PDA

View Full Version : Compulsary NVQ 3?

funemnx
23-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Childminders in my village have been called today by our CDSO and asked what qualifications they have. I was out so have not had a call yet but have been told we'll have to do an NVQ 3.

I've been thinking of doing it anyway for some time and not got around to getting information, so for me, it's a good thing.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

What do you think?

merry
23-06-2010, 01:43 PM
The woman starting up our childminding network told us that by 2015 it will be compulsory for all childminders to have or be working towards a level 3 qualification, she thought it might even be brought forward to 2012. But then we have a new government now so who knows what might change by then?

:)

funemnx
23-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm happy to do it, even though it'll be really hard work but it's shame it'll be compulsory as some people will find it 'the last straw'

Hebs
23-06-2010, 02:25 PM
but will it be compulsory under the new government???? :laughing:

venus89
23-06-2010, 03:26 PM
We have to be at least half way through one to be accredited now, in my network.
I think it has it's good and bad points. To be a good childminder, doing a course like the DHC does help, especially to understand the EYFS. And the DHC isn't hard, it's just time consuming. On the flip side of the coin, as funemnx says it might well make some current minders leave.

I still think that we should receive some kind of funding towards training. I know the DHC is heavily subsidised but it's a lot of our unpaid time taken up....

Ripeberry
23-06-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't mind working for qualifications but it's the time! I have my own familly to look after and do two other jobs which I need for money, so doing a course would be the 'final straw' :(

HELEN10
23-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Not sure how true it is but i have heard that this is your last chance to get funding to do it!

nannymcflea
23-06-2010, 05:30 PM
I am attempting to get funding for a foundation degree. I have been told funding is available until 2011...this is a 2 year course!:rolleyes:

As for the level 3. If done through a college then most of the "work" is done by the accessor, through observations.There is some written work but I didn't find it too time consuming.(just boring!)

rickysmiths
23-06-2010, 06:48 PM
They are so set on all of us doing this 'A level' in childcare.

Firstly I want to know why they will not recognise previous training at a higher level or the accumulated experience of 19yrs working with children, doing regular and varied training?

I actually resent being constantly told that I am less able to do this job than an 18yr old straight out of college who has an A'level ' equivalent and no experience, just because I don't have it.

I have to say the pre school where one of my mindees goes are Level 3 Qualified and the Learning Journey they sent home with her this week demonstrated that they have little understanding of EYFS. They certainly don't know how to do a Learning Journey, only 2 next steps recorded for the whole 2yrs this child has been at Nursery :rolleyes:

Also last Thursday the same child proudly brought home a ceramic football money box which she had done a bit of colouring on, whoever was helping wrote on it 'Happy Farthers Day 2010. :eek:

I will do mine, when Ofsted inspectors who have been in the job since the beginning and do not have a degree, have to go and do one, because it is a degree entry job now. or someone can demonstrate that I will benefit from doing this qualification. :clapping:

TheBTeam
23-06-2010, 06:53 PM
They are so set on all of us doing this 'A level' in childcare.

Firstly I want to know why they will not recognise previous training at a higher level or the accumulated experience of 19yrs working with children, doing regular and varied training?

I actually resent being constantly told that I am less able to do this job than an 18yr old straight out of college who has an A'level ' equivalent and no experience, just because I don't have it.

I have to say the pre school where one of my mindees goes are Level 3 Qualified and the Learning Journey they sent home with her this week demonstrated that they have little understanding of EYFS. They certainly don't know how to do a Learning Journey, only 2 next steps recorded for the whole 2yrs this child has been at Nursery :rolleyes:

Also last Thursday the same child proudly brought home a ceramic football money box which she had done a bit of colouring on, whoever was helping wrote on it 'Happy Farthers Day 2010. :eek:

I will do mine, when Ofsted inspectors who have been in the job since the beginning and do not have a degree, have to go and do one, because it is a degree entry job now. or someone can demonstrate that I will benefit from doing this qualification. :clapping:

Same here, in most jobs there is a 'grandfathering' process (note spelling:rolleyes:):laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

singingcactus
23-06-2010, 07:00 PM

I think this qualification covers that. APELME (http://www.apelme.co.uk/)

Donkey
23-06-2010, 09:58 PM
its the same with the eyps...

students are leaving uni with any degree, thinking oh ill go into childcare, doing an eyps course then going into a setting expecting to 'lead practice' when they have no childcare experience. they wont change a nappy as they are there to lead practice...

I think that experience counts for a hell of a lot and if your applying for a job somewhere else and can demonstrate that your at a level 3 then you should get it. it might be worthwhile getting the piece of paper though if you can get funded, you might be able to apl most of it anyway (acredited prior learning)

solly
24-06-2010, 08:20 AM
If it becomes compulsory then i will certainly give it all up as I think it should be up to each person whether they want to do it or not. I praise people who want to do it and study but it is certainly not for me

bekki0405
24-06-2010, 01:08 PM
My Network Development Co-ordinator has definintely told me that you need to have an NVQ3 by 2015, or working towards it.
I wanted to do it anyway, I'm young enough to benefit from the qualification, and I am going onto the Network, so would require it. Plus, I would like to draw down the 3&4 year old funding, so need it for that.
However, I have friends who are definitely not going to do it, and are burrowing their heads in the sand about it. They seem to think if they keep their head below the parapet, they wont have to do it. There are two differnt sets of parents out there. There are the ones who want aducational childcare, with all the qualifications that go with it. And there are the ones who want their child cared for by a regisitered childcarer. It shouldn't be forced on everyone though.
I think it WILL be brought in, because of the desire by the governement to have all childcarers on a level playing field. The NVQ2 is going to be phased out, and the person who said funding for the level 3 is in doubt for the future, I heard that too.
I don't think the change of government will make a difference, but that's on a personal note.

Blue Boy
24-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Having just completed the NVQ Level 3 I can say that it has helped me in some areas i.e. the different kinds of written observations.

Ripeberry
24-06-2010, 04:53 PM
We had a pre-school leader who was fully qualified degrees coming out of her ears, but she was rubbish as dealing with the children and parents and was always off sick as she had to keep bending down to play with the children :rolleyes: .
I think it's sad that it will be made compulsory, there are CMs out there who are very caring and deal with the children and parents very well, but they may have problems with studying.
Hope if they make it compulsory, they make it user friendly for everyone :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
24-06-2010, 05:20 PM
On a personal note, I hope not:blush:

I am 45 now, was a nanny (unqualified) from the age of 17 then registered as a CM when expecting my first baby - who is now 16.

Parents are happy with the care and experience I offer and I would love to continue but if it's all on paperwork then I may just throw in the towel :o