PDA

View Full Version : Information Commissioners Office

sarah707
01-07-2010, 07:00 AM
East Cheshire have sent out a letter to all childminders.

It says that if you use a computer to keep records OR if you take digital photos of children in your care then you have to register with ICO.

I asked again about what if you take photos, print and then delete and the answer is ...

You must register because you have taken the photo on digital media, whether you delete immediately or not.

This is the ICO website - www.ico.gov.uk and the rules about digital media are apparently clarified on there.

You can contact ICO to talk to someone here - 01625 545740 - Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm.

It costs £35 and is renewable every year.

You can register on the internet using the 'N894 Nursery' form...

or request a notification form from the website and post it back with the fee...

or ring 01625 545740 and ask for a notification form which you again post back with the fee.

Hth :D

miffy
01-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Thank you for that Sarah - I'll have a look at the site later

I didn't think we had to register as long as no information/photos were stored on the computer - might have to email NCMA and get them to clarify :D

The registration fee is more than the Ofsted fee each year! :(

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
01-07-2010, 07:12 AM
I think I will print them from the camera from now on and safe the money

sarah707
01-07-2010, 07:26 AM
I think I will print them from the camera from now on and safe the money

That's what I asked them to clarify and the answer is no.

It's not about printing from camera or phone.

If you take the photo on digital media in the first place then you must register. :D

estrelas
01-07-2010, 07:28 AM
That's what I asked them to clarify and the answer is no.

It's not about printing from camera or phone.

If you take the photo on digital media in the first place then you must register. :D

Thats what I got told when I called them, even just using a camera you need to register

suzyblue
01-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks Sarah - Ive have just registered :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
01-07-2010, 07:49 AM
We have been told this in East Sussex - still find it daft :rolleyes:

christine e
01-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Thank you for that Sarah - I'll have a look at the site later

I didn't think we had to register as long as no information/photos were stored on the computer - might have to email NCMA and get them to clarify :D

The registration fee is more than the Ofsted fee each year! :(

Miffy xx

Hi Miffy

That is why East Midlands region of NCMA put forward a resolution at the annual conference for the association to try and negotiate a reduced fee for childminders. The resolution was passed so NCMA should be looking into this for us. Will try and find out more

Cx

sarah707
01-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Hi Miffy

That is why East Midlands region of NCMA put forward a resolution at the annual conference for the association to try and negotiate a reduced fee for childminders. The resolution was passed so NCMA should be looking into this for us. Will try and find out more

Cx

Oh yes I'd forgotten all about that!!

Any feedback would be great thanks Christine :D

snufflepuff
01-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Right, so the only way of taking the photographs we must have as evidence is to use a disposable camera or old style camera with a film, them take it to a shop to be processes?
Easier to pay the fee i think, i'd waste that much money in a year paying for photos that haven't come out right or didn't catch what i wanted, so just go in the bin.....much easier with a digital camera!

Cammie Doodle
01-07-2010, 09:01 AM
East Cheshire have sent out a letter to all childminders.

It says that if you use a computer to keep records OR if you take digital photos of children in your care then you have to register with ICO.

I asked again about what if you take photos, print and then delete and the answer is ...

You must register because you have taken the photo on digital media, whether you delete immediately or not.

This is the ICO website - www.ico.gov.uk and the rules about digital media are apparently clarified on there.

You can contact ICO to talk to someone here - 01625 545740 - Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm.

It costs £35 and is renewable every year.

You can register on the internet using the 'N894 Nursery' form...

or request a notification form from the website and post it back with the fee...

or ring 01625 545740 and ask for a notification form which you again post back with the fee.

Hth :D

That's exactly what we were told,but we held off until we heard what the Guru's of the Forum advised. So I guess we better pay up :(

blue bear
04-07-2010, 08:24 AM
I am looking at this for the NVQ4, the aassessor told me I do not need to register as education provision is exempt, as I recieve NEG funding I too am exempt, this seems to be what is says on the web site too.

miffy
04-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi Miffy

Cx

Thanks Christine :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Blue Boy
04-07-2010, 12:30 PM
We were asked at our recent inspection if we had registered, as it happened we had and could produce the registration certificate.

snufflepuff
04-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Im just going through my application online now and i am so confused! Theres loads of different categories and you have to tailor your application......all i want to do is store photographs on my computor, thats it!

Donkey
04-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I am looking at this for the NVQ4, the aassessor told me I do not need to register as education provision is exempt, as I recieve NEG funding I too am exempt, this seems to be what is says on the web site too.

Is this correct???

The Juggler
05-07-2010, 06:25 AM
I'm not sure. I registered to be on the safe side.:(

christine e
05-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Oh yes I'd forgotten all about that!!

Any feedback would be great thanks Christine :D

Hi

Seems the change of government has delayed things. Person at NCMA who deals with this on holiday but will keep chasing and update you further as soon as I know anything.

Cx

PixiePetal
05-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Hi

Seems the change of government has delayed things. Person at NCMA who deals with this on holiday but will keep chasing and update you further as soon as I know anything.

Cx

Thanks christine e

I registered as due inspection and East Sussex made it clear we should do it - clear as mud :rolleyes:

Tigertots
17-01-2011, 11:01 PM
I have been on the web site for ICO and can't find where you find the form. Can anyone tell me what to click on
thanks

jacey
17-01-2011, 11:38 PM
When I registered, I phoned them up and they sent me form no. N943 Childminder Template and handbook ( saves you printing out all the paperwork).
I was asked to review draft, read and complete additional information and then to sign and return with payment which I eventually did and am now the proud owner of a piece of paper confirming my entry in the register.

sarah707
18-01-2011, 07:50 AM
I have been on the web site for ICO and can't find where you find the form. Can anyone tell me what to click on
thanks

I'd give them a ring and ask! It's much easier than trying to navigate that website :D

Daftbat
18-01-2011, 07:50 AM
I have already registered but I can't help but think that the world has gone completely mad.

You have to register if you take digital photos - even if you delete them after printing but you don't need to if you use an analog or disposable camera - havene't you taken the picture just the same?

Its just another money grabbing scheme to boost the coffers of the government. :angry:

Stormy
18-01-2011, 09:33 AM
We received an early years publication from the council before Christmas which gave a brief summary of the ICO, the guide lines from the council were very unclear. I called the ICO and as Sarah said even using a digital camera means you need to register. I let my council know and I also called the NCMA and asked them to clarify this in the next edition of Who Minds. I have tried to pass the message to other local childminders but they still seem to think its an option not a necessity.

Tigertots
18-01-2011, 05:11 PM
OK Thanks I will ring in the morning

Happy Gardener
18-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks Sarah, I have meant to do it for a while, but hadn't looked up their number. Phoned & form on the way to me. :)

Chimps Childminding
18-01-2011, 08:40 PM
I have already registered but I can't help but think that the world has gone completely mad.

You have to register if you take digital photos - even if you delete them after printing but you don't need to if you use an analog or disposable camera - havene't you taken the picture just the same?

Its just another money grabbing scheme to boost the coffers of the government. :angry:

makes no sense to me either :rolleyes: I would have thought there would be more risk sending them off to one of the printing companies when you have no idea who could get their hands on them :angry:

nokidshere
18-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Another nonsensical ruling :(

If you take a picture and immediately delete it from your camera then you dont have any data to protect since you have already got rid of it?

Makes absolutely no sense at all.

Tigertots
19-01-2011, 02:11 PM
easy peasy rang and they will send paperwork just need to fill it in and send back with payment
Thanks