PDA

View Full Version : Looking after great-niece - what do I need in place?

catswhiskers
30-06-2010, 09:11 PM
I will soon be looking after my niece's daughter (10 months old) for two days per week. My niece is my sister's daughter and we are all really close so if any probs arose I feel we could work it out.

My question is do I need to do a contract with my niece? Would this just be a waste of another form in a way?

I have given her policies to sign and I will be starting an EYFS folder for her but just wanted some advice.

Basically, could I look after my niece's daughter without having to do all the paperwork side of things?

jelly15
30-06-2010, 09:21 PM
I look after my great nephew and I do everything the same for him as the other mindees (including fees).

Daftbat
01-07-2010, 06:57 AM
It doesn't make any difference that she is your great niece - you need to do things the same for all the children you care for.

catswhiskers
01-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your replies - I will be doing all the EYFS stuff the same as my other mindees but just wondered about the contract bit I suppose.

Also, I am only charging my niece £25 per 10 hour day (my usual rate has just gone up to £45) as she doesn't qualify for any childcare costs.

Daftbat
01-07-2010, 09:24 PM
I would definitely do a contract just the same - all seems well now but you never know!