PDA

View Full Version : can i give mindees a shower

nelly
30-06-2010, 06:48 AM
just a quicky one, wonderd if were allowed to give a quick shower to mindees if they get really muddy in garden .

thanks nelly xxx :confused:

sandy64
30-06-2010, 07:10 AM
there is nothink to say you cant but you need to make sure you have written policy and permission forms i would stand in a bowl of water and rinse legs ect instead if pos make sure you totally cover yourself.:)

dawn37
30-06-2010, 07:14 AM
Don't know if this helps but I've had children recently through our CCF network & 1 of them was in very definite need of a wash :( I was sneaky & washed their hair in the paddling pool, the network co-ordinator said that social workers don't like it even if the parents are ok & it opens up a huge can of worms, however if they are private contracts I would just get parents to sign something beforehand saying if the children end up muddy, they are happy for them to have a shower, but I think in this day & age you have to be so careful, you never know what children are going to say, I had a little boy this week that I took to the beach with his brother & we went rockpooling, played football, went to the park etc & he said he was going to tell his mum we didn't do anything & I sat on my bum all day:eek: ...as if!!!

francinejayne
30-06-2010, 12:18 PM
I had a little boy this week that I took to the beach with his brother & we went rockpooling, played football, went to the park etc & he said he was going to tell his mum we didn't do anything & I sat on my bum all day:eek: ...as if!!!

What a cheeky monkey!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

rickysmiths
30-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Don't know if this helps but I've had children recently through our CCF network & 1 of them was in very definite need of a wash :( I was sneaky & washed their hair in the paddling pool, the network co-ordinator said that social workers don't like it even if the parents are ok & it opens up a huge can of worms, however if they are private contracts I would just get parents to sign something beforehand saying if the children end up muddy, they are happy for them to have a shower, but I think in this day & age you have to be so careful, you never know what children are going to say, I had a little boy this week that I took to the beach with his brother & we went rockpooling, played football, went to the park etc & he said he was going to tell his mum we didn't do anything & I sat on my bum all day:eek: ...as if!!!

Thats all very well but we have to change nappies and it doesn't get more intimate than that does it? Also this week I have had a 4.5yr a 3.5yr and an 18mth old who have been in and out of the paddling pool and using the water table so I have had to strip them off to put swimming stuff on and then again to get them dry and dressed.

I always explain to parents that I will use common sense with regard showering/bathing because if a young child does a horrible poo it is sometimes quicker to wash them and I have had a couple of little ones over the years that have fallen in mud and bee filthy from top to bottom :panic:

As for children telling their parents things other than they have done, that is so common, my own son, when asked what he had done at school all day (he was 5-8ish) would say nothing or stuff and we would get no specific info. My mindees will often imply they have done nothing as they go through different stages and they may even have something they have done or made in their hand as they say it. :laughing:

The Juggler
30-06-2010, 01:17 PM
I agree nothing is more intimate than nappy changing really is it?:panic: However, I usually in this weather hose off their hands and feet outside. Most of my mums are fab and don't mind mucky children coming home:)

Dare4Distance
30-06-2010, 01:32 PM
I'd make sure you get clear permission from parents but then I'd also probably shower them in swimwear too, just to be safe.

onceinabluemoon
30-06-2010, 02:52 PM
I used to mind a LO who went home at 9pm, I had signed permission to bathe her and used to leave the bathroom door open whilst we were in there.

I'd just have a chat with parents and get them to sign something to say yes or no.