PDA

View Full Version : Community childminding

heatherw
24-06-2010, 02:56 PM
I have applied to be a community childminder, does anyone else do this and how did you find it?

Pipsqueak
24-06-2010, 04:06 PM
I have been a Community Minder for about 5 years now and I love it. I have worked with all sorts of families - single parents, teen parents, disabled children, respite care and currently have 1 child through the 2yr old pilot scheme.

Its is challenging and stimulating work, its very rewarding, its very demanding, can be frustrating at times though.

I love the work that I do and it enhances my regular work, its also inspired me to head of in different directions.

maryp0ppins
24-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Dumb blonde moment :blush:

But what is a community Minder & how does it differ from a "normal" Childminder??:o

funfunfun
24-06-2010, 04:12 PM

But what is a community Minder & how does it differ from a "normal" Childminder??:o

Thinking the same sorry ???? what does this entail then ?

manjay
24-06-2010, 04:17 PM
I have been a Community Minder for about 5 years now and I love it. I have worked with all sorts of families - single parents, teen parents, disabled children, respite care and currently have 1 child through the 2yr old pilot scheme.

Its is challenging and stimulating work, its very rewarding, its very demanding, can be frustrating at times though.

I love the work that I do and it enhances my regular work, its also inspired me to head of in different directions.

Me too. Our local network is a community and early years network and we provide care as Pip explained. For me it is the next step on from the volunteer work I used to do working with young families in need of a little extra help.

Curly Quavers
24-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Thinking the same sorry ???? what does this entail then ?

Me 2 :D :blush:

Pipsqueak
24-06-2010, 04:28 PM

A community minder is normally someone who is on a specific network ie an approved or CCF network - meeting additional criteria - such as a certain grading or training, quality assured etc.

Community Minders agree to commit to caring for children in certain circumstances - for example:
from the 2yr old pilot scheme
disabled children
working with teen parents
children via social services
children from families with circumstances such as domestic abuse

in effect we are no different to 'normal minders' just that there is a bank of minders who can be approached with immediate effect that are monitored, assessed, approved iyswim

sheinzloch
22-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Hi,

I'm new here, this is my first post. I'm a community childminder who works with the full spectrum of autistic children and has done for the last two years. I would say the main difference for me between "normal" childminding and community minding is that you have an understanding children who present challenging needs. For example, feeding, changes in routine etc. I offer one-to-one due to the nature of my background in special education and the fact that my kids can't integrate with other children.

It's a challenge but more than anything it's fun.

HOpe this helps,

margimum
30-12-2012, 04:08 PM
My local county council run our community childminding scheme. I have been offering 6 hours at weekend respite to families with a child with additional needs, so that the siblings can have a bit of special time with mum.
We have just been informed that the scheme is so popular that they have run out of money!
Instead of being proud to provide such a valuable service, the council are reducing hours and closing the scheme down!!
Both childminders and parents on the scheme are distraught and we've contacted our local MP who is sympathetic but doesn't get to vote on the budget!
Sorry to rant but hopefully someone can reassure me that the threat has been made before and their scheme has been restarted?