PDA

View Full Version : Counting downwards

Zoomie
06-07-2010, 03:51 PM
My mindee, just 3, counts by rote from 1-30 and also in 5's (courtesy mindee brother who is 5.5).

Would like to try and get her to count down from ten. I know the usual, five little monkey's / ducks / children jumping on the bed / went swimming one day, I can't think of any other backward counting songs.

Except one about a spaceship that my boys sang when they were little (6 years ago).

Goes something on the lines of

Polish up the spaceship, shine shine shine,
Pour in the petrol, glug glug glug
Pull down the hatch, ???
???
???
10,9,8, .. 3,2,1
Blast Off.

Anyone know the rest of the words, and any other songs that encourage counting downwards.

blue bear
06-07-2010, 04:09 PM
dont knowyour spaceship song, we sing

5 little men in a flying saucer flew round the world one day, they looked left and right didn't like the sight so one man flew away away woosh! (tweenies sing it alot)

miffy
06-07-2010, 05:41 PM
How about this one

Climb aboard the Spaceship! added 2-19-98 Original Author Unknown
Sung to: "itsy bitsy spider"

Climb aboard the spaceship,
We're going to the moon.
hurry and get ready,
We're going to blast off soon.
Put on your helmets
And buckle up real tight.
Here comes the countdown,
Let's count with all our might.
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1---BLAST OFF!!

Miffy xx

The Juggler
06-07-2010, 06:35 PM
My mindee, just 3, counts by rote from 1-30 and also in 5's (courtesy mindee brother who is 5.5).

Would like to try and get her to count down from ten. I know the usual, five little monkey's / ducks / children jumping on the bed / went swimming one day, I can't think of any other backward counting songs.

Except one about a spaceship that my boys sang when they were little (6 years ago).

Goes something on the lines of

Polish up the spaceship, shine shine shine,
Pour in the petrol, glug glug glug
Pull down the hatch, ???
???
???
10,9,8, .. 3,2,1
Blast Off.

Anyone know the rest of the words, and any other songs that encourage counting downwards.

why not just have space as a smallworld resource and just join in teaching her the countdown to blastoff.

There's the sausage song (fat ones in a pan) which is good. This also uses fingers and using fingers and saying numbers helps make links in the area of the brain used in maths. Also 10 green bottles counts down but there is too long between the numbers I think for them to understand they are actually counting backwards.

crazyhazy
06-07-2010, 10:34 PM
We do zoom zoom zoom at toddlers

zoom zoom zoom
we're going to the moon
zoom zoom zoom
we'll get there really soon
5 4 3 2 1
Blast off!