PDA

View Full Version : plz help

hollyoaksmad
02-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I had a phone call today from potential parents they are from Latvia the dad speaks English but not well he said his gf is picking up his daughter from latvia and they need childcare but their daughter speaks NO English how can i get around this when she comes to visit and if they want me as he said he really does want me lol plz help

Daftbat
02-07-2010, 06:47 PM
I would be a bit wary with this one - if you search the forum you will see other enquiries which seem a bit dodgy - this job is hard enough without the language problems. If you go ahead and meet them then make sure you are thorough with your info and details about what they want. it may be legit but my gut instinct is to run a mile. - sorry

hollyoaksmad
02-07-2010, 06:51 PM
oh gawd reli cud u point me in the direction ov these posts plz xx

Daftbat
03-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Just use the advanced search and type in some words or phrases linking to overseas or foreign enquries etc. It may all be genuine but be careful

margimum
03-07-2010, 11:15 AM
You could ask at your local childrens centre or health centre if they have an interpreter available. I have a polish family and more and more information is being provided in other languages.
Children are all the same (and all different!) so don't be put off by language difficulties. You could let them take written information away to get translated.
Get a childrens dictionary with pictures and point to nappies, etc.!:laughing:

NaggyNat
03-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I have just taken on an Italian boy who moved over here on the Saturday and started with me on the Monday. Language wasn't a problem!! Don't be put off...

Good luck xx

Pipsqueak
03-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Ask your local council about interpretive services.
You could use BabelFish to translate some information.

you could dual language posters for the child etc

A colleague of mind took on a Polish child and a Ukranian child within weeks of each other - neither spoke any English, the parents of the Ukranian child spoke a little English.
It all worked out fine

blue bear
04-07-2010, 09:07 AM
I had a child from south Africa, very little English by mum, dad was ok.

Child soon picked it up, I used lots of photos to begin with and wrote out phrases parents used so I could say things like mum and home etc in her own language (just wrote them as I heard them)

keep things simple and clear when they visit, pointing works wonders!! lol

good luck