PDA

View Full Version : Food hygiene certificate

ESmith03
28-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Hi

Not sure where to ask this?

But I'm waiting for the go ahead to start childmindering and was wondering when I need to contact the the local health department to register as I'm looking at providing food.

:)

Emz
28-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Do we have to register with the local health department? I will watch this thread with interest. Sorry i cant be of any help.

SaijaM
28-06-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm in a process of registering too, but I was told that you get this once registered, from your local authority.. but not sure!! I will keep an eye on this too..

xx Saija

Mrs Pootle
28-06-2010, 03:01 PM
I was advised I needed to register with my local environmental health, but they rarely come out and inspect. I think it may be different in each area. I would suggest you speak to your Early Years Team or whoever is running your courses.

ESmith03
28-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanx for replies.

We had a print out with contact numbers in our homebased childcarer folder but was not told when to contact them and I believe we do need it if we are providing food???

Will do what you advise scallywag and contact my early years advisor thank you :)

pinkbutterfly
28-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I have registered with mine. I called my Environmental Health and they sent me a form to fill in. I returned it. They asked me to order free FSA safer food better business for childminders pack. It arrived this morning. I had a look through it I'm supposed to fill it in and give them a ring so they can arrange a visit. I need to buy a fridge thermometer.

Mookins
28-06-2010, 08:37 PM
you should have received a form in with all your gumf to send to your local E.H to notify them that you will be a food supplier...even if you dont do meals you still have to....no later than 28 days before you start your business

if you didnt get aform contact your local EH and get your details filled out

sending mine off tomorrow:)
and will remove all crumbs tomorrow afternoon...AGAIN lol

x xx x

ESmith03
29-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Thank you for your advice pinkbutterfly and Mookins.

All I had in my pack was a list of contact numbers no forms. Will give them a call today.

I've not heard of the free FSA safer food better business for childminders pack, will ask them about that to thank you.:)

They do mention about doing a course but I can't do that till I'm registered:(

ESmith03
29-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Have contacted the environmental health department and have downloaded the form that I need to fill in and post to them and then they come out to inspect the food prep area.

She also mentioned the pack for childminders which she will bring with her when she visits.

Thank you all again for your advice/help :)

shellib
29-06-2010, 10:47 AM
I was told I needed to register and I only provide snacks and drinks at the moment...

pinkbutterfly
29-06-2010, 12:28 PM
This course thing is not obligatory. You can do it and they'd like you to but they can't make you. I ordered the FSA safer food better business for childminders pack here:
0845 606 0667 or by emailing foodstandards@ecgroup.co.uk
It arrived within a few days.
It says you have to register if you:
-provide meals,snacks and drinks (apart from mains tap water)
and/or
-reheat food provided by a parent/carer, or cut it up.

You don't have to register if you:
-keep packed lunches in your fridge that are brought by parents
and/or
-provide plates and cutlery for the children to use to eat their own packed lunches
and/or
-only provide food occasionally e.g. birthday cake or if parent has been delayed picking up

ESmith03
29-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I found somewhere pinkbutterfly that sells fridge thermometers at a reasonable price. The qusetion is can I write it on here to tell you and not breaching any act as I know you have to be careful??

LindyLou59
29-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Where do we stand if we don't provide meals but we want to do cooking with the children (cakes, biscuits etc) do we need an environmental health check then?

pinkbutterfly
29-06-2010, 05:03 PM
LindyLou59 I guess that would come under the occasional food provision unless you do it very often ...

cmlr
29-06-2010, 06:53 PM
In Derbyshire, you need to be registered with Environmental Health Dept, even if you are only serving pre-packed snacks.

You also need a level 2 Food Hygiene certificate.

You should also contact the Food Standards Agency, who will send you a information folder especially for childminders.

Which reminds me, I need to buy a fridge thermometer, which I will do so now.