PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone work term time only?

MrsShell
23-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi

At the moment I am considering what hours to work. I originally wanted to work term time only but keep changing my mind because I think this will obviously limit the amount of enquiries I'll get.

Does anyone work term time only and do you get many enquiries or does it put prospective parents off?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Michelle x :)

betty00
23-06-2010, 08:29 PM
i was wondering the excact same thing...........i've worked term time only for a number of years in a couple of different settings and love having the holidays to spend with my own family....thanks for posting this....saved me the job lol

gigglinggoblin
23-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I work term time only, I ony work part time but have more than enough enquiries. I advertise as no fee for the holidays so parents who want term time only care (teachers, students etc) will hopefully be attracted by the benefits! You can always try advertising term time only and then change your mind if you need to, it will depend on your area I guess.

miffy
23-06-2010, 09:06 PM
No but I'd like to! :)

I think if you advertise as no fees in the holidays you'll probably get some enquiries - you could always consider all year round work if it doesn't work out

Miffy xx

singlewiththree
24-06-2010, 06:11 AM
I work term time only and only charge for term time. I get school staff, support staff, teachers and assistants. They only pay for term time and I only take my holidays in holiday time so its win win for them. I do work adhoc in the holidays so I have one child starting who wants all year but I am only charging school term and if I am available in the holidays I will otherwise family members will help her out as its only 1 day a week.

grindal
24-06-2010, 10:02 AM
As an ex teacher married to a teacher I only wanted to work term time. However, when I first started minding I had to review this as I just was not getting any enquiries. In the end I took on a mindee on a full time basis - but lost her just before the summer holidays!
Since then i have only ever worked for teachers who have all wanted term time only.

I would suggest you advertise as term time only initially and see how much interest you generate.

Mrs Pootle
24-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Do you have a local collage or uni near you? I advertise there and have had enquiries from mature students & staff wanting childcare term time only.

moljak
24-06-2010, 11:11 AM
I currently work term time only but I'm loosing my mindee end of July.I have advertised but not mentioned term time only to see what enquiries I get.I'm hoping to maybe just have a couple of mindees part time so that even if I do work holidays it may just be 2 or 3 days per week.
I never thought about advertising at the college so might do that now.Thanks.

Ripeberry
24-06-2010, 11:20 AM
I work term-time only and Tues-Fri, this is mainly because I'm surrounded by after school clubs and holiday clubs who charge much less than me during holidays and most CMs seem to take Fridays off!

I also do it to suit my familly circumstances as we go away a lot during school holidays and we don't want other people dictating when WE can go on holiday.

Yes it does restrict my work, but I don't do holiday retainers so parents just pay for term-time, they can do it each week or if it's a fixed amount of hours they can divide it up over the year and then I still get a wage during the holidays.
Do what suits your familly :thumbsup:

MrsShell
24-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all your comments so far, they have been really helpful and have given me some great ideas.

I am going to stick my guns and go with what I initially wanted to do and advertise as term time only. I currently work term time and enjoy spending the holidays with my family.

I am going to advertise that no fees payable in the holidays and am going to advertise at a local University that is only 3 miles away from me. I may also do what Paula suggested and offer ad hoc care in the holidays if needed. I hadn't thought of any of these things!!

Thats it then, all sorted! Just have to put it into practice when I get registered and see if it works out. If not, back the drawing board.

Thanks again. Michelle x :clapping: