PDA

View Full Version : decided to have a little splurge/multicultural........

jumpinjen
29-06-2010, 08:05 PM
and whilst looking around I found this multicultural starter kit on e-bay.... it looks a nice kit I think!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Multicultural-Resources-Starter-Kit-/310201003682?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Toys_Creative_Educational_RL&hash=item48396baea2

Not getting it as after those block people, but anyway!!

jenni x

mamasheshe
29-06-2010, 08:09 PM
i don't understand about the block people?:blush:

jumpinjen
29-06-2010, 08:18 PM
These:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Multicultural-Block-Play-Asian-Family-Set-/300429818176?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Doll_Bears_Dolls_EH&hash=item45f3033940

jenni x :D

mamasheshe
29-06-2010, 08:20 PM
ahhhhhhh i see :laughing:
i really really really want a dolls wheelchair

TheBTeam
29-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Yes I have the block people, the special needs set. Lot of money but quite nice.

Mouse
29-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I've got the special needs block people, but they're not very nice. The faces all look a bit odd, as if the toys aren't very well made.

jumpinjen
29-06-2010, 08:41 PM
I've got the special needs block people, but they're not very nice. The faces all look a bit odd, as if the toys aren't very well made.

That's disappointing.... the ones at the children's centre are so battered you can barely see their faces anymore to know!!

I've looked at them in several different places and they seem to have changed the set.... the ones on ebay have a boy playing basketball in the wheelchair which i think is lovely but the newer (?) sets have a girls in a wheelchair with electric controls.

I thought about them as my mindees were playing that they had had operations on their eyes and had to wear dark glasses and use sticks today..... i thought they might extend the play a bit more for them, open up some more questions!

Jenni x

miss mopple
29-06-2010, 08:53 PM
I have the block people and the girl in the wheelchair is one of the most played with toys here :thumbsup:

jumpinjen
29-06-2010, 08:56 PM
I am thinking that they would be popular.... what else is in the set... do they love them all?

And how are they displayed, do you mix them in with others toys or are they in their own basket??

i was thinking I would get a couple of sets and put them all together!

What do you think?

jenni:)

The Juggler
29-06-2010, 08:57 PM
These:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Multicultural-Block-Play-Asian-Family-Set-/300429818176?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Doll_Bears_Dolls_EH&hash=item45f3033940

jenni x :D

they don't LOOK very asian:panic:

Mouse
29-06-2010, 09:00 PM
That's disappointing.... the ones at the children's centre are so battered you can barely see their faces anymore to know!!

I've looked at them in several different places and they seem to have changed the set.... the ones on ebay have a boy playing basketball in the wheelchair which i think is lovely but the newer (?) sets have a girls in a wheelchair with electric controls.

I thought about them as my mindees were playing that they had had operations on their eyes and had to wear dark glasses and use sticks today..... i thought they might extend the play a bit more for them, open up some more questions!

Jenni x

Mine might be a bit older, so hopefully the new ones are better!

I have to say though, the mindees always hunt through the toybox to find the man in the wheelchair as they all love that one!

miss mopple
29-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I have 2 sets, the disability set and the black people set, and they are played with alot. I just leave them in my 'people' box and the kids usually pick them out to play with. A really good investment IMO :thumbsup:

Mouse
29-06-2010, 09:02 PM
I am thinking that they would be popular.... what else is in the set... do they love them all?

And how are they displayed, do you mix them in with others toys or are they in their own basket??

i was thinking I would get a couple of sets and put them all together!

What do you think?

jenni:)

All my multicultural/diversity toys are just mixed in with the other toys. I don't like the idea of keeping them separate. The idea is to promote inclusion, so they should be mixed in with everything else :thumbsup:

jumpinjen
29-06-2010, 09:08 PM
All my multicultural/diversity toys are just mixed in with the other toys. I don't like the idea of keeping them separate. The idea is to promote inclusion, so they should be mixed in with everything else :thumbsup:

I kind of didn't mean it how it sounded, I was thinking about my toys.... I have all the small world things in baskets, like wooden dolls in one, wow vehicles and people in another, duplo and people in another and was thinking what i would put the plastic dolls with.... doll house or blocks, or in their own basket alongside all my other small world toys.... I didn't mean that they should be segregated as they have disabilities!!!!!:eek:

jen

jumpinjen
29-06-2010, 09:10 PM
they don't LOOK very asian:panic:

Asia's a big continent.... they look more Korean than Bangladeshi or Indian but still Asia!!

Jen x

TheBTeam
29-06-2010, 09:12 PM
I keep my special needs block people in with my fisher price loving family dolls house stuff, the people are the nearest match in size of anything I have so they just get played with alongside the rest, although a favourite game does seem to be pushing the boy in the wheelchair off of the roof!

I have tried to explain that it was a game like this that got him in that situation, (:eek: only joking, hope not offended anyone!).

miss mopple
29-06-2010, 09:14 PM
I kind of didn't mean it how it sounded, I was thinking about my toys.... I have all the small world things in baskets, like wooden dolls in one, wow vehicles and people in another, duplo and people in another and was thinking what i would put the plastic dolls with.... doll house or blocks, or in their own basket alongside all my other small world toys.... I didn't mean that they should be segregated as they have disabilities!!!!!:eek:

jen

in my people box I have allsorts from Dora characters to tweenies,block people, dolls house figures, red indians and even R2d2 :laughing:

jumpinjen
29-06-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm a bit more OCD than that.... I like to have them more sorted out..... R2D2.... are they old enough to know who/what he is???? My friend has a big box like that with buzz lightyear and all sorts in!

jen x

Mouse
29-06-2010, 09:21 PM

jen

I didn't think you meant that, though I have talked to many people who do think they should have a box of diversity toys that should be brought out as an activity!

miss mopple
29-06-2010, 09:22 PM
they havent got a clue but they love him anyway :)

You'd never survive a trip to my playroom then, I gave up on OCD years ago :laughing:

jumpinjen
29-06-2010, 09:25 PM
I didn't think you meant that, though I have talked to many people who do think they should have a box of diversity toys that should be brought out as an activity!

Really? That has suprised me! I'd break up all my toys and baskets and resources if I separated out all the 'multicultural' aspects of them.... plus they wouldn't fit in one box!!!!

having said that.... our local toy library has an 'ofsted' box with a dolls wheelchair, guide dog with harness, dolls crutches and glasses, plus multicultural jigsaws, books, playfood and posters, and a black doll..... just to tide people through their inspection if they know it is due.... it has a two week lending limit on it as it is so popular!

jen

jumpinjen
29-06-2010, 09:27 PM
You'd never survive a trip to my playroom then, I gave up on OCD years ago :laughing:

Ah well you see I'm a relative newbie.... not even past the two years mark yet so still clinging on the OCD.... by my fingernails!!!

Mouse
29-06-2010, 09:32 PM
having said that.... our local toy library has an 'ofsted' box with a dolls wheelchair, guide dog with harness, dolls crutches and glasses, plus multicultural jigsaws, books, playfood and posters, and a black doll..... just to tide people through their inspection if they know it is due.... it has a two week lending limit on it as it is so popular!

jen

lol! I'm have a friend who used to be an inspector for social services (in the days before Ofsted). She said it always made her laugh when she went round to inspect childminders & recognised the same multicultural toys that were passed round from minder to minder when their inspections were due :rolleyes:

Mouse
29-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Ah well you see I'm a relative newbie.... not even past the two years mark yet so still clinging on the OCD.... by my fingernails!!!

I wouldn't consider myself particularly OCD, but even the littlest mindees know that everything has it's place & we have to put the right toys in the right boxes :blush:

jumpinjen
29-06-2010, 09:34 PM
lol! I'm have a friend who used to be an inspector for social services (in the days before Ofsted). She said it always made her laugh when she went round to inspect childminders & recognised the same multicultural toys that were passed round from minder to minder when their inspections were due :rolleyes:

I always wondered if it was obvious that the toys were not normally there when the inspector came! It must be if your friend said that! Did she mark down because of it? Or mention it?

jen x

jumpinjen
29-06-2010, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't consider myself particularly OCD, but even the littlest mindees know that everything has it's place & we have to put the right toys in the right boxes :blush:

very good point.... I can ask my 21 month old to put something away and she knows where it lives and can put it back tidily! I find it pleasant to work in a very ordered space.... perhaps it is the Montessori in me rather than OCD! :laughing:

Mouse
29-06-2010, 09:37 PM
I always wondered if it was obvious that the toys were not normally there when the inspector came! It must be if your friend said that! Did she mark down because of it? Or mention it?

jen x

In those days we weren't graded, so it didn't really make much of a difference. I don't know if she ever mentioned it to people. I'll have to ask her!

jumpinjen
29-06-2010, 09:43 PM
In those days we weren't graded, so it didn't really make much of a difference. I don't know if she ever mentioned it to people. I'll have to ask her!

I'd love to have seen them trying to explain it away!! My mum's friend used to childmind 30 years ago and told me that someone used to 'come and look at your toilet then say yeah fine, you can mind' !!!

She's verry supportive to me as she's a nursery teacher and gives me all sorts of lovely resources now she's retiring!!

sadly no block play people so far!!

I'm also drooling over schleich animals!

jen x

The Juggler
30-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Asia's a big continent.... they look more Korean than Bangladeshi or Indian but still Asia!!

Jen x

I thought they looked more European:blush:

jumpinjen
30-06-2010, 06:28 AM
I thought they looked more European:blush:

Oh dear, well I looked at the hispanic ones too and they all had really odd egg shaped heads so i wouldn't get those.... I doubt that hispanic people actually do have egg sahped heads!!

jenni:laughing:

The Juggler
30-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Oh dear, well I looked at the hispanic ones too and they all had really odd egg shaped heads so i wouldn't get those.... I doubt that hispanic people actually do have egg sahped heads!!

jenni:laughing:

egg shaped, maybe they were hispanic aliens:laughing: :laughing:

Beetlejuice
30-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Now I'm going to be a bit different and say that as resources are expensive my friends and I do share ours about so our local inspectors may see the same resources in and out of every minders house. IMHO I think it's being resourceful and making the most of the CM association in the area without spending the earth. We do it more to help each other with costs rather than 'ticking a box' for Ofsted. :cool:

jumpinjen
30-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Now I'm going to be a bit different and say that as resources are expensive my friends and I do share ours about so our local inspectors may see the same resources in and out of every minders house. IMHO I think it's being resourceful and making the most of the CM association in the area without spending the earth. We do it more to help each other with costs rather than 'ticking a box' for Ofsted. :cool:

That's a little bit different than borrowing a box of things and saying that you have them all the time when ofsted come. i like to buy things a bit at a time and have them permanently so the children know that they are there when they want them rather than having to ask and wait to get them from someone else but i can see why you share.... do you share other resources or just the multicultural ones??

jen x

Beetlejuice
30-06-2010, 03:52 PM
have them permanently so the children know that they are there when they want them rather than having to ask and wait to get them from someone else but i can see why you share.... do you share other resources or just the multicultural ones??

jen x

We share everything. I do have some toys that are here permanently but you know what it's like - they get bored easily so we often send things to other minders for a little break and have them back at a later time then the children treat them like new toys and they find their enthusiasim for stuff again. We also share stuff like highchairs/boosters/buggies etc as they are so pricey. I am lucky though in that we all share equally and there is a lot of give and take rather than the same people borrowing all the time without lending iyswim.

jumpinjen
30-06-2010, 05:36 PM
We share everything. I do have some toys that are here permanently but you know what it's like - they get bored easily so we often send things to other minders for a little break and have them back at a later time then the children treat them like new toys and they find their enthusiasim for stuff again. We also share stuff like highchairs/boosters/buggies etc as they are so pricey. I am lucky though in that we all share equally and there is a lot of give and take rather than the same people borrowing all the time without lending iyswim.

Sounds like a great set-up..... lucky you!!

Jen:)