PDA

View Full Version : itsy bitsy baby caterpillars..awwwww

Helen Dempster
23-06-2010, 09:51 PM
They came in the post today and are tiny! I did't realise caterpillars started off so twee :blush: There's 5 of 'em and it's for our Live Butterfly Garden...has anyone else had one/got one of these? I'm so excited, can't wait to see them grow, become chrysalides and then butterflies :) I couldn't afford the chicks, so this is the next best thing :laughing:

Zoomie
23-06-2010, 10:01 PM
We got ours last week (tues I think).

They are MASSIVE now :eek: :eek:

But it is so exciting :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

Trouble
23-06-2010, 10:02 PM
i have 8 beautiful butterflies ready to be released :clapping:

I was going to release them this weekend but my dd school is holding a special run next friday for a young girl who died of cancer ages 13 her favourite things were butterflies so mine are going to the school to be released in memory of her:( :( :) I have to keep them going til then no pressure :phew:

miss mopple
24-06-2010, 05:53 AM
Only 4 of our 5 have made it but they are all hanging around nicely in their little cocoons right now. Cant wait for them to hatch :clapping:

miffy
24-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Lovely - think we're going to get this with our tesco or sainsbury's vouchers.

Miffy xx

manjay
24-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Ours came on Saturday and they are about 4 times the size they were!

The Juggler
24-06-2010, 11:58 AM
they are fascinating arent they?

TheBTeam
24-06-2010, 12:01 PM
We released our butterflies at the end of last week, this is the second time we have done it, the first time the butterflies hung around for days, this time not.

But it is a fantastic experience we actually watched our first lot emerge from the chrysalis to become butterflies, absolutely amazing.

Mouse
24-06-2010, 12:07 PM
We had them a couple of years ago. We started off with 6, but 3 went into their cocoons earlier than the others & the the ones still on the move ate them :eek:

Not very pleasant, but the kids were fascinated!

We still had 3 botterflies to release & they hung round the garden for a coulpe of days :clapping:

I'm thinking of trying ladybirds next.

funfunfun
24-06-2010, 04:11 PM
They came in the post today and are tiny! I did't realise caterpillars started off so twee :blush: There's 5 of 'em and it's for our Live Butterfly Garden...has anyone else had one/got one of these? I'm so excited, can't wait to see them grow, become chrysalides and then butterflies :) I couldn't afford the chicks, so this is the next best thing :laughing:

I have got one havnt sent off for it yet as only have 1 mindee 18 months old ......want to wait till i get a few more :)

louni
28-06-2010, 01:38 PM
We have had a fab morning watching 3 of ours turn into chrysalis (two turned yesterday whilst no one was looking!). The change only takes about 10 minutes so if you can catch it you are very lucky. The children were mesmerised(so was I!):) Can't wait for the next bit.:clapping:

Zoomie
28-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Our tub got bumped off the table today :ohdear:

snufflepuff
28-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Wow this sounds amazing, where do you get them?!

miss mopple
28-06-2010, 03:59 PM
We have had a fab morning watching 3 of ours turn into chrysalis (two turned yesterday whilst no one was looking!). The change only takes about 10 minutes so if you can catch it you are very lucky. The children were mesmerised(so was I!):) Can't wait for the next bit.:clapping:

we missed that biit and are now desperately waiting for them to hatch. Cant wait :clapping: :thumbsup:

snufflepuff- there is a link in the forum shop :thumbsup:

louni
29-06-2010, 06:09 PM
I bought a national trust butterfly observatory and the voucher for the caterpillars was in the box. They were sent from insectlore.co.uk. Such a fab thing for the children(and us) to see! Think I am boring everyone to death keep prattling on about them!:laughing: xx

shopshelleyd
29-06-2010, 07:47 PM
We are doing them for 2nd time. As you all say fascinating, i keep telling everyone about them and showing them to everyone who comes near. We've had ours just over a week and 2 have turned into crysalis today and 3 still wandering around. I did think 1 was going to eat another earlier so fingers crossed it doesnt!

Children all fascinated as well, such a lovely thing to do isnt it! Think everyone should experience it :)

Shelley