PDA

View Full Version : help with parent visit please x

mama2three
01-07-2010, 06:46 AM
I have a pregnant mum visiting in the morning , looking for care from january for her son who will be 6-7 months.
My 'setting' isnt currently set up for babies , but of course can and would be , but how can i sell myself at the visit tomorrow?
Not sure Im even making sense , but with every other mindee I have had things around to suit their ages/stages etc..but i cant really do a babyzone for her when i currently have no babies , or can I?
What kind of things will she want to hear ...blimey you wouldnt think i too was a new mum once would you? I presume she will be considering nurseries and other minders as well and would love to come across well....Ofsted obviously saw that I could care well for under ones as they reg me for 2 ( still not sure why ).
I havent felt this much out of my depth before..I usually focus on the child at visits and mum can see how they react to me etc , whilst answering questions...this time the baby is still a bump!!

And finally , any particular selling points a teacher would benefit from? Term time only , but Im not sure i can afford this....anything else?

Thanks everyone :o

miffy
01-07-2010, 06:59 AM
I don't think it matters that you're not "set up" for babies atm, I'm sure parents will go for the atmosphere, how the mindees relate to you and each other as well as whether they gel with you.

Have you got any photos of your baby toys/equipment - parents often ask about sleeping arrangements and buggies too so be prepared to show them these things.

Ask permission from another parent to show her one of the children's learning journeys - parents love these and it's great proof of the things you do.

As far as retainers go, I charge a nominal amount during holidays but it depends what you can afford to do.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll be fine

Miffy xx

The Juggler
01-07-2010, 08:24 AM
I would perhaps get out a selection of toys to show her how you would set things up and talk about the things you would provide to stimualte her sitter, crawler etc. Maybe talk about how you would ensure baby and toddlers are all catered for.

I think she'll likely want to talk more about routines and where baby will sleep, eat etc.:) hope it goes well.

MissTinkerbell
01-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I charge my teachers half fees for the holidays, so that I don't lose out. I sold it by saying that I'm sure there will be times during the holidays that you will want some time for planning and preparation and to go into school to prep for the next term (I knew all this being an ex-teacher myself) and by paying half fees it ensures that the space is there during the holidays and you can use it when you want provided I have 2 wks notice.

I also take 4 of my 5 weeks holiday during the school holidays so it reduces the amount of half fee weeks they pay for.

All of my teacher parents have been perfectly happy with this and after all they get paid through their holidays. Although I did say that if I was able to fill the space with a holiday only mindee they wouldn't have to pay.

Blue Boy
02-07-2010, 07:33 PM
How did it go?

mama2three
12-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Thanks everyone , your advice did the trick ..she has just emailed to say ...after careful consideration we would like to place W in your care from January , shall we get together to make arrangements?:clapping: :jump for joy:

Its nearly 2 weeks since the visit so i didnt think it had gone well. :rolleyes:

Just need to do a professional sounding response! :laughing:

charleyfarley
12-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Well done to you :clapping: :clapping: That's great news :thumbsup:

Carol xx

miffy
12-07-2010, 04:54 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Fantastic news!!!!!

Miffy xx