PDA

View Full Version : Epipen Training and paperwork

janey81
29-06-2010, 06:45 PM
One of the children in my care had a allergic reaction to a nut on friday (with parents not with me)

I have been trying to get on to a training session but am still waiting to here back from the Allergy Clinic but may pop to the doctors tomorrow to see if I can see a nurse.

I have had training from the mum and my neighbour who is a Pharmacy Technician so is qualified to teach and I have the dvd to watch tonight I have filled the Section 1 from NCMA medication book, which gives permission to administer medicine or treatment and will do an emergency medicine form as well.

Will the child be able to come to me tomorrow as mum was hoping for me to have her after school but wasn't sure whether I would be covered.

Jane

sarah707
29-06-2010, 07:13 PM
I would speak to Ofsted and your insurance company in the morning to check if they are happy that the training you have received is valid.

Hth :D

Stillgoingstrong
29-06-2010, 07:24 PM
You should have been trained to use an epipen on your first aid course. huh: Am I simplyfying your issue ?:eek:

mamasheshe
29-06-2010, 07:30 PM
You should have been trained to use an epipen on your first aid course. huh: Am I simplyfying your issue ?:eek:

i wasn't trained to administer epipen on my first aid course .

sarah707
29-06-2010, 07:30 PM

The statutory requirements state that we must be trained for each child.

So you take on Jack and he has an epipen and you get training.

you then take on Jill... she also has an epipen... you need to get another lot of training.

You should also ask for written proof that you've been trained each time you have training.

Hth :D

tulip0803
29-06-2010, 07:56 PM
I spoke to the surgery when I had a child with an epi-pen & the GP did the training & signed the form.

As Sarah said you need to check with your insurer etc to make sure they are happy with who has done it.

TheBTeam
29-06-2010, 08:31 PM
I would not be prepared to administer an epipen unless I had received training from someone who knew the child, as it specifically states that the training must be child specific and therefore I would read this to mean by someone who knew the child. You need to get the training signed off and I would ensure that it mentions the childs name.

Stillgoingstrong
29-06-2010, 09:04 PM
i wasn't trained to administer epipen on my first aid course .

Oh thats really bad!!! Thats supposed to be one of the things covered. Not hard though so dw - even I can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!:jump for joy:
Have just read what others are saying about training being child specific - not when I took my last course which was only in March. I haven't got a mindee that needs one but I will check to cover myself just in case or I would just be stabbing away lol!!! Naughty of my first aid trainer for not saying this if it IS individual.:(

TheBTeam
29-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Ours mentioned epipens, but said that in view of the fact that training must be administered on a child by child basis it was worth no more than a passing mention of what to do with it, as the course alone no matter how in depth did not give us cover with our insurance to use the epipen.

babs
29-06-2010, 09:14 PM
on my first aid course we talked about epipens, but didnt do any training on them, as was told like some others, you have to be trained for each child that requires one..

Stillgoingstrong
29-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Ours mentioned epipens, but said that in view of the fact that training must be administered on a child by child basis it was worth no more than a passing mention of what to do with it, as the course alone no matter how in depth did not give us cover with our insurance to use the epipen.

Oh we spent ages on them!! Passed them round, practiced, discussed the 2 sorts available, what to do, how quickly to administer etc etc. HMMMMM:huh:

janey81
30-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Epipen was mentioned at our training but we were not shown how to use them.

I did a training course last week about medicines, and they said it had to be separate training individual to the child, but didn't specify whether parent and/or nurse/doctor would be covered to do this

Allergy clinic are calling me today so will get it sorted.

Jane

sarah707
30-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Can I just clarify something here please to resolve some members' concerns.

Training for using medical equipment like Epipens is nothing whatsoever to do with your first aid course... whatever the first aid course trainer says or whatever you did or did not do on your course.

It is a statutory requirement of the EYFS - and therefore the law.

The statutory wording is as follows...

If the administration of prescription medicines requires technical/medical knowledge then individual training should be provided for staff from a qualified health professional. Training should be specific to the individual child concerned.

As previously stated you should also get evidence from the qualified health professional that you have been trained.

I hope this clears any confusion :D

rickysmiths
30-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Oh thats really bad!!! Thats supposed to be one of the things covered. Not hard though so dw - even I can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!:jump for joy:
Have just read what others are saying about training being child specific - not when I took my last course which was only in March. I haven't got a mindee that needs one but I will check to cover myself just in case or I would just be stabbing away lol!!! Naughty of my first aid trainer for not saying this if it IS individual.:(

Don't worry you are not the only one, my husband did his First Aid in May and was told the same as you.

I have been shown how to use one but none the less have always understood that there should be child specific training as Sarah has said.

Stillgoingstrong
30-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for that was beginning to feel like I'd done something wrong and was being told off!!! :eek:
This is in response to the comment above!!!:panic:

francinejayne
30-06-2010, 07:50 PM
going off on a slight tangent (apologies), do we need training to administer asthma inhalers? I have a baby in my care who needs it, and mum has shown me - is that sufficient?

I felt that it was, especially as I have an inhaler, but now I'm thinking should I have been trained by a medical professional?

TheBTeam
30-06-2010, 07:56 PM
going off on a slight tangent (apologies), do we need training to administer asthma inhalers? I have a baby in my care who needs it, and mum has shown me - is that sufficient?

I felt that it was, especially as I have an inhaler, but now I'm thinking should I have been trained by a medical professional?

I would be asking for medical training purely so that you can be sure of how long etc to hold to face and stuff. What to do if a puff of stuff escapes any spacer etc.