PDA

View Full Version : safe storage of knives and medicines

loopy lou
29-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi.

sorry guys, being a nuisance again: can you possibly advise about the safe storage of knives and medicines?

we are in the process of having our kitchen done and ofsted are coming on Monday!! We have limited cupboard space at the mo. The knife block is up high out of a childs reach on the fridge freezer and the medicine box is up in a high cupboard in the kitchen, again out of a child's reach. do you think ofsted will have a problem with this? All bleach etc is safely locked away in cupbopards, just have no room in locked cupboards for the knife block and medicine block. the kids are highly unlikely to climb up on the units in the kitchen to reach these areas are they? Again as if the kids were be left unattended in the kitchen. I also have a gate on the kitchen.

Any ideas?

Hope i don't sound a complete fool, getting in a bit of a state about this inspection.

Loopy lou:clapping:

sarah707
29-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Get into as much of a state as you like... it's allowed! I know I did!

Have you got a risk assessment for the kitchen? Include the fact that it's undergoing renovations, state that the chemicals are in a locked cupboard, show that you have thought about where everything else is ... medicine cabinet is within reach for adults but out of sight and reach of children and I would suggest getting knives into locked cupboard somehow... mention constant supervision etc...

Good luck! Ask if there's anything else! :D

Alibali
29-03-2008, 08:25 PM
At my 1st visit, after me mentioning constant supervision in kitchen, my officer remarked that in emergencies we may not be in full supervision etc, and now with a few years experience behind me I know what she means. I don't like the idea of knives being up high, what if they fall, and I'm not sure it's safe reaching up for them. Hope you get it sorted ok. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Ali :)

Tily Bud
29-03-2008, 08:29 PM
My knife block is at the back of the work top and ofsted have never queried this - i had my last inspection in november and she sat in the dining room in full sight if the knife block x In my risk assessment i state that the knife block ( a carousel unit ) is kept pushed to the back of the worktop and that children are discouraged from entering the kitchen end of the kitchen / diner xx

crazybones
29-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Do you have a portable safety gate? I have one that travels around downstairs for different uses eg the back door is open when I am cooking sausages and I dont want to do a fire drill if you know what I mean :laughing: You could do a risk assessment and then say that they are kept out of kitchen for the time being because of work being done and the gate is used to keep them out until it is finished and everything is in its rightful place.

littlestar
29-03-2008, 09:41 PM
i just put my knife block in a cupboard out of site and all mmy cupboards and draws have child locks on them they are a pain but now my little one is in at everything im glad i got them

loopy lou
29-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi.

have a permanant safety gate fitted at the entrance to my kitchen: i will however find room for my knives in a cupboard with a safety lock on it, as i think you are right, if i go to reach up high I could have real problems if one falls!!

Have also now come to the conclusion that i have done everything in my power for monday's expection and will now take it easy( have had a couple of beers and a glass of wine) and take whatever is thrown at me! I have looked after kids for over 20 years in a "Nanny" capacity. It's so difficult though when people say" don't worry about it" because you do, that's just being normal I guess, gonna try and relax.

Thanks guys for all the advice, really do appreciate it. Will let you know the outcome.

Loopy Lou:clapping:

angeldelight
29-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Sounds like you have it all under control anyway

Dont worry

Good luck

Angel xx

buildingblocks
30-03-2008, 06:36 AM
I have no cupboard locks on my kitchen just a gate across the doorway and ofsted were happy with this. Cleaning stuff in a high cupboard not locked. First Aid kit in a high cupboard. Knives in a high cupboard not in a block but in a plastic box with a lid). no cupboards locked.

Ofsted were happy with this but be warned it will all depend on your inspector on the day as they all sing to a different hymn sheet

buildingblocks
30-03-2008, 06:41 AM
I have looked after kids for over 20 years in a "Nanny" capacity.

I also worked for 20 years in a "nanny" capacity. Working for yourself is so much easier. If you can cope with all the hazards in a private home in a nanny position then working at home is so much easier as you can make sure it is safe.

charleyfarley
30-03-2008, 08:24 AM
I have no cupboard locks on my kitchen just a gate across the doorway and ofsted were happy with this. Cleaning stuff in a high cupboard not locked. First Aid kit in a high cupboard. Knives in a high cupboard not in a block but in a plastic box with a lid). no cupboards locked.

Ofsted were happy with this but be warned it will all depend on your inspector on the day as they all sing to a different hymn sheet

I'm the same.

Children aren't allowed in the kitchen without supervision. Ofsted were happy with the stairgate across the doorway. And didn't mention the lack of cupboard locks.

It does just depend on your inspector though

Carol xx

miffy
30-03-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't have cupboard locks either but all cleaning stuff is in a wall cupboard in utility out of reach

My knife block is pushed to the back of the work surface and wasn't mentioned in my inspection

Good luck for tomorrow hope it goes well

miffy xx

Lou
30-03-2008, 11:39 AM
I dont have cupboard locks or a gate across the kitchen!! Mainly cos my children are old enough not to need it, and i dont want to!!!

Cleaning stuff is in a cupboard up high, knife block is pushed to back of worktop, and first aid kit also in cupboard high up.

All the low down cupboards have things that cant break or wouldnt matter if something was pulled out in, ie plastic bowls or cups etc.

I explained all this to my inspector and that the children are not allowed in the kitchen unattended and she was more than fine about it.

but as has been said the problem lies with the fact that not all inspectors are the same and what one picks up on, another will think is ok.

Good luck xx

deeb66
31-03-2008, 10:37 AM
I have my knives in a block on the work surfice. The block is oushed back as far as it will go and is out of reach.

I have magnetic locks on my undersink cupboard and on my cutlery drawer.

My inspector was more than happy with all that and I was inspected at the end of January this year.

I see that you have your inspection today......good luck, hope it all goes well!