charging for bank holidays, annual holidays, teacher training days etc but start charging rates that other self employed people charge

so how does £160+ per 8 hour day sound???

Hhhhmmmmmm no i didn't think you'd be happy with that as some people think £4 per hour is too much

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

little chickee
08-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Thats a great point of view Hebs - i totally agree with you. I might try that!

People happily pay £8 an hour to get their house cleaned or their ironing done but we are "ripping them off" with £3.50 per hour.

I get told "but you've got 3 today thats 3x the pay" HELLO! its also 3 x the work! And what about the days when i only have 1?

Hebs
08-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Thats a great point of view Hebs - i totally agree with you. I might try that!

People happily pay £8 an hour to get their house cleaned or their ironing done but we are "ripping them off" with £3.50 per hour.

I get told "but you've got 3 today thats 3x the pay" HELLO! its also 3 x the work! And what about the days when i only have 1?

this point of view ALWAYS :censored: me off big time, but as soon as you say, oh well you look after them then, they go OH NO i couldnt cope with that many :rolleyes:

WibbleWobble
08-07-2010, 05:48 PM
that shut them up!:thumbsup:

mandy xxxx

AliceK
08-07-2010, 06:00 PM
I have been watching this debate as well, someone has just put it gripes her when her childminder gives her her holiday dates as she says it dicates when she takes her holidays - I am sorry but aren't we allowed to take holidays. x

Yes when I read that bit earlier I thought :censored: are we not allowed to take hols then :angry: . I will give my parents as much notice as I can (contract states min 4 weeks) this year I gave my hol dates out in April I took 1 day in June, 1 week in Aug and 1 week at Xmas. Surely thats enough notice. Some parents want it all :angry: Oh and I don't charge for my hols.

xxxxxx

rickysmiths
08-07-2010, 08:48 PM
What gets me is that a lot of parents have more holidays than us. Once they start using childcare why do they resent having to co-ordinate holidays so much? It is something I have been doing with my parents for years now.

We discuss holidays in Jan and arrange to go away at the same time for the main ones. I have never had to arrange cover for my holidays and doing it this way the parents don't need it. They always seem to have more time off than me anyway and some of the time mum or dad will take time off and enjoy spending time with their children.

The way people are talking on that thread you wonder if some parents ever take any holiday or that it doesn'r occur to them to take it the same time as the minder. Does no one know the art of compromise these days? As a parent I am always compromising to accomodate family life.

The Juggler
08-07-2010, 08:59 PM
i've just replied.....

maybe us childminder should stop charging for bank holidays, annual holidays, teacher training days etc but start charging rates that other self employed people charge

so how does £160+ per 8 hour day sound???

Hhhhmmmmmm no i didn't think you'd be happy with that as some people think £4 per hour is too much

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

what about a call out fee for just being at home:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hebs
08-07-2010, 09:01 PM
what about a call out fee for just being at home:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

yeah the fee for being on call 24/7 :thumbsup: