PDA

View Full Version : storage problem! shed opinions plz

sweets
24-06-2010, 10:10 AM
I store my every day toys downstairs in boxes in a large 5x5 expedit unit. large toys and toys we dont use everyday are stored upstairs in a double wardrobe that i have shelved BUT i want it back!! lol.

i was thinking of getting a shed to put it a shady part of the garden that is never used. and will store toys in there. does anyone else do this?

what i am concerned about is

1. if i fix shelves up all around the sides of the shed quite high up, do you think the bottom could be used as a playhouse/den or would that be too dangerous with boxes being above the children?

2. could i store car seats and prams in it or would they get damp/mouldy.

3. could i claim for it?

cabby
24-06-2010, 10:43 AM
thats what i do!!

in the play room i have the trofast units and boxes, all my "spare" toys are in trofast boxes in the shed so i can change them around easily, i store all big items and my pushchair in there too and have never had a proble with damp, but we have sealed all joins, gaps etc with silicon.

ive claimed the full amount for it, as theres nothing in there but toys and equipment:thumbsup:

LittleAcorns
24-06-2010, 11:17 AM
I store my large toys and buggies in the garage, I have had one or two with small amounts of mould if im not careful, I found it more with things that were stored long term and not aired regularly though:thumbsup:

newandlearning
24-06-2010, 11:55 AM
hi.. I've got one of those plastic shed things ...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7051801/Trail/searchtext%3ESTORAGE+SHEDS.htm

what I find is the pushchair I have in there is going moldy but I've been
told things go moldy when food is on them so it turns into mold.. not
really sure if that is the case... :rolleyes:

I store by pots and garden stuff in it mainly.. and have a bike buggy
thing in there with no mold on ...

not sure if that helps you or not hun ..hope so..:D

Mouse
24-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Getting a shed for all my toys & equipment was the best thing I ever did!

I have a 4x6 wooden shed that I store pushchairs, highchairs, carseats etc in and a big 6x8 plastic shed that I store toys & craft equipment in. Most things are boxed up, so I can just swap the boxes round as I want to.
Indoors I have boxes of mix toys (some play food, bricks, cars etc) and if I notice the children are particularly interested in one thing (ie. they get all the cars out) I'll go out to the shed & bring in a full box of whatever they're playing with.

The only draw back is that everything ends up in the shed and I can hardly move in there now! I keep telling DH that I'm going to get another one, but as we've already got 3 sheds (another one for bikes) he's really not keen!

sweets
24-06-2010, 12:40 PM
thanks everyone, think i will get one then, had a thought that i could always take the covers off car seats that are going to be stored long term to stop the mould!

what do you think about having the lower half as a den/house tho? it would be good to do but i would be a bit worried that the shelves would break and boxes would fall tho i wouldnt have anything heavy on them!

sweets
24-06-2010, 07:51 PM
any thoughts?:)

Mouse
24-06-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't think shelves in a shed are ever very strong, so if you've got much to store, I wouldn't let children play in there.

solly
24-06-2010, 08:08 PM
I have just had a huge shed built for some of my toys as well as other garden equipment. I am also having a large storage box made which 6 of my large plastic boxes will fit in. To stop anything in there going damp we have had the shed lined with special lining to prevent this. We are having shelves put in one end of the large shed so i have easy access to other boxes that i may not use as often. Even if i could use it for the kids and it is certainly big enough i would be worried something would fall off the shelf.

Lick'le Oakes
24-06-2010, 08:50 PM
I think I would be worried the children will try and get a box down and it end up falling on their heads,:panic: