PDA

View Full Version : how long?

chels55
30-03-2008, 04:22 PM
How long did it take for you to get your first mindee? Just curious so i have some idea

sarah32
30-03-2008, 04:25 PM
It did seem to take me quite a while to get mindees, was qualified in May 2007, didnt get my 1st mindee until september and was full for under 5 only just recently last month. Lots of childminders were I live and I only got my last two because another childminder retired and I my name was given to the mum.

miffy
30-03-2008, 04:29 PM
I registered to take care of a friends little boy so I already had my first mindee lined up but that was a long time ago

It seems to vary now on what area of the country you are what the competition is like from nurseries playgroups etc and how many other minders there are nearby

It can take a while to get going

Good luck

miffy xx

wendywu
30-03-2008, 04:38 PM
You seem to go a while without any one then get loads of phone calls at once.:)

sarah707
30-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I registered years ago and I started as I had a child already set up to mind.

I had a quiet period last summer with nobody on my books... that was hard, but I advertised like mad and did the round of nurseries and playgroups and was working within 2 weeks of the start of term.

Good luck filling your spaces! :D

angeldelight
30-03-2008, 04:55 PM
When I first started I already had a baby ready to start

I dont think you can put a time to it really - depends on your area and how many childminders already close to you

Also lots of advertising

Some can wait ages for their first child others can be lucky and not wait at all

Also a lot is luck

Angel xx

Noodles
30-03-2008, 05:01 PM
I had quite a slow start and then became full very quickly. Recently i have been very quietbut just had someone come round today so keeping fingers crossed:)

manjay
30-03-2008, 05:02 PM
It completely depends on the demand I would say. It took me a long time to get registered but I made use of that time by telling anyone and everyone what I was doing. I also have a 1 year old so was out and about at toddler groups. I had my first mindees as soon as my reg went through and now 4 months later I am as full as I want to be and turning folks away. I have not advertised at all! BUT and it is a big BUT I don't think that is the norm. I live in quite a small village where there are 2 other minders (both full) but we have 2 primary schools in the village (one welsh, one english) so the demand for care is high.

I wish you luck in getting going

amanda xx