PDA

View Full Version : bum-shuffling

Polly2
30-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi everyone

I have a mindee who is 14mths. She is very good at bum shuffling but will not pull herself up or cruise the furnture. She is on the heavy side :rolleyes:

I am not concerned at all however dad is (why is it always the dads who fuss?!)

I have had a little search on the net to try and find something to reassure him that she is fine - obviously I said to check with HV if they are concerned. All the books say most children walk before 18mths so he is panicking :rolleyes:

I was wondering if any of you had any info or could point me in right direction?

miffy
30-06-2010, 09:43 PM
No, but I'm glad you've asked the question.

Is your mindee weight-bearing?

Miffy xx

Polly2
30-06-2010, 09:46 PM
If I prop her against the sofa, she will stand but I have to position her legs/feet!

I have been popping her fav toys on the sofa to try and hold her attention while she strengthens her leg muscles.

She will only manage a couple of minutes though.

amanda1309
30-06-2010, 09:59 PM
my dd (now8yrs) bum shuffled then got up and walked, she never did anything in between. I know this isn't much help, but it did her no harm and it was just her way of getting about.

tulip0803
01-07-2010, 12:10 AM
I have cared for 4 bum shufflers in the last few years (all girls). Two were sisters & both parents bum shuffled too:D . Two of them were slightly later walking but both were steady and running by 2 years, the other two walked about 18 months. Bum shufflers do seem to be a bit slower starting to walk & stand but do get there in the end.

You gave the right advise about seeing HV. One needed specialy designed boots to help support her ankles when she started walking but only for the first few months. she had to go to the physio at the hosp to have them made for her.

Shirlwith3
01-07-2010, 05:47 AM
I was a bum shuffler when I was a baby I have been told many times by my mum that I didn't walk till I was 2yrs old. My own daughter bum shuffled for a while then crawled but she didn't walk till she was 19months as she had weak muscle tone in her leags and ankles so needed special boots from hospital to help strenthen her ankles.
You have done the right thing in say if dad is concerned then to see HV, my HV noticed Isla had problems at 8 months. All children develope at different rates, one thing I do know is if a child bum shuffles then they are more than likely to take longer to walk.

Polly2
01-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Thats interesting - I had read it was hereditary and both her parents bum shuffled and were late walkers apparantly.

I won't tell him about the boots though he will freak out :) very protective dad!! But both parents really lovely :)

miffy
01-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Very interesting - just wondering if there's any link between bum shuffling and weight. Those babies that needed the ankle boots were they big babies for their age?

Miffy xx

Mollymop
01-07-2010, 07:24 AM
I bum shuffled and so did my daughter but we both walked by around 15 months, so not too late. I don't remeber my dd pulling herself up on furniture but she was good at walking with one of those push along toys, she got lots of practise using those at around 14 months and walked on her own at 15 mths

I have pics of my dd at 13 months in florida sitting int he hotel floor and she never pulled herself up then.

Tell dad to stop worrying, give it a few more moths and you won't look back, it all comes all of a sudden - one day she won't the next day she will ifyswim x

The Juggler
01-07-2010, 08:22 AM
I've never had one but it seems from the experience above it would be good advice for them to have little one checked out by HV and perhaps referred to rule out any problems. This would keep dad happy too.

Shirlwith3
01-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Isla was a small baby weighing 5lb 6oz & was 2 weeks early, I was also a small baby I weighed 6lb 12oz. my middle child didn't walk till she was 14months too

snufflepuff
01-07-2010, 09:21 AM
One of my mindees is a bum shuffler- she then surprised everyone and crawled at about 14/15 months. She is 17 months now and not walking- she pulls herself up and furniture, will walk with push-along walker, and walks holding hands- but she is very wobbly and i think it will be at least a couple more months before she walks alone. She has been a little late with all her physical milestones but there seems to be no reason to think she won't get there in the end.
Also, she is not a big baby, she is quite petite.

Helen Dempster
01-07-2010, 01:10 PM
my dd (now8yrs) bum shuffled then got up and walked, she never did anything in between. I know this isn't much help, but it did her no harm and it was just her way of getting about.

My son was exactly the same - bum shuffled, then walked. No crawling or anything in between. He looked so funny when all his other little baby friends were crawling...but guess what? He was FASTER than all of them put together! LOL

WibbleWobble
01-07-2010, 01:35 PM
my little brother (born 1972) was a crazy kid. He didnt speak or move....for ages. He was a fat little so and so....mum said he looked like "Lambuger Gesler"....you need to be old to know that one. I remember he was enormous! He went to physios and speech therapists and nothing was wrong with his legs but it was thought he was deaf.

so we started lessons for sign language.....he refused to sign

So...chris gets to 2 years old...its generally thought he has learning difficulties

One day whilst mum was signing stuff at him he stood up, walked off and shouted over his shoulder...."thats it, ive had enough!"

he waited until he had something useful to say!!!

chris is Dr Chris now and worth a million due to his company!!!!

so...all are not the same.!

mandy xxxxxxx

Polly2
01-07-2010, 02:23 PM
What a fantastic story :clapping: you are right, we are all different

tulip0803
01-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Very interesting - just wondering if there's any link between bum shuffling and weight. Those babies that needed the ankle boots were they big babies for their age?

Miffy xx

No she was probably a bit below average for weight & height, but normal IYSWIM.

Trouble
01-07-2010, 05:13 PM

my son did the same and he never rolled over either:D

i wouldnt be worried :panic: