PDA

View Full Version : Working in Partnership with Parents?

jumpinjen
27-06-2010, 08:37 AM
HI,

I'm doing a session with the childminding group next week on working with parents, just thought I would canvas all you lovely professional ladies and see what you all do for 'working in partnership' to make a list of ideas that other minders could use!!

Thanks, Jenni

wellybelly
27-06-2010, 08:41 AM
*Daily Diaries - with all the info
*Parent questionnaires - regularly sent and responding to them if they have anything to moan about
*Emailing photos of new learning experiences
*Sending home learning journeys regulalry and asking for contributions
*Regular updates to personal details e.g. asking them to fill out all about me forms again after 6-12 months
*Inviting parents in for an open day
*Leaflets written by me on the benefits of outdoor play / dental hygiene / messy play / five-a-day
*Logging conversations that relate to child
*Newsletters
*Planning

jumpinjen
27-06-2010, 08:43 AM
That's great, thanks welly!!

particularly like the idea of logging conversations relating to the children.... how do you do that, in a diary?? do parent's sign or just for your info??

Jenni x

wellybelly
27-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Just a log sheet I use for the learning journeys or confiendtial folder if it's more sensative. It has date / name / detail of communication / then a link to the EYFS (e.g PD for Learned to walk)

I use it for changes to a childs routine e.g a sleep pattern or if they've learned something new at home. It's great because it shows I listen to parents and those little conversations at the door when the child is dropped off forms part of their ever expanding learning journey.

I try to get parents to sign them, but it's like trying to get blood out of a stone.

jumpinjen
27-06-2010, 10:12 AM
It's a fab idea.... I've wondered for ages how to provide evidence of the little chats at the door!!

Thanks, that'll be on my action list, whatever the other minders decide to implement!!

I'm also looking at how to get one of my dad's more involved as the parent's are separated and little one comes back very stressed after a weekend with him,

and also thinking about dong some 'take home' activities to extend L and D at home!

Thanks for your help, any other ideas anyone??

Jenni:)

miffy
27-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I give parents some slips of paper to write on anything their child has achieved or enjoyed at home - these are then stuck into their learning journeys.

Miffy xx

sarah707
27-06-2010, 10:19 AM
and also thinking about dong some 'take home' activities to extend L and D at home!

Jenni:)

I have done this by putting together some very cheap and cheerful story sacks... a couple of soft toys or puppets from the car boot, with a relevant book, a laminated list of activity ideas and a laminated appropriate song sheet or puzzle in an envelope.

If children lose bits it's not a worry as it wasn't expensive to put together.

I change the contents regularly to follow their current interests and they go home over weekends on request.

hth :D

jumpinjen
27-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks Miffy, that sounds great too,

do you get a good response??
Do your parents 'know what to look for'?
what sort of things do they put??

Sorry to ask so much but I'm doing a group session and I know that's what I'll get asked by the others!!!

jenni:D

jumpinjen
27-06-2010, 10:22 AM
I have done this by putting together some very cheap and cheerful story sacks... a couple of soft toys or puppets from the car boot, with a relevant book, a laminated list of activity ideas and a laminated appropriate song sheet or puzzle in an envelope.

If children lose bits it's not a worry as it wasn't expensive to put together.

I change the contents regularly to follow their current interests and they go home over weekends on request.

hth :D

I like that idea.... carboot here I come!!

miffy
27-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks Miffy, that sounds great too,

do you get a good response??
Do your parents 'know what to look for'?
what sort of things do they put??

Sorry to ask so much but I'm doing a group session and I know that's what I'll get asked by the others!!!

I think I'm quite lucky, I do get lots back from parents.

Some are teachers working in eyfs so they know what it's about but others just put things like x is using scissors at home to cut shapes out or we read a book about dinosaurs and x was very interested in this.

Miffy xx

jumpinjen
27-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks Miffy!! Definatley worth considering, I've been gradually improving what I do with my learning journeys but still need to work more on getting parent's to contribute to them as they go!

Thanks, Jenni:D