PDA

View Full Version : Double Buggy - Tandem or Twin???

SammyM
24-06-2010, 05:31 AM
I know this thread is ALWAYS on here, and to be honest its one I've always avoided as I only have b4 and after schoolies, BUT I've agreed to take on the little bro of one of my after schoolies so will need a double buggy (my dd is 2) she would probably be ok on a buggy board, but the thought of clattering my shins on the flipping thing everyday does nothing for me!

I've been looking at the Maclaren twin triumph, can it really fit through a door?? any thoughts on this?? Not sure whether a tandem would be better than a side by side?? Don't want to spend more than £150ish.

Who'd have thought a pushchair would throw up so many choices!!!

Help me girls - I know you have the answer!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

singlewiththree
24-06-2010, 06:01 AM
Can't comment on the Maclaren but I have a Phil & Teds which is fab for children but doesn't really recline for sleeping on the move with 2 in. I also have a Jane Powertwin which is large and long but both seats can lie down at the same time, its light to push as it has 2 wheels but a bit bulky for the car. I will be interested to read the thread too as my Jane is about to collapse so need to replace it.

PixiePetal
24-06-2010, 07:23 AM
I have (and had) a variety!

Maclaren - which I hate pushing now we have moved to the country and the lane is so pot holed :angry: Freegled it last week

Jane twin two - which I bought when we lived in a town till last year - as it fitted through my fron door - Maclaren didn't (although it did fit through most doors, mine was narrow :rolleyes: ) Bulky, not good for a car - I walked everywhere then, but great for kids and both seats had good lie back.

P&T - new buy :blush: As Jane doesn't fit on the bus without me looking a complete loon and taking up all the space and being in country now, I have to use the bus to get to groups etc in town.

Someone on freegle is offering a mountain buggy twin which needs attention - so have emailed about that. Might be worth the price of a new wheel which it aparently needs. We will see.

Would have had a nipper 360 instead of P&T if I didn't need the bus :(

Good luck.

naartjies
24-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Sorry to interrupt - I am following this very closely.
Is it possible to put a buggy board on either the P&T or nipper 360?
I mostly need a double but sometimes a triple and hoping that a buggy board will sort out my extra 2year old when we walk to school - 3 min walk.

SammyM
24-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Me again....

Does anyone have any experience of this???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tandem-Aroo-Twin-Double-Pushchair-Buggy-BLACK-/310228624818?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Baby_BabyTravel_Pushchairs_GL&hash=item483b1125b2

I would have a 15 mth old in the back & 2yr old dd up front.

onceinabluemoon
24-06-2010, 08:39 AM
I had a mac triumph and yes it does fit through standard doorways, other twin macs don't. BUT it's only really feasible for under two's as the seat to footrest space is very short and wilful children can scrape their toes along the ground. However the seat does not lay flat so not suitable from tiny...

Twin Techno is better for seat to footrest length and does lay flat but is considerably harder to push due to a more upright frame angle.

Phil and Teds is good for a small baby and a toddler but no good for two small babies. Its; also useless for an older toddler to sleep in once their head passes the back bar as it cannot recline then. It can also be very unstable when going up and down curbs, as can most 3 wheelers... You can put a buggy board on a P&T but only when the double seat is not in use. I have heard you can add a buggypod but haven't personally tried as mine is unstabel enough with 2 x 2 year olds in it.

ABC twin/triple is possibly the best option all round but folds up flat and very tall... Oh and hugely expensive as imported from NZ.

Twin mountain buggy is a fab push, suitable for all ages and fits through all doorways. BUT folds up huge...

Tandems tend to be very heavy to push I've hated every one I've ever had...

Cheaper end twin side by sides tend to snap framework.

Hope that helps x

(PS Sorry about typos/ bad grammar, am in a rush as off out in a mo...)

singingcactus
24-06-2010, 12:35 PM
My advice would be to forget about fitting through doors and look at how wide your local footpaths are. Remember you will often be head on with another pushchair, so will a side by side fit alongside and regular pushchair without needing to go on the road often.
Also check out your local play park, ours has a really stupid gate that you cannot fit a tandem pram in, the chicane is just too short for a long pram.
So really neither work for here lol, the paths are so narrow it is stupid so twins do not work, and if we visit the next town we cannot get into the park with a tandem - sigh.

moljak
24-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Silver cross pop duo would be my 1st choice, 2nd and third :)

I love my pop single buggy and know of people who have the duo.It fits through doors, in car boots is very sturdy, durable and overall FAB :D

naartjies
24-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Moljak can you get a buggy board on this pram. I've been to the shops today and you can't fit a buggy board on a P&T i have been told, so it rules that one out.

crazyhazy
24-06-2010, 03:02 PM
I got a p&t for my own children nearly 2 years ago and still love it, glad it'll get used for a bit longer with starting childminding. There's 22m between my girls so i have used it with a toddler and baby, right up to now they're 3.5yr and 21m. Neither have any issues sleeping in it although it's prob a good while since the eldest did but that's cos she doesn't nap during the day anymore.

A lot of the other mums here have the out and about nipper 360 which looks good, narrow for a twin and light to push too, but I personally avoided all side by sides cos they wouldn;t have fitted through the door to the cubby where we used to store the pram. Plus we live in a small town and I think I'd struggle in shops etc.

crazyhazy
24-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Moljak can you get a buggy board on this pram. I've been to the shops today and you can't fit a buggy board on a P&T i have been told, so it rules that one out.

someone told me a kiddyboard will fit on the p&t, not tried myself though and know p&t don;t recommend you use one x

onceinabluemoon
24-06-2010, 03:26 PM
someone told me a kiddyboard will fit on the p&t, not tried myself though and know p&t don;t recommend you use one x

Kiddiboard doesn't fit on a P&T sport. I know this for sure because I bought one after being told it fitted and found out the hard way that it doesn't...

However you can fit a Laxi maxi board on one with the new connectors but, as I said in n earlier post, not with the doubles kit on. It's not an ideal fit though as the child's head space is not good. Much better with a doubles kit for the second child.

http://www.buggyboard.info/page.php?buggy=269

singlewiththree
24-06-2010, 08:24 PM
I mostly need a double but sometimes a triple and hoping that a buggy board will sort out my extra 2year old when we walk to school - 3 min walk.

I've put a buggy board on a P&T with just the single seat on but it blocks the brake so not good. A buggy board will fit on the Jane powertwin though but means the back seat can't recline and its a bit of a squeeze

mamasheshe
24-06-2010, 09:09 PM

i have a kid sit on the nippper out and about and i believe:thumbsup: :thumbsup: you can fit the lascal maxi on it as well

Chell
24-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Me again....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tandem-Aroo-Twin-Double-Pushchair-Buggy-BLACK-/310228624818?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Baby_BabyTravel_Pushchairs_GL&hash=item483b1125b2

It looks very similar to a Marco Sky Tandem. I had one which I lkept about three weeks before selling it on eBay. DD hated being in the back as she could hardly see anything. If DS fell asleep in the front then he was really slouched/uncomfortable. I found it really heavy to tip to get up kerbs.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
25-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Me again....

I had one very similar to this and I hated it, it is really high pushchair so depending on how tall you are my cm friend couldn't push it as she is so small and it is really tight to get a lo in the back it is ok when they are little but when they get to 18 months plus I struggled. It was really heavier than I expected as well.

Good luck with what you decided I have a Jane Powertwin which since I bought it only used it a couple of times and I really like it but is is big but a dream to push. x

SammyM
25-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Its a complete mine field isn't it.

Really liked the tandem aroo - so am disappointed with the reviews.

After initially swaying towards the side by side I had a proper look at the paths on the way to school today, and think I may just be a pain getting in everyones way.

Do you think the Tandem aroo would be suitable for a 14 mth old in back & 2yr old in the front?? Only for 15 mins each way 3 days a week??

Its driving me mad!!!!

emmaflossie
25-06-2010, 10:07 AM
i have this one graco tandem quattro tour duo
its a little on the large size when folded .. and it id a little heavy up the curbs .. i tend to find slopes

but i wouldnt change it for the world, however i cant get a buggy board ot fit which is causing me a problem but means i have to get the buggy pod which will fit

both children have had such a fab view around the zoo and farm in it .. i have found it much better than the small tandems where the child in the back has a lot of difficulty seeign anything

SammyM
25-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Wow - have you seen this????

http://www.mothercare.com/Joovy-Caboose-Ultralight-Tandem-Pushchair/dp/B0037LEWLC/sr=1-11/qid=1277492355/ref=sr_1_11/280-4076663-8671724?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=76420031&mcb=core

Might just be what I'm after £££ a bit steep tho!

sweets
25-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Wow - have you seen this????

http://www.mothercare.com/Joovy-Caboose-Ultralight-Tandem-Pushchair/dp/B0037LEWLC/sr=1-11/qid=1277492355/ref=sr_1_11/280-4076663-8671724?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=76420031&mcb=core

Might just be what I'm after £££ a bit steep tho!

wow thats a bit different! it will be interesting to see some reveiws of it.

i will stick to my jane powertwin for now tho, its great.:thumbsup:

crazyhazy
25-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Kiddiboard doesn't fit on a P&T sport. I know this for sure because I bought one after being told it fitted and found out the hard way that it doesn't...

However you can fit a Laxi maxi board on one with the new connectors but, as I said in n earlier post, not with the doubles kit on. It's not an ideal fit though as the child's head space is not good. Much better with a doubles kit for the second child.

http://www.buggyboard.info/page.php?buggy=269

Thanks for telling me, have been pondering getting one, now I know not to bother before I've wasted pennies x

blue bear
26-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Joovy looks good, wonder what it is like to push fully loaded?

I have a mac twin triumph, fits through most doors, my three year old fits in well, she's a big 3 too. I had a sitting buggy board on it, fit lovely no shin bruises!! it does not lay fully flat so children slide a bit and not extended foot rests so feet dangle. I'm five foot three, you would not want to be any taller.

Have switched to Phil and teds, love it can push one handed, easily adjustable handle, does not lay fully flat with both children but they sleep well in it, both children prefer back seat as they tip up and chat to me, the one in front can't see me. Have had it a year and have no yearnings to buy another buggy - record for me:clapping:

SammyM
26-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I think I've decided!!!

Def going for a tandem rather than a twin after all your great advice thanks.

Think I'm going to order this one....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-COSATTO-DUET-LITE-TWIN-DOUBLE-TANDEM-BABY-STROLLER-/140417750551?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Baby_BabyTravel_Pushchairs_GL&hash=item20b18cd617

Plus I'm a sucker for cool upholstery!!!!

:clapping: :panic: :clapping: :panic:

onceinabluemoon
26-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Can I suggest you read these reviews first?

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews106940.html

I know people who have bought it and got shot almost right away. I haven't tried it myself but everybody says much the same thing. (Sorry)

emmaflossie
26-06-2010, 10:35 AM
sammy m im really sorry to say but that pushchair is not great in my opinion :( its very flimsy and there is no room in the back seat .... i had a go of a friends who hates it and ithought i might be able to take it off her hands but it really was awful :(

SammyM
26-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Can I suggest you read these reviews first?

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews106940.html

I know people who have bought it and got shot almost right away. I haven't tried it myself but everybody says much the same thing. (Sorry)

Oh Bum!!!:( :( :(

I'm really torn now, I know its going to be heavy pushing a tandem, but my babes will be 15mths in the back & 2 1/2 in the front, it will be literally for 20 mins to school and 20 mins back 3 days a week so there will be no sleeping involved, I just want something small, practical and relatively cheap.

My four options now are

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-COSATTO-DUET-LITE-TWIN-DOUBLE-TANDEM-BABY-STROLLER-/140417750551?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Baby_BabyTravel_Pushchairs_GL&hash=item20b18cd617

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-GRACO-CITY-QUATTRO-TOUR-DUO-DOUBLE-TWIN-TANDEM-/190407792383?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Baby_BabyTravel_Pushchairs_GL&hash=item2c553056ff

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Babzee-Umbrella-Fold-Tandem-Double-Buggy-Pushchair-/200438850642?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Baby_BabyTravel_Pushchairs_GL&hash=item2eab162452

This is really an impossible decision, do I go for cheap and cheerful, of spalsh out a bit more on the Graco - looks quite big tho??

I'm no further forward :panic: :panic:

emmaflossie
26-06-2010, 12:15 PM
the gracco is what i have it is a lot bigger than others but due to the wheel being chunky i find it really easy to push ... and should you need to do a day in buggys during holidays etc its really comfy for the kids. the only downfall to it is that if you take on another child and need a buggy board i have been unable to find one that fits :(