PDA

View Full Version : Off to school

harrysgirl
25-06-2010, 09:04 AM
I have a long-term mindee who is off to primary school in September....I am looking for some advice, or recommendations of resources, to help her with this transition.
The school have already arranged home-visits & settling in days with the parents so that base is covered...what can I do to help??

moljak
25-06-2010, 10:10 AM
when my DD was goig to school for 1st time.We talked about what she might do at school, we looked at the uniform that the other children wore and how smart she was going to look.We read a couple of books fromt the library about starting school.Can't remember titles at mo tho sorry. We had some play dates with other children she was going to go to school with.Some of them she already new from pre-school.We talked about her teacher and I also made sure I walked past the school at play times to let her see the fun the children were having and also the noise level as this can be quite scary.

Not sure if these are possible for you as it's your mindee but they're just a few examples of what I did :)

DD loved school from day one and actually gets upset when she's ill and can't go and hates school holidays lol

It's a small world
25-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Topsy and Tim go to school or spots first day at school perhaps. I have these and ds 2 loves them and looking forward to starting preschool next year. I'm sure there are other suitable books as well.

miffy
25-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Lots of reviews here about starting school books

http://www.wordpool.co.uk/ccb/school.htm

Do yuo have any other children at the school - I always ask the older ones to look out for the new starters and say hello. Sometimes the school also arrange for the older children to sit with the little ones at lunchtime. When you're new a friendly face means a lot

Miffy xx