PDA

View Full Version : should I do anything else? sorry long!

crazyhazy
23-06-2010, 01:20 PM
We live next door to a primary school and since the better weather came in, at least 2-3 times a week and usually more like every night, we see children walking on the roof of the school. It's too easy for them to get up there, there's a preschool attached and they have a shed for their outdoor toys, so they climb on the fence, on the roof of that and up onto the school roof.

We've tried calling the police but half the time they don't even bother to come out and even when they do it's usually much later and they've gone already. Tonight h was out in the garden and heard shouting, so he went to see and there were 3 kids on the roof a lot younger than usual, one was a bit scared and he had to help her down. When I came out I went and spoke to them, asked where they lived and they pointed to a row of houses backing on to the school, quite some distance from where they were. I asked their names and how old they were, 5, 6 and 8 The youngest one actually knew my 3yo cos she's still at the preschool so must only just be 5! The middle one also goes to the school, and the eldest one a different school. Lovely kids and I had a chat and asked what they thought would happen if they fell off etc and think they understood not to do it again.

Later on I noticed there was a huge crowd of older kids up on the roof running about, so called the police, a few mins later we heard a lot of shouting and seen one boy running carrying another. I went out and offered help, first thought he'd fallen off the roof, but turns out he fell on top on the roof through glass and slashed his leg. Called and ambulance and then the police finally arrived and took over from me applying a dressing etc. Ambulance arrived along with his parents and made him comfortable before taking him to hospital, looks like he'll need surgery. Really hoping now they might stay off the roof before something worse happens.

I have been into the school today and spoke to the head teacher, he had not even been informed by the police what happened last night yet! I explained everything and gave him the names of the 5 and 6yo, he is going to issue a letter to the whole school plus contact these parents individually.

Is there anything else I should do, would you contact social services? I'm actually more concerned today at the lack of interest from the police when I told them about the younger children, they didn't seem bothered to find out their names despite me saying they had told me. Surely it's not right for a 5yo to be out without an adult at 7pm at night that far from home?!

Pipsqueak
23-06-2010, 01:28 PM
I would be contacting the local council to inform them, as well as the governors of the school. Do it all in writing.
If none of that gets you anywhere start contacting the local newspapers - bet the council will act quickly then!

miffy
23-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Hopefully you have already made a difference as far as the 3 younger children are concerned and they won't do it again. I would leave it for now but if you see them back up on the roof then either talk to the parents, ring police or social services or all three!

I don't think the police have been too helpful here but now the headteacher is aware that may change.

Miffy xx