PDA

View Full Version : Childmindg Group Help!

emma04
31-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi

Not sure whether i am posting this thread in the right place, so please re-direct elsewhere if necessary.

I have only been childminding for 4 weeks, but i got chatting to another childminder a couple of weeks ago and she told me that there was an emergency meeting for the childminders in my area (southam) to discuss whether or not it was worth continuing with the group (Southam Area Childminding Group) and would i like to go along. Of course i said yes and also pointed out that other than looking on the childcare link website, i had no idea there were childminders in the Southam area as no one advertises!

Anyway..... I attended the meeting and thankfully it was very positive, although only 7 people out of the 15 who were invited by letter actually came!! (and i was a last minute verbal invite as no. 7!):angry:

We have decided that we need to meet once a month for formal meetings about training, ofsted etc and that we need to meet fornightly on a less formal note, bringing our mindees with us, for coffe, chat, activity sharing and anything else on a more social level. This i think is a fab idea.

However my home work for the next meeting (3rd April) was to find out about people who run small workshops for children or that children would be interested in that could come and do something at one of the informal fortnightly meetings per month (we want to have a planned activity going on every other fortnight as well as it being a social) We would also like someone to come along and do a workshop for us childminders every other 2 months at our formal meeting (head massage, aromeatherapy etc.!!!!!!!):panic:

Has anyone got any suggestions, ideas on absolutely anything, i am calling on all experienced area childminding groups to give me some help so that i in turn can help save the one in my area.

Thank you!!:)

ajs
31-03-2008, 11:25 AM
if you have any money in the group account

you could ask any of the music groups caterpillar jo jingles or others

tiny talk baby signing classes

health visitor baby massage classes

any fo those any use to you xx

tulip0803
31-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Try contacting your CIS they may have info on some workshops. Ours holds info on Langauge and Play and numbers and play workshops amongst other things (I think these are only Welsh though) you may have similar.

Also ask whether your local NCMA office knows of anything that may help.

Where I used to mind we had someone from the local toy library come out, someone from the book library as childminders could take 30 books out a month the same as schools (she also brought bookstart packs for everyone) and someone ran a workshop on storysacks, how to make and use them. I don't know if these are available in your area I think it will be case of asking around.

Face painting workshop?

Pipsqueak
31-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Brilliant on it being such a positive meeting and for you to volunteer to do stuff to keep it going.:clapping:

How about getting friendly with local playgroups/nurseries and see what resources they may have as well.

Contact your local Road Safety Team at the council - they can often do a session, your local community police officer, fire brigade.

Are there any Soccatots sessions around you.

Good luck and well done

Tatia
31-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Storytellers are great fun. If you don't have the money to hire someone, then just choose your most outgoing member, dress them up and then hand out instruments to all the children and have them join in!

angeldelight
31-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Just wanted to say good luck

Angel xx

ajs
31-03-2008, 04:01 PM
you could always contact the language and communication therapist (speach)
at the local hospital as they sometimes go out into the community to work with the children and ask them to do a session
they should be free too

Polly2
31-03-2008, 04:36 PM
What about asking the local health visitor?

I know in our area she organises breast feeding support classes, baby massage etc at baby groups.

Just an idea - hope it goes well xx

emma04
31-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks to everyone! Have listed everything and will get on the phone and email.

Thanks Again!!:clapping: :laughing: