PDA

View Full Version : trying to tell parent its full-time

newandlearning
25-06-2010, 07:09 AM
hi all..

I can't believe my luck sometimes.. I've given notice on my only after schooler as he is a bit of a live wire.. and although I really like him as a child I can't guarantee his behaviour.. it ranges from good to unbelievably irratic.. so I've given parents notice partially because of the behaviour but also because I want to have no afterschoolers come sept. and give more time to my own family. I only want to work till 4/5pm... not 6.30.

anyway I gave notice due to me changing my work hours and not being able to have mindee til 6.30 anymore and parents have now said .. that could still work for them as they will only need me till 4pm ... they asked if I was handing notice because of behaviour .. I said it was a lil because of this but mainly because I wanted to reduce my work load and hours and as I would be having a baby and 2 two year olds come sept. I felt this was the most I wanted on a school run ...

I feel a lil like I've :censored: the parents off now a lil.. and they are disappointed... having a child for just one hour twice a week seems a bit pointless to me anyway... do you think what I said was all ok?:)

Blue Boy
25-06-2010, 07:15 AM
It sounds that it will not be very profitable for you, also it will not be very good for the mindee only coming for an hour and then leaving it means that you will not really be ableto plan any activities as as soon as you strt it they will be going. I would stick to your guns.

ajs
25-06-2010, 08:28 AM
having been doing this job for 10 yrs now i have learned that there is no such thing as loyalty from the parents so i really wouldn't worry about them being annoyed, if you want to finish with this boy then do so, don't get into negotiations with the parents.
you can be sure that if they needed to finish with you they wouldn't think twice about letting you down

Tippy Toes
25-06-2010, 09:14 AM
I agree with ajs, parents are not loyal. We think they are but its false if it was the other way around they would have no problem.

Stick to your guns and dont worry :)

Bushpig
25-06-2010, 09:18 AM
having been doing this job for 10 yrs now i have learned that there is no such thing as loyalty from the parents so i really wouldn't worry about them being annoyed, if you want to finish with this boy then do so, don't get into negotiations with the parents.
you can be sure that if they needed to finish with you they wouldn't think twice about letting you down

Agree 100%. :thumbsup:

Goatgirl
25-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi :),
Yes, You have given notice for personal reasons and you are under no obligation to change your mind. What you have said is fine :). If you don't want any afterschoolers at the moment, that's just the way it is: it's nothing personal... I guess if they mention it again you could explain that and say its just the age group - you wouldn't take on another family wanting those hours and pick ups either. The parents will have to deal with it and find their own way not to take offense.

It is hard when you feel parents are disappointed, but you have to think of yourself too. Stick to your guns :thumbsup:

JulieA
26-06-2010, 08:24 PM
i've just given notice to a family for very similar reasons too. Mum works shifts and asked me to cover til 8pm as a one off - which I did. This then escalated to doing at least one 8pm shift each week. My own children are still under five and obviously didn't want to go to bed while there were other children in the house, not that they would be able to sleep with the noise. Also meant that my teenage daughter had to walk to school all winds and weathers because not enough room in the car. Mum was most disgruntled, but it has been a couple of weeks now since I had them and I have to say our family life is much better for it.