PDA

View Full Version : compost box

ourmadhouse
03-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Iv just bought one of them Bokashi kitchen compost boxes and im so excited to watch all my food waste turn into compost never mind the kids! . . .
(although i am starting to wonder if they are leaving more and more food on the plates just so they can feed the box!)

had it up and running for a week now and im very imprest, no bad wiffs even with all this heat and my none recycle bin just seems to have nappys in.

ourmadhouse
03-07-2010, 12:06 AM
:eek: impressed. . . it must be getting late :blush:

squiggle
03-07-2010, 06:19 AM
i have brought one of these with with my capital grant - brought things for the garden.

What have you been putting in yours?? i need to look into it all

x

PixiePetal
03-07-2010, 07:15 AM
sounds just what we need. Think I will get the regular compost heap started first then get one of these. We do seem to have quite a bit of food waste :blush: which can't be composted in the usual way.

Thanks for the idea :thumbsup:

ourmadhouse
03-07-2010, 09:25 AM
i chuck everything in it even the apples and pears that are waste from the garden, fish skin and even spent flowers. it says in the leaflet you can even put rew meat in it.

The only things it says NOT to is tobacco ash, tea bags, pet waste and large meat bones.
(and all the obvious plastics and tins and glass)

oh and the less liquid you put in, say from cereal ect the faster it decomposes.
squishing it daily to get any air out and draining any excess liquid helps too.

birch24
03-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi

Where did you get it from?

:D

ourmadhouse
04-07-2010, 09:29 AM
I got mine from ebay cost £42 with two kitchen boxes and two bags of bokashi bran.

I later found a website called www.getcomposting.com it asks you for your post code to see if your local council do a recycling / compost scheme and it enables you to buy all sorts (kitchen composts, garden composts, water butt, even a wormery) at a reduced price.
(i could of got the same thing for £35 but never mind)