PDA

View Full Version : Obsessed with water

terrydoo73
23-06-2010, 08:16 AM
I have a little one aged 2 years 2 months who is obsessed with water! If there has been rain and a small pool of water is on the ground he is in it - not just jumping with his feet but hands, mouth everything! If I have dishes in the sink and am standing washing them he is on his tiptoes beside me trying to get his hands into the water. I have had to lock the bathroom door as he stands with his hand down the loo.

Mum knows about this obsession and it drives her nuts too! She has a back kitchen with a toilet attached and when he goes in at night it is straight for the toilet or if mum has been washing potatoes during the day and put them in a saucepan of water beside the sink he is doing his best to get at the saucepan!

We both agree that there is no way we would put out the water tray at the moment as we did this together one day and he was soaked within 2 seconds!

How would you advise us to get around this problem - I know some say you should just give them plenty of opportunities to play with water but it is the hassle of cleaning up. I know we have tried aprons but before we knew it he had his whole body soaked and was even trying to jump into the water tray itself!

angiemog
23-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I would put the water outside each day but change the variety of activities. I have a spare set of clothes that I keep at my house. I change their clothes let them play if they get soaked then I change them once the water has gone away.
I have a tuff spot that I put water in. On colder days I put their wellies on and let them jump in it. I have had water in the house a few times but this is restricted to the kitchen which is enclosed. Most of my messy play can be 'shut off' for me to deal with later. Good Luck x

funemnx
23-06-2010, 12:36 PM
In the warm weather, some water outside and he can just have his pants or nappy on? :)

venus89
23-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Same as Angie - water's fun and if he's being constantly kept away from it it will make him want to play with it more! What about a paddling pool? It's lovely weather for a paddle today.....

merry
23-06-2010, 12:43 PM
I have a little one who absolutely loves water too, I only do water play outside anyway, and have changes of clothes so it's not too bad. If the weather is good enough you could strip him down to his nappy, smother in suncream and let him go for it. If you really can't stand it, then just don't do water play. I personally can't stand the mess babies and toddlers make when painting so I just don't do it until they're old enough to manage without covering themselves and everything within reach in paint.

:)

Mouse
23-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Would he be interested in one of those splat mats (is that what they're called?), the mats that are filled with water? We use to have one that had shapes ect in it & as the children hit it, everything inside moved round.

Or Aquadraw - using water, but not as messy! Or a bucket of water & big brushes so he can "paint" outside with the water.

Perhaps if he had some uses for the water he might not be so intent on getting himself wet all the time and would give you a break from the messy!

The Juggler
23-06-2010, 01:10 PM
I think it'd be wrong not to let him have the water tray out hon, given his interest in it.

Try watering cans, hoses etc, show him how to fill them up and water the plants. Get him in an apron/overalls and have him mixing stuff into his water and as somoene said in this weather, just have him in light shorts, t-shirt and barefoot - then just change him.

I have a little one with hose/water obsession and change him several times a day.

terrydoo73
23-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I have a little one who absolutely loves water too, I only do water play outside anyway, and have changes of clothes so it's not too bad. If the weather is good enough you could strip him down to his nappy, smother in suncream and let him go for it. If you really can't stand it, then just don't do water play. I personally can't stand the mess babies and toddlers make when painting so I just don't do it until they're old enough to manage without covering themselves and everything within reach in paint.

:)

This has been my policy up until now as regards water - I took them down my long lane in spring time and it was full of puddles - they just stood there for ages and of course were soaked to the skin when we got back to the house!! I have another little girl aged 4 1/2 and I always put out the water tray when the twins are sleeping just so she doesn't think I am depriving her of anything! Mum and my policy has been "wait until the sun is really hot so that they dry off quickly afterwards!" Cowards aren't we!

Ripeberry
23-06-2010, 03:30 PM
I mind a 3yr old after pre-school and she usually comes to me with a bag full of wet clothes from the school. She is in water all the time and when she is with me, I let her play with the playsink as it has a battery powered tap, she fills up watering cans for me and waters the plants (great in this weather) and this week we are going to have a sprinkler, water slide and water pistol party with lots of bubbles :D

Rubybubbles
23-06-2010, 07:20 PM
http://www.clippasafe.co.uk/rsm/53/products/?stage=view_category&id=23

heehee don't stop it!! I have always said no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing;)

juejue
23-06-2010, 08:53 PM
http://www.clippasafe.co.uk/rsm/53/products/?stage=view_category&id=23

heehee don't stop it!! I have always said no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing;)

I have these, They are fab. I put them on the children the other day over their swim suits coz it wasn't that warm and got the water mat out with the hose running through it. They loved it.

x

terrydoo73
24-06-2010, 10:31 AM
If anyone has these can you tell me how waterproof are they? I have painting overalls all in ones which I know I should try with them some day as well!!

TheBTeam
24-06-2010, 12:22 PM
We do most of our water play on warm days outside, and then i dont feel it matters if they are soaked in a couple of seconds. Put them in some spare clothes when you have finished and leave theirs out to dry.

I do most water play then and not so much when the weather is colder. I personally dont see the harm on a hot day if they do get soaked, we had our water trays on the floor with 2x2 year olds and an 11month old and within seconds the 11month was sat in the trays splashing having a great time, the older ones got wet, now they have had lunch all crashed out clothes dried!

We have had the best fun, giggling, laughing and splashing with all sorts.

crazyhazy
24-06-2010, 12:37 PM
My dd2 has a bit of a love of water aswell and 2 weeks ago when it was hot and before we'd got around to buying a paddling pool, I got one of the toy storage boxes, half filled with water and sat her in it (she had her uv suit and a swim nappy on) with the stacking cups (her fav toy for water play!) along with some toy cups and tea pot. I have never seen her so quiet, she must have spent about 40mins playing, chuckling away! She's 21m.

moljak
24-06-2010, 01:39 PM
I used to put my DD and her friend in the bath some afternoons for water play.Of course we should have mindees in bathers and mums permission but if you're able to do this and supervise other children then try it :)