PDA

View Full Version : What on earth do i do?!

snufflepuff
24-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I have my first inspection the week after next and my newest mindee still screams all day! If Mrs O comes on the days this LO is here i am going to have a nervous breakdown.....theres no way i will be able to keep her calm and occupied, and the other children, and speak to the inspector. Im going to look like the wrost childminder ever, one mindee screaming all day, the other mindee having pretty much no attention at all, and my poor son trying to get my attention too.........

carolyn01
24-06-2010, 05:43 PM
If you know when Ofsted is coming, I would phone the mum the night before and say I have a bug so can't have child next day. I know its a cop out but its what I would do!

Mollymop
24-06-2010, 05:56 PM
If you know when Ofsted is coming, I would phone the mum the night before and say I have a bug so can't have child next day. I know its a cop out but its what I would do!

...but Mum needs a copy of the Ofsted report - which has the date of inspection on it. What if mum puts two and two together and realises. I wouldn't dare do it

Maybe you could phone ofsted and tell them that you are not going to be in on the days you have the lo?

Anyway I am sure Ofsted will be fine, they would have seen plenty of children crying and wanting attention, it doesn't make you a bad childminder.

Ripeberry
24-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Ofsted are more interested in how you deal with situations, your chance to shine :thumbsup:

snufflepuff
24-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Maybe you could phone ofsted and tell them that you are not going to be in on the days you have the lo?

Would that work though? The lady on the phone didnt ask if i had plans, just what days and times do i have mindees. What would you say, that you had a big outing planned or something?

sarah707
24-06-2010, 06:22 PM
My partner had an inspection while I was looking after a screamer.

She said we all coped wonderfully and didn't worry about it at all :D

nicole
24-06-2010, 06:22 PM
You could say, the only day I don't work is (the day the child is coming) and she wouldn't call that day. Or say you have had a bad tooth ache, and have managed to get to the dentist, again the day the child comes. The ofsted lady wouldn't want to come then!

jelly15
24-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Ofsted are more interested in how you deal with situations, your chance to shine :thumbsup:

I agree this could work in your favour, also she might not hang around too long :D

Tribe_mummy
24-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Might be a sillly suggestion, but have you tried bubbles with the LO? they always seem to work a treat with any of mine or my friends LO's when they are having bad days?

Helen Dempster
24-06-2010, 06:49 PM
As Ripeberry says, this is your moment to shine! Have the little one as normal - Ofsted have seen 100s of children exactly the same as your mindee, I'm sure (and worse!) It's how you deal with them that Ofsted will be watching. I say, go for it. Yes it will be stressful, but any inspection is stressful, even with the most angelic mindees :)

Good luck - you CAN do it and the little one may even surprise you and be great when the inspector's there.

mama2three
24-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Is there anyone who could have your son for the morning shes there? Shes not interested in how you are with him , just mindees - I had my friends little boy during her inspection.
If baby screams then Mrs O will see how well you are dealing with it , how you are working with parents to resolve it etc...I agree , chance to shine !

juejue
24-06-2010, 07:09 PM
I have my first inspection the week after next and my newest mindee still screams all day! If Mrs O comes on the days this LO is here i am going to have a nervous breakdown.....theres no way i will be able to keep her calm and occupied, and the other children, and speak to the inspector. Im going to look like the wrost childminder ever, one mindee screaming all day, the other mindee having pretty much no attention at all, and my poor son trying to get my attention too.........

I know how you would feel. You will be having a nervous breakdown without the screamer being there .I was the same the first time I had mine. I would tell ofsted I was not working the day you have her.
you need to be calm and relaxed. The last thing you need is 3 mindee's who need your attention. While she is watching you.

Good luck . x x

funemnx
24-06-2010, 07:24 PM
I told Ofsted that I was only working on the Monday and Thursday, when I had my inspection (the days my screamer doesn't come). My only mindee is the brightest, most vocal, lovely boy! It did make it much less stressfull!!!

Go for it! :thumbsup:

snufflepuff
24-06-2010, 08:03 PM
I might be being a bit dense here but im not sure i could have told her im not working on the days LO comes- do they not look at your attendance register? Surely she would notice that i have signed mindees in every day then told her i dont work Mondays and Wednesdays???

miss mopple
24-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Don't panic. I had a screamer at my last inspection and yes, it was hard going but I managed and still got outstanding :thumbsup: I didn't get the chance to really play with my other 2 that were here, but obviously chatted to them while they freeplayed and I cuddled the screamer. Then we all snuggled and read stories. My inspector was fine with that and totally understood that I had to give more attention to the child who was unsettled

Just relax, do what you would normally do,and have a large bottle of wine on standby for the end of the day :laughing:

Good luck!

Shells
24-06-2010, 08:15 PM
I agree that this could be great for you . It is not a good idea to start telling OFSTED little white lies as they may come back to bight you . Rather just do what you normally do with the children and I am sure they will see you are a great childminder who deals with difficult situations very well . Good luck !

ourmadhouse
25-06-2010, 07:06 AM
I was feeling a little like you, i had a lo start just before Ms O came the funny thing was it was my little boy who was a green eyed monster.
Ms O was fine and even praised me for dealing with 'all' the outbursts and that made me feel better as i knew i was dealing with outbursts the right way.
(id even thought of sending my little man to his nans for the day but thought no i also do this job to spend time with mine)

Rubybubbles
27-06-2010, 08:31 AM
hope everything goes well for your inspection

I think maybe if it makes you feel a bit better can anyone have your own ds? When I had my inspection first time my hubby was around and took my dd out, it def made it easier (even though she was golden baby) as it was 1 less thing to me to stress about.

As for screamers, I do agree it might mean she won't stay too long:laughing:

TheBTeam
27-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I would go for it, and as others say it may work in your favour, if they see you deal with it.