PDA

View Full Version : Afew questions about health and safety

SonnysMummy
30-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi, me with questions again!!!:) Thanks for all the answers i've had so far...still writing the policies!!!!!!!!!!!:panic:

I have afew questions about my health and safety policy that hopefully you can help me with;

Can we use plasters with permission or not at all? On our briefing session they said parents would have to come out of work to apply them!!!

Does washing machine need some sort of safety catch?

Can we have a washing line?

How do i make the cooker safe as in when the front is hot to handle? Children opening it?

May have more questions but that's all for now!!!

sarah707
30-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Hi, me with questions again!!!:) Thanks for all the answers i've had so far...still writing the policies!!!!!!!!!!!:panic:

I have afew questions about my health and safety policy that hopefully you can help me with;

Can we use plasters with permission or not at all? On our briefing session they said parents would have to come out of work to apply them!!!

I have permission to apply hypoallergenic adhesive dressings as required
Does washing machine need some sort of safety catch?
Mine doesn't

Can we have a washing line?
I use a rotary dryer but not in the same area as children are playing. It's about being sensible

How do i make the cooker safe as in when the front is hot to handle? Children opening it?
Don't let them in the kitchen when you are cooking - put it in your risk assessment

May have more questions but that's all for now!!!

Hope that helps :D

angeldelight
30-03-2008, 06:37 PM
I am the same as Sarah

I do have a washing line but its so high that I cant reach it with out standing on tip toes myself so no danger to anyone

Angel xx

SonnysMummy
30-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks for replying:)
About the oven one; is it ok to not have the children in the same room as me then? I know they have to either be in my eyesight or hearing. What if toddlers are wanting my attention while i'm cooking?

Kelly:)

crazybones
30-03-2008, 07:50 PM
You could put them in high chairs watching you with something to do or when they are asleep. I use my slow cooker a lot so do it first thing and leave it on all day.

berkschick
30-03-2008, 07:53 PM
My kitchen has a stair gate up and the children are not allowed in there.

When cooking, its not as bad as you think!

I prepare what I can during the day while they are sleeping or happy playing for a min or 2.

deeb66
31-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I have a rotary washing line.

Unfortunately it is in the area where the children will play as there is no where else for it.

I state quite clearly in my risk assessments that the washing line is never used when the children are playing in the garden and when not in use it has a cover over it at all times.

SonnysMummy
31-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Today i have tried to tie the washing line really tightly so that it's higher up. Not sure what to do yet. I think i would be using the washing line while the children may be playing outside and i also want them to help me with everyday things like pegging out the washing as sorting colours and saying "can you get me two pegs" etc...is a good learning opportunity. Hmm...not sure on that one yet.

I have some more questions:D

I have drain covers but in the Standards it says they must be weight bearing. What exactly does this mean? Am i being dumb?!:blush:

With ornaments and things in your home...can you still have them on window ledges etc? Photo frames...are they out of bounds because of the glass front?

sarah707
31-03-2008, 07:54 PM
I have drain covers but in the Standards it says they must be weight bearing. What exactly does this mean? Am i being dumb?!:blush:

Strong enough to take a child's or adult's weight it stood on...

With ornaments and things in your home...can you still have them on window ledges etc? Photo frames...are they out of bounds because of the glass front?

I still have them - I do not allow children to go anywhere near my window ledges! Also I have photo frames... inspector didn't comment.

HJOpe this helps :D

berkschick
31-03-2008, 07:57 PM
I havent moved anything in my house!

I still have ornaments ( not many though!) , picture frames, etc out.

SonnysMummy
31-03-2008, 08:14 PM
That's good then:) My home can still look homely then and not completely like a nursery;)

I will stand on the drain covers tomorrow:D

sarah707
31-03-2008, 08:31 PM
I will stand on the drain covers tomorrow:D

Be careful! :eek:

manjay
31-03-2008, 08:39 PM
If you don't report back we will know they were not strong enough:D

amanda xx

ChocolateChip
02-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Oh my god, it's been two days- do you think she's gone down the drain?
Hope not!!!

:eek: :eek:

SonnysMummy
02-04-2008, 07:18 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Ha!!! No, i'm ok:D They did bear my weight so everything is fine!!! Just forgot to report back that's all:D

Pipsqueak
02-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Don't worry us like that!!!! We were about to send out a search party....:laughing: