PDA

View Full Version : 'GOOD' or 'OUTSTANDING' confussed???????

maryp0ppins
26-06-2010, 07:43 AM
I have been minding 3 & a bit years & was graded 'satisfactory' in my first & so far only report.
I was happy with that as i admit when i first started i was a little all over the place.
I show every parent my report with pride & do mention my work has improved immensely since i first started what with paperwork,obs,eyfs & numerous of course's Ive attended etc etc & i am proud of myself (though don't actually enjoy paper work, but who does)

A minder in the area has just been given a 'GOOD' so why is she telling people she is 'OUTSTANDING' surly people will know when she shows them her report?? am i wrong?

i do feel a bit of a cow posting this but she Say's she's been minding for 10 years & knows the ropes better, she told me she got 'good' but was 'outstanding' in a couple of area's.........therefore she is obviously outstanding....

I'm i wrong in thinking your grade is whatever is written on you actual report. Please correct me because if this is the case i can go around saying my grade was 'good' as there were a couple of elements in my inspection that were 'good' but overall satisfactory!!!!

mama2three
26-06-2010, 07:49 AM
I know someone who does this too. Of course parents will see the report , so seems odd. Another tells parents she got 'good' as its impossible to get outstanding at first inspection though the inspector told her she was the best she had ever visited ( yeah right!)

Lets be honest , your ofsted report should really only back up how the parent already feels about sending their child to you , not be the main deciding factor. One of the best minders i know got satisfactory - she has a wonderful local repoutation and is full.

The Juggler
26-06-2010, 08:15 AM
I got good with outstanding areas and would never presume to tell everyone I had outstanding.

You're satisfactory was because it was your first inspection and a few years ago, but, show parents that even then your good areas were.... in my experience parents rarely ask to see your report before they visit anyhow. But you could prepare a sheet for parents showing how you've reflected and improved in those areas since that time.

Take no notice of that woman hon - people who blow their own trumpet too much often put parents off anyhow.

Carol M
26-06-2010, 09:32 AM
So she would be GOOD with some areas of OUTSTANDING.
I think to be OUTSTANDING you have to get outstanding in every area.
She can say she is OUTSTANDING in those areas but it would not be classed as overall and I think the overall grade is published.
I have concerns with the whole inspection thing but I appreciate OFSTED are trying to make it consistent for everyone with things like EYFS.
Carol x

onceinabluemoon
26-06-2010, 10:22 AM
It says on the report what grade you have.

Parents will only wonder what else she has lied about when they find out she's lied about the grade so I wouldn't worry about it.

I've also been told by people that you can't get outstanding on your first grade. Somebody ought to have told my inspector that is all I can say...

At the end of the day parents rarely bother with what grade you have if they are happy with you, and if it's all down to a piece of paper I wouldn't want them anyway in case I had an 'off' day...

Mouse
26-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I think that when these grades first came out you have to get "good" or "outstanding" in all areas to get that grade. If you were outstanding in some areas & good in others, you'd be good overall, or if you were good in areas with satisfactory in others, you'd be satisfactory overall.

Now though, I don't think you have to have the grade in all areas, so someone could be be outstanding in some areas & good in others, but still get outstanding over all.

It's daft to pretend you're a grade you're not though. I know one new minder who told me she got satisfactory over all, but had good in several areas. I read her report online & she got satisfactory in every area. It was a good report for a new minder, so I don't know why she'd felt the need to fib.

Playmate
26-06-2010, 12:40 PM
In order for your report to say that the overall grading is outstanding and to receive an outstanding practice cert from ofsted you need to have grade 1 (outstanding) in all 17 areas. I know someone who used to tell parents she got outstanding and then could never find her report to show to parents, mind you she also told 2 sets of parents that hubby and I were retireing so wouldn't be minding for much longer :angry:

Mouse
26-06-2010, 12:48 PM
In order for your report to say that the overall grading is outstanding and to receive an outstanding practice cert from ofsted you need to have grade 1 (outstanding) in all 17 areas. I know someone who used to tell parents she got outstanding and then could never find her report to show to parents, mind you she also told 2 sets of parents that hubby and I were retireing so wouldn't be minding for much longer :angry:

That's what I thought had changed. I thought you could now get Outstanding on your report, even if you had good in some areas. I know someone posted on here a while back that she'd got goods & outstandings, but over all good, while a friend got the same, but over all outstanding?

Millenium
26-06-2010, 03:15 PM
I can assure you that an overall grade of 'outstanding' does not require you to have outstanding in all areas. A mate of mine has an outstanding grade report but her last page shows that out of the 17 areas, she had 3 or 4 level twos with the rest ones. I think ity must depend very much on which categories the twos fall in because clearly not all categories are seen as equal in importance.

I will check on the Guidance Notes for Oftsted Inspectors which are actually available to read but I believe 'buried' in their website!!

I had heard from someone at the DFES that they were thinking of highlighting those who received 17 grade ones, i.e. outstanding in all areas. That may well fall by the wayside with the change in government???

merry
26-06-2010, 07:28 PM
I also know someone who says similar, her grade in all areas was good but she tells everyone the inspector told her verbally she was outstanding. I just ignore it and smile, there are always people who will brag about themselves.

:)