PDA

View Full Version : Well theres another great idea up the swanny!

Vyx
03-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Hi Folks

After lots of tears and frustration I have decided to put my childminding business on hold :(

I have been registered since March and had exactly 1 enquiry that amounted to a big fat nothing :(

Unfortunately, like everyone else, I have bills to pay and my Husband's salary just isn't covering everything and we are running the risk of yet more debt so I'm going to have to get a full time job (I am temping but it's not full time, consistant or decent enough paid). Also my DH's job is under question and he is signed off with depression so need to get a job or we may not be able to pay the rent soon.

I am absolutely gutted and can't understand the lack of available business, all through my course and registration process I was constantly told that my area is "crying out for childminders" but 1 enquiry since March just isnt tenable anymore.

Does anyone know what my options are in respect of returning to childminding? Does my registration become void after a certain amount of time and will I have to re register etc? I don't want to abandon it forever, but for the foreseeable future I just have to be earning decent money to keep our heads above water :(

Sorry for the rant and thanks for reading.

Vyx

xx

brightstar
03-07-2010, 06:56 AM
I am so sorry to hear you're struggling. I was like that at first. It took me 7 months after registering to get my first mindees. And along came a family of 5 who are still with me a year later. Since then I have become really busy. Good luck with the job hunt, but keep advertising just in case, you never know what the future holds. Sending you some phone ringing vibes.............
Hope your DH feels better soon. :group hug:

huggableshelly
03-07-2010, 07:06 AM
you can stay registered without working for a period of 3 years then Ofsted will remove you. You will still need to pay Ofsted anual fees and your insurance but it helps to keep your options open.

If you de-register you have to go through the full registration process again but will not have to re-do the ICP course.

angeldelight
03-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Oh thats a shame

I know it can sometimes take longer than you expect

I need to advertise again myself soon and I am hoping that I dont wait long for those calls

Also hope things improve with your hubby hope he feels better soon

Good luck

Angel xx

Kimmy050983
03-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Oh gosh, vyx, so sorry to hear that!!

We´ve been on the same course. have you had the development officer round? She just came round mine and told me about childminding networks and people who sort vacancies in my area (a childminder doing this) , maybe something like this is available where you are?

Kimmy x

Carpet Monkeys
03-07-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm in exactly the same boat, been registered since Jan 10 and still no one on my books. I've been in contact with my local Network Co-ordinator and within two days of seeing her may have twins after school starting in September.

Don't de-register, I had to when I moved overseas and had to complete the ICP course all over again.

I'm working full time for an agency (have been since Nov 08), for the same company -, it was supposed to be for 6 weeks contract but they keep extending it. I like the fact that if I were to get a call today for someone to start on Monday I can just call the agency on Monday and say 'I'm not coming back', I'm so waiting for that day!

Sending you positive vibes ....... are you on Gumtree, Freeindex, Yell.com?

sarah707
03-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Sorry to hear you are having problems getting children. It is really patchy at the moment through the country.

Your local bods should be helping you, it's part of their job. You should also be coming up for potential customers on your Family Info Services site.

I would recommend against letting your Ofsted registration lapse. It is likely to be hard to get it back.

Don't be a stranger xx

dawn37
03-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Hi, I think somebody else said about a network? I've joined the Children Come First Network in my area & I am bursting at the seams, she cannot find enough childminders to cover the placements..I'm now doing 7 days a week for most of the summer holidays. The co-ordinator did say its always busy at holiday times & then it dies off a bit but if there were a network near you perhaps if you could get on it it would tide you over a bit longer? sending you positive vibes & lots of hugs anyway :group hug:

Dawn xxx

pinkbutterfly
04-07-2010, 01:58 AM
I'd just like to say don't give up just yet. Now it's the time parents look for childminders for September. By all means look for a job becuase you do need money to pay the bills. But try to put a word in everywhere you can. Have you advertised everywhere you can? Have you been to local schools with your business cards? I know many schools in my area are happy to keep details on file in case parents ask if they have a list of childminders willing to pick up from a particular school. Try toddler groups as well ... they'll often be happy to display an advert for you but you must be quick because they do break up for summer soon. Also have you made friends with other local childminders? Childminders are often happy to pass details on when they have an enquiry they can't take on. That's how my first enquiry came. I only been registered for 3 weeks now but already have 2 children waiting to sign the paperwork when it finally arrives. And I live in an area where apparently there are enough childminders. Hope all goes well for you ... either way .... as a childminder or an employee xxx

padpad83
04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Oh dear! :( it's not nice to feel like this after how much effort you put into it to getting registered as a childminder, i hope the phone rings for you real soon.

i'm nearly registered now but i've had to get a part time evening job just to help out with bills etc,,,
have you left any cards with local school nursery's? my dd starts hers in september & i told the teachers there that i'm hoping to be a registered childminder by aug/sept & she told me they are always having parents ask if they know of any childminders, local shops, toddler groups, children centres, doctors & childminder groups as others have said get to know them & any enquirys they get they can pass on to you! Good Luck :)

Emz
04-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Sending you phone vibes and *=HUGS=* hun x

CHUNKY MONKEY
05-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Wanted to send you a big hug :group hug:

WibbleWobble
05-07-2010, 03:08 PM
right!

you need to get yourself down t'other side of town to me. i will help you. I have certain local school asking me for places regularly...i am full...so you need to come over and tell me what you can do. Then when i am asked i can put them through to you.etc etc etc....

this is my new mission

You know how to get me

mandy xxxxxxx

Vyx
10-07-2010, 06:00 AM
Hi Guys

Many many thanks for all your messages, your support is so much appreciated.

Mandy - will inbox you in a sec, I can't tell you how much I value your help and support.

In answer to some of the questions -

I have advertised on the regular places, Vivastreet, gumtree, mumsnet, netmums, childcare.co.uk etc. I have contacted parents looking for childcare via childcare.co.uk. I have had 1 referral from another childminder (many thanks again to ParsletPetal!) who didn't even respond to my email reply to her enquiry (which was very well written and basically said I could work with all of her criteria). The schools in my catchment area were surprisingly (to me anyway) unhelpful and wouldn't allow me to leave details/post on the noticeboard etc. I appreciate they have to be careful but, come on, I have all of the requisite paperwork to prove I am legit!!!!! By the way I was spoken to by one school staff member you would think that I had asked for children for a ritual sacrifice!

I have attended several local childminder drop in sessions and met some lovely ladies who have taken my details. I also have a website.

I will contact my support advisor woman and see if she can help me.

I am working for the next 12 days straight (I'm knackered just thinking about it and I'm only on day 2 LOL) with the temp agency, who are aware of my situ and that I need more work etc etc.

I'm just so deflated at the total lack of interest :(

Many thanks for all of the messages.

Vyx
xx

Kimmy050983
10-07-2010, 07:26 AM
Vicky, have you tried toddler groups and tumble tots etc?
It´s probably easier for people like me as I have got my own child and go to lots of groups and people get to see me interacting with my him.
But I would try and maybe let the leaders put out some flyers for you, they are really nice there and get LOTS of people each day!!

HomefromHome
10-07-2010, 07:32 AM
surestart centres are agood way too if there are any local to you? good luck with everything:)

coffee-time
11-07-2010, 08:15 AM
i know how you feel, ive been registered since april and ive only had 2 enquiries so far, my problem is i still have a job at the mo, i work for royal mail mon-wed and have done for 15 yrs (waiting to hear about redundancy so want to hang on for that too)!, i cant just leave as cant afford to till i get some children to mind but when i do get an enquiry i can only offer thurs and fri which isnt always what people want! so im stuck at the minute as to what to do, ive already got my ncma membership for the year too which is going to waste! i think if you do get another job just keep advertising anyway you never know what might come up especially as its meant to get busier this time of year!?
good luck.

arly
11-07-2010, 01:28 PM
So sorry to hear this hope you get sorted soon. :)

I am in the process of filling forms etc for the registration process and fingers crossed it goes well but as i'm working part time i am going to fit my childminding in around my evening work as a carer for now until I see how things go. Dont want to leave myself out of pocket :(