PDA

View Full Version : Got a lively one...

Helen Dempster
24-06-2010, 06:59 PM
...minded child that is :blush:

He's turning 5 in October, but he just wants to hit or kick everything and everyone at the moment, shouts when he doesn't get his own way, has appalling manners at the table - shovels food in his mouth and then tries to talk with it full, splattering anyone in range, gets up from the table half way through and loads of other stuff! I'm getting sick of my own voice telling him "no" and why that behaviour isn't acceptable. I really told him off last week, and made him cry, as my own ds was calling him a little monster (only in a playful way) and mindee went rushing over to him (before I could stop him!) and really kicked my boy in the knee - I heard the impact, it must've really hurt! I've only been caring for this boy for 3 weeks! I also care for his 8yo brother who is just as bad (which may be why the little one is the way he is).

Just wondered how you all cope with the lively ones? What sort of activities do you do with them?

sarah707
24-06-2010, 07:31 PM
I let them run around the garden like mad things as much as possible, in all weathers!

We also spend a lot of time talking about why our actions matter.

I wonder if he would draw up a behaviour chart with you?

What do parents say? Is he like this at home or just testing your boundaries?

As you are within the 4 week settling in you really need to be making a decision about extending it.

Hth :D

Helen Dempster
25-06-2010, 07:04 AM
I let them run around the garden like mad things as much as possible, in all weathers!

We also spend a lot of time talking about why our actions matter.

I wonder if he would draw up a behaviour chart with you?

What do parents say? Is he like this at home or just testing your boundaries?

As you are within the 4 week settling in you really need to be making a decision about extending it.

Hth :D

Yeah, I let him out in the garden as much as possible, but he just bashes everything really hard and pushes the sit in cars over (sometimes with the other kiddies inside!) I could try the behaviour chart.
He's like it at home, sounds like he's WORSE at home!! His mum and dad are separated and mum says she doesn't like blaming dad, but after he's spent time there, he's always worse for the next few days (which is understandable). He was in big trouble at school yesterday for misbehaving - shouting at the teacher, waving his finger, demanding a sticker, not tidying up etc, but wasn't like that with me. I feel as though I'm constantly telling him off and I don't want it to be that way. I'm not giving up on him just yet though, but it's so exhausting!!!!! I thought he was a little deaf at first, cos he shouts when he talks (just having a normal conversation) and I have to say things to him about 5 times before he acknowledges it, but the teacher said he can hear a sweetie wrapper about a mile away!!! LOL