PDA

View Full Version : Should I reduce my hourly rate? PLEASE ADVISE ME!!

Cazz
25-06-2010, 08:45 PM
I was registered in September 2009 and fixed my hourly rate at £3.20 so I wouldn't have to increase it for a while.

However, there are several childminders in my town and not many enquiries at the moment. All apart from one (and she is the only childminder that side of town) are charging £3.00 per hour. Also, the after school club are linking with a playgroup and going to be to be offering a breakfast club so children can go there from 8.00am - 6.00pm (school in between for some) for a really reasonable price :(

Do you think I should reduce my hourly rate to keep myself competitive?

Also, my normal working hours are set at 8.00 - 6.00pm and £2.00 per hour more outside of these hours. The majority of the other childminders offer care from 7.00am or 7.30am - so I am considering offering from 7.30am in my normal hours and charging time and a half for hours outside these times. Do you think this would be wise.

If I do reduce my hourly rate should I reduce it for the 14 month old that comes 7 hours one day a week or keep them on the higher rate?

Finally, I had someone come to see me yesterday about possible minding for their 14 month old 3 days a week. The days would be ideal for me and they were a lovely family so I'd really like to get the contract. They said they were seeing another couple of childminders - this is why I've got to thinking about charges and hours etc, I'd hate to lose out because of money!

Would it be unprofessional of me to contact them if I decide to reduce the fees and increase my working day slightly (they don't know if they need an early start yet) or would that make me sound desperate and possibly as if there's something wrong with me that I'm not getting work? As I say, this contract would fit in perfectly for me!

jo f
25-06-2010, 09:29 PM
I would say 20p an hour more isnt a lot. Leave it as it is. They should want u for u and not for saving 20p per hr!

moljak
25-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I'd leave it for now and see what happens.20p isn't alot and it's not all about the money.If they do choose another minder ask for feedback and ask them to be truthful.You can always question them to see if it was the money then take things from there.

miffy
25-06-2010, 09:36 PM
I think I'd wait and see if these parents come back to you - if they decide they want you then :thumbsup: and they weren't put off by your charges.

If they come back to you but say they are going elsewhere you could ask why and if it is because of price then offer to reduce your fees.

As far as starting earlier and reducing fees I'd only consider this if you are desperate for work otherwise you might resent it in the long term.

Fingers crossed you get this one then the rest won't matter!

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
26-06-2010, 08:39 AM
No I would leave it as it but perhaps think about doing a before/after school rate or a 'holiday special' that doesn't leave you out of pocket but looks competitive with the after school club.
Look at what you can offer against the after school/holiday club:
spontaneous outings
homecooked meals in a homely intimate atmosphere
they are away from school
personalised service.

find that 'selling point' and don't be afraid to use it against the competition

Mookins
26-06-2010, 06:22 PM
what do you offer?

a friendly home from home setting
experience
children of your own
plenty of activities in the home and toddler groups in the area
neighborhood watch area
child friendly garden

sounds perfect to me x x x

Lick'le Oakes
26-06-2010, 06:44 PM
I would keep it as it is too. It isn't all about money and when they visit other childminders they may see what you have to offer their child is better and choose you, so hang in there. I would most proberbly change my starting hours but not my rate.

Hope you get the contract, I hate the waiting.

candy cat
26-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Stick with your pricing....don't under sell yorself.....my parents didn't even discuss how much I charge until I mentioned it....good luck cx