PDA

View Full Version : nanny vs childminder

carolyn01
25-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I was talking to a nanny at nursery and am confused as to why they don't have to do obs, planning, themes, learning journals, have inspections etc. It seems so unfair that we have so much to do with paperwork etc, courses but they don't have to be regulated.

Why is this? :panic:

funemnx
25-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I agree, the only differences are that they work from someone elses home with fewer children and are employed but their children are mostly under 5's so why not the same rules re obs and records?

luiza.t
25-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Nannies are employed and the parents are their boss.
I want to be my own boss and be in charge of my own business. Make my own rules and my word is final otherwise byebye

carolyn01
25-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Yes I understand we are self-employed but why do we not all have the same regulations with regard to the children and why do nannies still not have to adhere to paperwork?

sarah707
25-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Nannies do not come under the remit of the local authority or Ofsted and are pretty much unregulated.

Some belong to nanny agencies and some have insurance which parents buy for them. Some do first aid courses but that is down to the family they are working for giving them time off and usually paying for their course.

There have been recent calls to regulate nannies and to tighten up controls around their employment etc which led to them being allowed to voluntarily register with Ofsted... but only on the older childcare register and for quite a large fee for very little back.

I think it's a pity as there are a lot of very good nannies... but at the same time wonder if huge numbers would leave just like childminders did if faced with the Eyfs. :D

loocyloo
25-06-2010, 07:25 PM
i was a nanny for 14 yrs, i always wrote a daily diary ( or weekly as children grew older) which was for all the children in my care, it often had photos and artwork in it and things i had noticed. i also used to keep a note of where a child was developmently.

all the parents liked this, and the families i am still in touch with, still have the diaries :eek:

some parents did ask me to do the diary, if i hadn't already mentioned that i did one, no one ever asked me to do the developmental thing, that was always for my own benefit, so i remembered when the children did things!

i knew other nannies who did it, and other nannies who did nothing, some were trained and some had no training.

there are times i think about going back to being a nanny :D and no paperwork, but i like being my own boss too much!

PixiePetal
25-06-2010, 07:30 PM
i was a nanny for 14 yrs, i always wrote a daily diary ( or weekly as children grew older) which was for all the children in my care, it often had photos and artwork in it and things i had noticed. i also used to keep a note of where a child was developmently.

all the parents liked this, and the families i am still in touch with, still have the diaries :eek:

some parents did ask me to do the diary, if i hadn't already mentioned that i did one, no one ever asked me to do the developmental thing, that was always for my own benefit, so i remembered when the children did things!

i knew other nannies who did it, and other nannies who did nothing, some were trained and some had no training.

there are times i think about going back to being a nanny :D and no paperwork, but i like being my own boss too much!

I have thought about it too! No paperwork, there's a bonus :thumbsup:

Like being my own boss now though, don't think I could go back to being told what to do - although the families I worked for were pretty good and gave me quite a free rein :D

funemnx
25-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Hmm, no paperwork true - BUT shorter hours (if we choose) plus more children = more income (if we choose!) :)