PDA

View Full Version : settling each morning

terrydoo73
23-06-2010, 08:21 AM
I have twin mindees aged 2 years 2 months and find it difficult to settle them when they come in the morning. Not that it is crying or anything - rather the opposite. They are just too happy to be with me!! At present with the weather dry I can have the back yard ready for them to run around for an hour and that is all they seem to do. They never settle to ride a trike or play with the balls, sand tray, slide or cars - just run round and round. I know it is OK just to let them have this time to let off steam but it unnerves me. They throw everything about the yard, run into the back of the house (now I have a gate on between the kitchen and the rest of the house so they can't go any further) and out into the yard again. It is just constant until morning snack time which when over means it starts all over again. I have been so thankful that the weather has been good to allow us to get outside and have the exercise time - when they were in the house it was the same so much so that I had to lock room doors just to stop them moving about so quickly!

Any suggestions as to what I could do to get them to settle more easily every morning?

suzyblue
23-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Put them straight into the cupboard under the stairs?:D

AliceK
23-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Two of my 2yr olds are the same, especially one of them she just runs everywhere and is into everything but not for long just flits from one thing to another but it's just an age thing and doesn't bother me. She will concentrate when we do craft activities. I do however have a 3rd 2yr old who doesn't do anything except look at books. She will stay in one place all day if I let her. She never runs around with the others or does any physical activity at all.

xxxx

The Juggler
23-06-2010, 01:17 PM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

miffy
23-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Are they the same at home? It's probably just a phase - you could try going outside with them and sitting down to do an activity, don't talk or try and persuade them to come over but just see what happens - they will probably be curious enough to come and see what you're doing and might want to join in.

Miffy xx

terrydoo73
23-06-2010, 01:48 PM

How I would love to!

terrydoo73
23-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Are they the same at home? It's probably just a phase - you could try going outside with them and sitting down to do an activity, don't talk or try and persuade them to come over but just see what happens - they will probably be curious enough to come and see what you're doing and might want to join in.

Miffy xx

What sort of activity would you suggest - I mean I do have all the usual outside things like sand tray, slides, rockers, ride ons, playhouses, mark making on a chalk board, trucks, diggers, cars etc and balls - is there anything specifically I could do?

miffy
23-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Something to make them curious - like mixing - mud pies or any ingredients you have around or something they've not seen before like shaving foam with combs or sticks to make marks in. Anything you can think of that might just grab their attention and make them stop and investigate.

If you don't fancy messy what about some different sized tubes and balls to roll down them.

Miffy xx

terrydoo73
24-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Ok so this morning they arrived and just after mum left they escaped from the back yard - how - by crawling under the gate!! I have wire over the gate to prevent them climbing and a padlock so they cannot open the gate but to be honest I never thought they would try this. Why did I not see it happening - I was watching one in one area and by the time I looked out the eldest was standing in the laneway (we live on a farm so quite dangerous out beyond the gate!)

A while late I knew the same child was getting a bike out of the lean to shed behind the wooden playhouse and I was watching his brother doing something. When I went to see what he was at he was taking the chain off the bike!

What did the other one do while I was sorting this one out - removed the hose from the tap!

I ask you - what more can i be doing to settle them?

singingcactus
24-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Sounds like 'less is more' kind of kids. Have only a few toys out, and then only open ended toys, like balls, boxes, mud, sand etc. They seem a bit young to have them doing activities, they sound inquisitive and interested kids. The kind of kids you can have fun with science and messy play resources.
I bet they would enjoy ramps, and tunnels and tents and obstacle course ideas. They sound like they want to do stuff with their whole bodies not just their hands and fingers. Like jumping in hoops, walking on balance beams (you can make a cheap one with a decking board) and tossing footballs into large buckets or empty paddling pool.
Maybe you could put out a teddy bear already taking part in an action you would like the kids to copy - do you know what I mean, like have the teddy half way along a balance beam, or draping cloths over a low down washing line etc.
Whatever you do I would only have out about 4 choices at the most for a while, until they begin to show some focus - maybe when they reach 2 and a half or so.

The Juggler
24-06-2010, 04:49 PM
how about an exciting den and you change the contents regularly. Might keep them in one place and inside the den for first 5 minutes each day???