PDA

View Full Version : Would I, Could I, Should I?

Carpet Monkeys
04-07-2010, 06:44 PM
My Network Co-ordinator contacted me yesterday to say that a minder in our area is giving up and looking for after school care for twins she currently minds. I've already got a son of 7 and another little one lined up who'll be 5 in November to collect 3-4 days a week.

So the Would I, be able to get a variation for the twins?
Could I, mention to the Network Co-ordinator to ask this minder if she has any other children she is trying to find alternate care for?
Should I, I think I know the mother of the twins (in passing only), should I pop one of my flyers through her letterbox?

Mrs.L.C
04-07-2010, 07:13 PM
why would you need a variation? can you not have 6 children under the age of 8? I would ask the childminder to pass your details on to the parent either way

sarah707
04-07-2010, 07:57 PM
How many are you registered for?

You should be fine if it's the usual 6 under 8 :D

Carpet Monkeys
04-07-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm registered for 5, as my son is 7yrs old. I thought you were only allowed to have 3 in the 5-8 age range at any one time, gosh I'm so confused!

selena 31
04-07-2010, 08:13 PM
i think it is 3 under 5 then you could have 2 between 5 and 7.so with your own child would make 6 under 8.

judisteve
04-07-2010, 08:15 PM
It probably reads something like this: may care for 5 children under 8, of which 3 may be in the Early years age group, of which 1 may be under 1. If you don't have your full quoter in the early years group then you can have the extras over 5. EG if you had 1 6 months old and 1 two year old, the other 3 could then all be over 5 (or in full time school) You might just need to let them know if any of them are still younger than the end of the EYFS (31st August after their 5th birthday) but in full time education as they can then count in the older age group.
Hope that hasn't confused you more?! If in doubt give Ofsted a ring - I generally find them quite helpful.
Judi

Zoomie
04-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah, you could have 5x 5-8y, and none in the 0-5y children.

How long till your son is 8, and how many preschoolers do you have ?

Carpet Monkeys
04-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Son will be 8 in February 11

Twins are 6

Other after schoolie will be 5 in November (just to confirm, once she turns 5 she'll go into the 5-8 range, but will I still have to do EYFS with her?)

Currently no under 5's

So am I right in thinking I can do this, but have only 1 under 5 when I have these after schoolies?

miffy
04-07-2010, 09:02 PM
You can't have more than 6 children under 8 including your own children.

You are registered for 5 children so you can have the twins, the 5 yo and your own son.

If the child who is 5 in November is in full time education then she counts in your 5 to 8 yo's which means you would have 2 under 5 spaces free (you need a special condition on your certificate to allow this)

EYFS continues until the 31 August following the child's fifth birthday so yes you would have to do obs etc on her.

HTH's

Miffy xx

Carpet Monkeys
04-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Miffy - thank you, it's clear as mud now, so I need to contact ofsted regarding the 5 year old for the special condition to be added, think I'm getting it now, it's all changed so much since I last minded back in 2004!!!

miffy
04-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Depends what it says on your certificate already - have a look at this thread it should explain what I meant

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=57685

Sorry if I've confused you

Miffy xx

Carpet Monkeys
04-07-2010, 09:43 PM
I do have a statement on my certificate along the lines of 'when caring for 4 or 5 year olds who are in full time education, may increase the number blah blah blah' is that the special condition?

amirose
05-07-2010, 07:45 AM
I do have a statement on my certificate along the lines of 'when caring for 4 or 5 year olds who are in full time education, may increase the number blah blah blah' is that the special condition?

Yes :clapping: