PDA

View Full Version : Who pays for outings?

little chickee
01-07-2010, 01:37 PM
With the school summer holidays almost here (1 day to go!!) I am trying to plan my schedule for the holidays.

I am hoping for good weather and lots of trips to the beach, playpark etc but in the case of bad weather I will have 3 under 3's plus my own school age kids and will want to take them to softplay etc.

I am also looking into visits to local farms, wildlife parks etc.

i am wondering about wheter to ask the parents to pay for their childs entrance fee or to pay for it myself and claim as expenses - can you let me know what you do?

Thanks.

Pedagog
01-07-2010, 01:39 PM
I normally just pay it, as most places are free for under 5's anyway.

rickysmiths
01-07-2010, 01:41 PM
I normally pay it, it goes down as expenses anyway.

Rubybubbles
01-07-2010, 01:41 PM
I pay so parents can't tell me what they think I should do:p

I only go once a week to somewhere that would cost though! Look on your local going out (I think thats what is called) they often have free children's vouchers and stuff:thumbsup:

I write mine and mindies expenses through the books!

AliceK
01-07-2010, 01:42 PM
All outings are included in my prices so I would pay.

xxx

WibbleWobble
01-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Depends really.....

soft play, local farm i pay.

But half term i took bigguns to chester on the train...asked parents for £10 to cover ticket and entrance fee for Deva museum. I paid for a treat tea.

No problems from mums and dads.

I bought a family rail card so the trains will be cheaper

Planning trips to Cadbury world, Llandudno and Liverpool this hols!!!!

must be mad

mandy xxx

Millenium
01-07-2010, 02:10 PM
I don't mind school children and have no school-aged children of my own so when I go somewhere, the outings tend to be less expensive as the children will typically be between 18 and 36 months and I have not charged in the past.

Chatterbox Childcare
01-07-2010, 02:13 PM
I negotaite at the signing of contacts for an additional £10 per week per child for each week of all school holidays. Anything over that I usually absorb into my costs or if it is unusual, i.e. Longleat was £15 last year, I discuss it with the parents

Stillgoingstrong
01-07-2010, 02:24 PM
I have in my contract that if we go on days out that involve an entrance fee and or charge for transport i.e. train ride etc that the cost will be met by parents. I do say that any trips that will incur an extra charge will be agreed with parents before any arrangements are made and that these will be kept to a minimum. We usually do one a week that costs, and the rest local freebies. Parents have always been fine.:clapping:

angiemog
01-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I always pay as most of mine are under 5s. I have a season ticket for 2 places and search for buy one get one free. I also save tesco vouchers and convert them into days out for my mindees. It really depends on the ages of children you mind. I only have one schoolie and he's my nephew my sister would always pay for him if needed. I think if I had lots of children then I would consider charging. xx

miffy
01-07-2010, 03:10 PM
I usually charge parents for entrance fees as some places are quite expensive.

I wouldn't usually do more than 1 a week, if that and look for free activities locally for other days

Miffy xx

Hebs
01-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Me and Cher have something planned for every day of the school holidays and all but 2 of our days are free!

No way am i being stuck indoors when we can be out and about x

miffy
01-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Me and Cher have something planned for every day of the school holidays and all but 2 of our days are free!

No way am i being stuck indoors when we can be out and about x

It's nice when you've got somebody to go out with and the kids usually enjoy it too

Miffy xx

charleyfarley
01-07-2010, 04:22 PM
I pay for any outings we go on but do use the Tesco club vouchers so they end up being free :D Parents do normally send some spending money for them, although some parents don't even send that :rolleyes:

We used them for Cadbury World last year, Mandy you'll have a great time there.

Need to sort out where we are going this year, thought about the LegoWorld Discovery Centre. Will have to have a look at Tescos website :thumbsup:

Carol xx

loocyloo
01-07-2010, 05:22 PM
I pay so parents can't tell me what they think I should do:p

I only go once a week to somewhere that would cost though! Look on your local going out (I think thats what is called) they often have free children's vouchers and stuff:thumbsup:

I write mine and mindies expenses through the books!

i have one parent who would decide that what i wanted to do wasn't suitable, so i usually only tell them at the last minute and its non-negotiable at that point! i did arrange that she would pay for trips, but decided very quickly its better to absorb the cost myself, than have everyone elses day ruined by her saying no! the rest of mine are LO so generally no cost, or my own children!

we do alot of free or money off events!

xxx

Blue Boy
02-07-2010, 07:31 PM
All outings are included in my prices so I would pay.

xxx

Same here, but parents do offer to pay a small amount to help with the extra costs:)

little chickee
04-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies - I think I will pay for the soft play and farm visits myself and put through as expenses - and if we go somewhere more expensive ask for a donation.

My own 3 boys are 13, 10 and 7 and i'm only taking 1 week off during the school holidays so i am trying to find a balance for them between mindees and them.

Its their school holidays afterall and i feel its not fair to have all the activities we do be strictly at toddler level ( i only mind under 5's) so maybe i can do some outings that suit them all and just charge a bit for the more expensive ones but it tricky if a parent then doesnt want to pay.

If you had an outing planned for the day and a parent didnt want their child to go on that outing for whatever reason what would you do?

Mollymop
04-07-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't drive so have to pay for a taxi to take us anywhere. i went to a soft play centre in the half term hols and it cost me £40 just for 2 hours play, as I had to pay out £20 for the taxi fare and then entry and drinks etc

i will defo be asking for a contribution next time we decide to go anywhere. I just can't afford to pay out that each time we go somewhere nice for the day:panic:

Monkey26
04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Parents! They know it when we draw up contracts and have only ever had 1 family kick off about it (the night before, despite plenty of warning!) so i just said well thats your choice but as all the other families have already agreed you will have to find alternative childcare...! Needless to say the children turned up that morning with the money :)
Sounds harsh but i have 6 kids (all varying ages) a day in the holidays and i refuse to stay home all day every day! I do a plan every holiday so all family has plenty of notice and can change their childs day if they really dont want to pay!!! I also ensure that there is an equal amount, or more, free activities :D xx

AnnieM
04-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I generally pay for soft play, toddlers etc., but ask parents to pay for more expensive outings, I pay for the fuel and my own entry but just ask parents to pay for their own childs entry fees. Friday we went to Clumber Park for the day so I paid for that as it is £5.20 for the car, worth every penny as they would have driven me scatty if we'd stayed home. :panic: Tomorrow we are going to a play centre and I am asking parents to pay as they are older and want lunch at McD's, I don't have these 2 that often so don't feel bad asking parents to pay, they know what they're like when couped up at home. :eek: I do only do 1 paid for trip a week throughout the summer, the rest are parks etc.
I did once have a parent complain about paying for me to mind her child and paying for a nice day out for me!! :angry: Yes I really couldn't think of anywhere but Sundown Adventureland that I would rather be aged 42. :rolleyes: She was politely told that if she didn't want him to come that was fine but she would still have to pay for the days minding as I was still available. She paid and has never complained since. :thumbsup:

Gizmo
04-07-2010, 08:18 PM
little chickee, check with the venue you get lots of discounts with your SCMA card :thumbsup: