PDA

View Full Version : Are neighbours kids able to come round and play ?

loobyloo168
23-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Was just wondering as its coming up to the holiday are friends kids or neighbours kids allowed to visit or stay and play whilst having minded kids ?

Not charging for them obviously, just that im working all through the holiday and was wondering if the 9 year old neighbour & DD's friend whos 3 are able to come and play for the day during the holidays.

Do OFSTED numbers only include Contracted paying children ?

Cheers xx

gigglinggoblin
23-06-2010, 06:03 PM
no, ofsted numbers arent just for the ones who pay. you have to be in your numbers even if its friends kids who come. also worth worrying about planning permission possibly (I cant be looking after more than 6 under 14 in the house at one time). If friend comes too and is looking after their kids they dont count. 9 yo shouldnt put you over numbers but 3yo might

loobyloo168
23-06-2010, 06:23 PM
no, ofsted numbers arent just for the ones who pay. you have to be in your numbers even if its friends kids who come. also worth worrying about planning permission possibly (I cant be looking after more than 6 under 14 in the house at one time). If friend comes too and is looking after their kids they dont count. 9 yo shouldnt put you over numbers but 3yo might

Sorry what do you mean by Plannng Permission ?

clio0602
23-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Where I live we are only able to mind 4 children at any one time before we need to apply for planning permission (change of use poss???)

I think the total number of children you are responsible for need to be within your Ofsted numbers whether they come to play or are minded x

aly
23-06-2010, 06:51 PM
unless they are over 8 they willbe in your numbers

loobyloo168
23-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Okey dokes, what a shame.

DD was hoping to have her little friend round for her birthday tea but i will be minding aswell.

Thanks x

juejue
23-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Okey dokes, what a shame.

DD was hoping to have her little friend round for her birthday tea but i will be minding aswell.

Thanks x

As long as you are looking after your mindee's, I am sure there shouldn't be a problem. I know a few childminders who have had their own children's friends around for partys n picnics.

Tealady
23-06-2010, 07:51 PM
When I did my Pre-reg training we were told that the odd playdate doesn't matter. However that was pre-EYFS and as I haven't been nowhere near full, ever, it's not been an issue so not looked into it.

Notwithstanding this, could your DD's friends Mum come with her, She could sign your visitors book to show she was there?

loobyloo168
23-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Mum cant stay. Iv never really worked holidays before but its good money and i cant afford to turn it down.

We'll see what happens closer the time. I might be losing one yet so may not matter.

Blaze
24-06-2010, 02:04 AM
Basically it's for all the kids in YOUR care - minded, your own & children who have come round to play, so if you're registered for 6 (inclusive of your own children) then the total amount of kids (under 8), has to fall within these ratios...you can have as many over 8's as your insurance / LA allows as long as their presence doesn't have an impact on the care you give the under 8's.
HTH :)

gigglinggoblin
24-06-2010, 07:24 AM
As long as you are looking after your mindee's, I am sure there shouldn't be a problem. I know a few childminders who have had their own children's friends around for partys n picnics.

I know a few childminders who do a lot they shouldnt, it depends whether or not you get caught! I wouldnt want to risk mindees parent being annoyed that you are over your numbers incase they complain to Ofsted. I know its important to my parents that I abide by the rules, its what gives them confidence to leave their kids with me and lets me be proud of the service I offer. You may as well not register if you dont go along with the rules, it would save all the paperwork!

aly
24-06-2010, 08:47 AM
I know a few childminders who do a lot they shouldnt, it depends whether or not you get caught! I wouldnt want to risk mindees parent being annoyed that you are over your numbers incase they complain to Ofsted. I know its important to my parents that I abide by the rules, its what gives them confidence to leave their kids with me and lets me be proud of the service I offer. You may as well not register if you dont go along with the rules, it would save all the paperwork!
agree! :thumbsup:

nelly
24-06-2010, 12:05 PM
just wondering, what if im not actually working on a certain day then can several children come round to play. because its my daughters party soon and i know some of the parents wont be staying :huh: .
sorry if this dosnt make sence.:blush:

loocyloo
24-06-2010, 12:52 PM
just wondering, what if im not actually working on a certain day then can several children come round to play. because its my daughters party soon and i know some of the parents wont be staying .
sorry if this dosnt make sence.

if you are not working, then it doesn't matter how many children you have in your house!

when it was DS's birthday i decided not to work, as then i didn't have to worry about having the correct ratios! one of my mindees came, but i told mum i wasn't working, and didn't charge her. her son came as a friend that day. (it also meant i could enjoy DS's birthday without concentrating on the LOs!)

moljak
24-06-2010, 01:32 PM
This poses lots of questions doesn't it.

If it's your DD's birthday will there be other adults there to help? your partner? grandma ect.

If this was happening would it then be possible to make them responsible for your DD so she wasn't counted in your numbers then her friend could be?
Would ofsted find this acceptable?

aly
24-06-2010, 02:02 PM
just wondering, what if im not actually working on a certain day then can several children come round to play. because its my daughters party soon and i know some of the parents wont be staying :huh: .
sorry if this dosnt make sence.:blush:
if you're not working than that is fine as you have no mindees.

nelly
24-06-2010, 02:39 PM
if you're not working than that is fine as you have no mindees.

what if the mindees come to the party and you dont charge the parents is that still allowed:huh:

aly
24-06-2010, 02:51 PM
what if the mindees come to the party and you dont charge the parents is that still allowed:huh:
you wouldnt be working ;) so would be allowed

naartjies
24-06-2010, 04:15 PM

:thumbsup:

juejue
24-06-2010, 07:50 PM

Yeah I agree, but its the ones who have been doing it for years (15 -20 years) and think they will not get caught.

Answer this for me please,
If you go on a day out and there is not enough room in your car for yourself and mindee's. Is one of the mindee allowed to travel with an other childminder in their car without you.

I always thought you have to be with mindee's at all times for insurance reason.

x x

Pipsqueak
24-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah I agree, but its the ones who have been doing it for years (15 -20 years) and think they will not get caught.

If you go on a day out and there is not enough room in your car for yourself and mindee's. Is one of the mindee allowed to travel with an other childminder in their car without you.

I always thought you have to be with mindee's at all times for insurance reason.

x x

Its not ideal but providing you have parental permission and that minder has the appropriate seats/insurance etc then yes.

miss mopple
24-06-2010, 08:16 PM

x x

in that situation I usually get my own children to travel in my friends car

Rubybubbles
27-06-2010, 08:25 AM

If it's your DD's birthday will there be other adults there to help? your partner? grandma ect.

If this was happening would it then be possible to make them responsible for your DD so she wasn't counted in your numbers then her friend could be?

The numbers wouln't change though as dd is not on the ratio from ofsted:)

It would still be registered for X amount of children IYSWIM!!

The best thing is to either have a day off or have the parent stay I am afraid!

loobyloo168
27-06-2010, 09:22 AM

The numbers wouln't change though as dd is not on the ratio from ofsted:)

It would still be registered for X amount of children IYSWIM!!

The best thing is to either have a day off or have the parent stay I am afraid!

Definatly does. There been alot of other senarios thrown up aswell.

DD has seen Thomas Land at Drayton Manor on the TV and has asked to go there so thats what we'll be doing now. Day off and just the four of us going out for the day ! Should be nice.

X