PDA

View Full Version : ####NEWSFLASH####

Mookins
21-06-2010, 09:34 PM
on my icp course this evening one of the ladies who recently had their OFSTED pre reg was told by OFSTED that the box folders on the NCMA website are NOT suitable for storing paperwork in ie: confidential files etc, they still need to be kept in a lock and key type cabinet/unit

http://shop.*************/file-case-only-1142-0.html

OUR TUTOR SAID THESE ARE ADVERTISED AS SUITABLE AND OFSTED REGULATED and has said to warn everyone this may now not be the case so to check with OFSTED first before you purchase or decide to buy or if you are using it already

just a heads up

x x x

rickysmiths
21-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Oh so Ofsted want us to have houses like Fort Knox now do they. :panic: :laughing:

sweets
21-06-2010, 10:18 PM
well the mighty ofsted can go and take a run and jump because thats all i have and thats all im going to have! it was ok with them at my last inspection and it will be ok at my next, and tough t***y if its not :laughing:

Hebs
22-06-2010, 05:36 AM
I have my paperwork in a lockable box file got it from argos for £15

onceinabluemoon
22-06-2010, 06:24 AM
I was told that on my ICP too so bough a cheap lockable, brightly coloured, file box from woolies. My inspector thought that was fine.

It doesn't cost much and yet ensures parents private stuff is kept private.

Hebs
22-06-2010, 06:41 AM
I was told that on my ICP too so bough a cheap lockable, brightly coloured, file box from woolies. My inspector thought that was fine.

i was told too aswell, i thought everyone had to keep records secure?

manjay
22-06-2010, 07:29 AM

But then how is that different than the NCMA one?

Hebs
22-06-2010, 08:27 AM
But then how is that different than the NCMA one?

NCMA is not lockable i dont think

mine is made from metal, and has an intergrated lock

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8753713/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C144 18968/c_2/3%7C15701365%7CStationery+and+office+supplies%7C14 419003/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419003%7CFiling+and+storage%7C14419006.h tm

sonia ann
22-06-2010, 08:30 AM

haven't got one but it is advertised as lockable

Blaze
22-06-2010, 08:33 AM
The NCMA one has a padlock. Hebs the one you have is not suitable anymore as it's removable - ie you can pick it up remove from the premises & force open....that is now the issue:rolleyes:

Mouse
22-06-2010, 08:34 AM

You can put a lock through the NCMA ones, but because of the way they're made (folded plastic, held by flaps), you could just undo the side flaps & get to the into it that way.

ajs
22-06-2010, 08:43 AM
and do you know what i keep all my records and files on a shelf in my office and not one inspector in the 10 years i have been registered have EVER said anything about them

kindredspirits
22-06-2010, 08:47 AM
i've got the ncma box and no inspector has ever commented.:rolleyes:

Gherkin
22-06-2010, 08:49 AM
But surely any lockable file boxes are then not sutiable as they can be picked up and carried off the premises????

Mine in a solid plastic box that locks with a padlock - is this now not suitable?

sonia ann
22-06-2010, 08:53 AM
and do you know what i keep all my records and files on a shelf in my office and not one inspector in the 10 years i have been registered have EVER said anything about them

same here.........14yrs..................you wouldn't even know they were there or what they are as they are not labelled
personally I think lockable filing cabinets are more suitable for group settings where more people could have access to the info ............here it is me and my family...........no one else
but no doubt eventually I will have to comply......sigh!

Blaze
22-06-2010, 09:04 AM
But surely any lockable file boxes are then not sutiable as they can be picked up and carried off the premises????

Mine in a solid plastic box that locks with a padlock - is this now not suitable?

My understanding that anything removable is not suitable now...hence locakable cabinet etc being cited! Oh & it doesn't surprize me that files on shelves have never been commented on either - typical OFSTED!:rolleyes:

Hebs
22-06-2010, 09:50 AM
my stuff is locked in the metal lockable file, and kept in a locked cupboard :D

TheBTeam
22-06-2010, 11:39 AM
I do not have space to have a lockable filing cabinet screwed to the floor, why on earth is someone going to steal a piece of paper saying a kid comes here and pays x amount per blooming hour for, mine are in the purple NCMA boxes, it looks like childminding stuff!!

If i put it in any other boxes it could be anything and more likely to attract attention while they work out what is in there, i dont even lock my passports and driving licenses away, I am not going to get a flippin great cabinet to keep the stuff in end of!

I am sure if someone came to ransack my house the last thing they would want to worry about is i look after little johnny on a tuesday for £5 an hour!!!!!!!!!! But as that seems to be the case at least my 42" tv and passport and jewellery would be safe!:panic: What a numpty burglar that would bother to steal an NCMA purple case full of paperwork.

My family know who the kids are why do they want to rummage through the paperwork either, it is upstairs and out of the way and no one gives it a second thought!

Except obviously now the new style burglar who forgoes goodies for a childminding contract!:rolleyes: :laughing:

And 18months ago on my dh's ICP they were specifically told it is good to use the purple boxes!:rolleyes:

Blaze
22-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I do not have space to have a lockable filing cabinet screwed to the floor, why on earth is someone going to steal a piece of paper saying a kid comes here and pays x amount per blooming hour for, mine are in the purple NCMA boxes, it looks like childminding stuff!!

If i put it in any other boxes it could be anything and more likely to attract attention while they work out what is in there, i dont even lock my passports and driving licenses away, I am not going to get a flippin great cabinet to keep the stuff in end of!

I am sure if someone came to ransack my house the last thing they would want to worry about is i look after little johnny on a tuesday for £5 an hour!!!!!!!!!! But as that seems to be the case at least my 42" tv and passport and jewellery would be safe!:panic: What a numpty burglar that would bother to steal an NCMA purple case full of paperwork.

My family know who the kids are why do they want to rummage through the paperwork either, it is upstairs and out of the way and no one gives it a second thought!

Except obviously now the new style burglar who forgoes goodies for a childminding contract!:rolleyes: :laughing:

:laughing: My jewerlery is under the sink LOL

It's a small world
22-06-2010, 11:51 AM
The NCMA one has a padlock. Hebs the one you have is not suitable anymore as it's removable - ie you can pick it up remove from the premises & force open....that is now the issue:rolleyes:

So we now have to have a big filing cabinet (which could be moved if really wanted ) or lockable files screwed into our walls perhaps. This is just getting ridiculous :eek: soon our homes will have to be like fort knox :eek: .

Surely as long as they are in a file possibly out of view this would be acceptable.

In my opinion if someone wanted to access a cupborad/filing cabinet etc regardless of locks they will get in ( Where I used to work-non cm place) we came in after the weekend and found that someone HAD taken the filing cabinet.:eek: Luckily for us it was an old one and all the paperwork had been moved to new premisies the week before as we were moving offices. But it can be done...

Sorry but I think things are just going too daft. I understand that things have to be confidential but do people know where your paperwork is kept if in a cupboard which cupboard..sooo shocked (this is my opinion and I understand that confidentiality is an issue but as other comments made on here Ofsted havent said anything on storage...

what is the world coming toooo:panic:

sweets
22-06-2010, 12:14 PM
think i might put mine in a tin box and bury it in the garden, i will draw a map and put it in a safe box at the bank. :p

Blaze
22-06-2010, 12:39 PM
:laughing: Sweets - seems to be latest OFSTED nitpicking!:rolleyes:

TheBTeam
22-06-2010, 12:42 PM
think i might put mine in a tin box and bury it in the garden, i will draw a map and put it in a safe box at the bank. :p

Ah but then burglars will have to go to the bank first to find it, can you put the map in your memory and then they would have to torture you first to get you to tell about the map, this may be more to OFSTEDs liking!

rickysmiths
22-06-2010, 12:43 PM

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8753713/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C144 18968/c_2/3%7C15701365%7CStationery+and+office+supplies%7C14 419003/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419003%7CFiling+and+storage%7C14419006.h tm

The NCMA ones are lockable and come supplied with a padlock.

Blaze
22-06-2010, 12:45 PM
:laughing: Sweets - seems to be latest OFSTED nitpicking!:rolleyes:

sweets
22-06-2010, 12:47 PM
or maybe ofsted would prefer it if all info was on tiny microchips that could be injected into us like they do with cats and dogs! :laughing:

rickysmiths
22-06-2010, 12:49 PM
:laughing: My jewerlery is under the sink LOL

I used to put mine in the freezer when I went away :panic: How doe you think the Contracts and Learning Journeies would stand up to that?:laughing:

venus89
22-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Well balls to that! (:blush: sorry). If I get failed or marked down by mrs O - or her little helper - for having a metal lockable box file with could be picked up and removed from the house then I'm changing jobs. I agree with the BTeam - who on earth would actually really want to nick all that stuff anyway? Or even look? What value has it to anyone? Even I don't care where the kids live, why should a stranger, or my husband? Gah:panic:

TheBTeam
22-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Well balls to that! (:blush: sorry). What value has it to anyone? Even I don't care where the kids live, why should a stranger, or my husband? Gah:panic:

You have really made me chuckle!!!!!! :laughing: :D :thumbsup:

venus89
22-06-2010, 12:54 PM
You have really made me chuckle!!!!!! :laughing: :D :thumbsup:

:laughing: well it's so stupid. And I was just feeling all positive as now I'm nearly accredited I've been invited to a briefing session in a pub with a 'light supper' laid on. But what restrictions will Ofsted put on that, I ask you?! Will I have to wear gloves to eat the food, and a mask so nobody recognises me?

TheBTeam
22-06-2010, 12:58 PM
:laughing: well it's so stupid. And I was just feeling all positive as now I'm nearly accredited I've been invited to a briefing session in a pub with a 'light supper' laid on. But what restrictions will Ofsted put on that, I ask you?! Will I have to wear gloves to eat the food, and a mask so nobody recognises me?

Youll be okay as long as you dont get drunk and start giving out secret details of the map you will have stored in your brain, or the code for the combination lock to the paperwork you have buried in the secret bunker.

Whatever you do do not teach the mindees their address you may save a burglar having to come in and find out!

venus89
22-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Youll be okay as long as you dont get drunk and start giving out secret details of the map you will have stored in your brain, or the code for the combination lock to the paperwork you have buried in the secret bunker.

Whatever you do do not teach the mindees their address you may save a burglar having to come in and find out!

I'm not storing the details of the map in me brain - the burglar might try and steal that! No, maybe tell my husband. He's dispensible..... :laughing: :blush:

TheBTeam
22-06-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm not storing the details of the map in me brain - the burglar might try and steal that! No, maybe tell my husband. He's dispensible..... :laughing: :blush:

Aha I have been trying to think of a way to dispense with my dh for years (married 24 yesterday, never thought i would see that day, well hoped!), perhaps I should get it stored in his brain then advertise for a burglar who is interested in the details of childminding children and tell them where to get them!

ranger-knight
22-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Well Mrs O came yesterday adn never mentioned ANYTHING aobut my file and I just use the NCMA one and keep it in a drawer of my filing cabinet (which doesn't lock)
who knows.. too be honest I think it all depends on who you get round on the day!

venus89
22-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Aha I have been trying to think of a way to dispense with my dh for years (married 24 yesterday, never thought i would see that day, well hoped!), perhaps I should get it stored in his brain then advertise for a burglar who is interested in the details of childminding children and tell them where to get them!

:laughing: :laughing: I think we have a cunning plan there..... Plus husbands, I am sure, are harder to steal than filing cabinets. Unless you have the sense to wave a beer and a pizza under their noses.......
Congrats for yesterday by the way x

Hebs
22-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Hebs the one you have is not suitable anymore as it's removable - ie you can pick it up remove from the premises & force open....that is now the issue:rolleyes:

it's not removable and is safe as it is kept in a locked cupboard :thumbsup:

Excitable
01-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Well just to be sure I'm going to keep my records in an underground shark-infested lake underneath my patio, accessed by a series of tunnels each containing a set of creatures more upsetting and disturbing than the last ones. The box containing the files will only be opened if the correct answer to the question what are Ofsted is given. You can probably imagine the answer.

Well, really. :rolleyes: :p :laughing:

WibbleWobble
01-07-2010, 08:19 PM
i think we should tattoo all info onto our bodies...like in memento.

No one would get to see mine...except oh

and thats only in the dark:blush:

change of contracted hours could prove embarrassing:blush:

mandy x

JulieA
01-07-2010, 09:37 PM
All I can say is good luck to them if they find it to have a nosey, cos I don't remember where it is half the time!!!! Can take me weeks to lay my hands on it coming up to a review. :blush:

Chimps Childminding
01-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Mine is in my kitchen wall cupboard with the rest of the c*** associated with childminding :D Slowly but surely it is taking over the house!!!! and I refuse to have a lockable filing cabinet (not that I could find a space for it amongst the toys, equipment, paperwork etc etc) to put bits of paper in that are of no interest to anyone anyway :angry:

Annie_T
01-07-2010, 10:02 PM
i got a smilar file anyhow - only keep blank aperwork in it - ob sheets etc as easier to find then lol

x

Pauline
02-07-2010, 06:44 AM
I think it all boils down to where you keep your box.

If it is in the hall by the front door where anyone could grab it when you open the door then yes, it is not suitable storage! :rolleyes: If it is in your bedroom behind wardrobe doors then it is fine.

I think ICP course tutors occasionally go OTT :rolleyes:

snufflepuff
02-07-2010, 07:03 AM
This thread has reminded me to fix mine!
Its a metal lockable one, but i stood on it once when i was trying to reach something (only 5ft 3 so need a bit of help!) and now its bent out of place a little so the lock doesn't click down. Need DP to push it back.
Nobody has tried to steal it so far....they would have to go in to the playroom -that is a task in itself some days- then know where to look for it.

Daisy1956
11-08-2010, 10:59 AM
What do we need to keep in the "lockable" container and what can we keep on the shelves?

Mookins
11-08-2010, 11:17 AM
I think it all boils down to where you keep your box.

If it is in the hall by the front door where anyone could grab it when you open the door then yes, it is not suitable storage! :rolleyes: If it is in your bedroom behind wardrobe doors then it is fine.

I think ICP course tutors occasionally go OTT :rolleyes:

lol:laughing:

so true

xx

Ju B
12-08-2010, 09:12 AM
The NCMA file is flimsy and it has Childminder written all over it. Literally. Like labeling something TOP SECRET to stop people looking. I use mine for blank forms etc but thats all.

Stillgoingstrong
12-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Well I have only just got the NCMA box, which is lockable with a padlock and that will have to do tbh. What's the most terrible thing that can happen - if I get burgled are they really going to run off with a blinking purple plastic box rather than all my wordly goods????? No-one who comes into my home are in the least bit interested in stuff about the kids I mind, so they're not going to rifle through it and I'm here anyway. I keep saying the same thing I WANT TO LOOK AFTER CHILDREN - I am not a teacher, I am not an admin assistant and my home is NOT a flipping multi-national company with lockable metal files all over the place. I look after children in my home. Ofsted need to get a grip.

Baileys'n'cream
16-08-2010, 08:05 PM
But.....I will have it in a locked box, my house :thumbsup:

karen m
16-08-2010, 08:24 PM
all my paperwork is kept in box files when child leaves or lever arch when still in my setting then they are kept on a shelf in my office,ofsted have never queried this

jadylasa
16-08-2010, 11:00 PM

And 18months ago on my dh's ICP they were specifically told it is good to use the purple boxes!:rolleyes:

:laughing: :laughing:
We had a laugh on our ICP how the boxes were lockable, but could be unfolded. But we were assured that these were Ofsted approved. My inspector never mentioned anything about it, and I got it out in front of her to demonstrate my confidentiality. I am not about to get a safe hidden behind some posed oil painting portrait of myself set into my cavity wall!
:ROFL1:

jadylasa
16-08-2010, 11:13 PM
just reading all the repies that were posted whilst I was typing.....made me giggle, so to round of what has beeen a pretty s**t day for my, I'm gonna go to bed on that note. thanks for the laugh people, night night. xxxx

zoe2010
17-08-2010, 05:07 AM
My sparkly new white NCMA box came with a padlock so whats the problem ??:laughing: it's kept locked lol

Pipsqueak
17-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Well I can assure everyone that my box is firmly secured!:D :rolleyes: ;)

estrelas
17-08-2010, 07:50 AM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That made me laugh loads.

My inspector didn't even ask what sort of box i had, infact I had just brought plastic files down with the info in.

estrelas
17-08-2010, 07:50 AM
or maybe ofsted would prefer it if all info was on tiny microchips that could be injected into us like they do with cats and dogs! :laughing:

:clapping: :clapping: :laughing:

estrelas
17-08-2010, 07:51 AM
So glad i read this, i am giggling away happily lol

joannaconroy
17-08-2010, 08:47 AM
I used to put mine in the freezer when I went away :panic: How doe you think the Contracts and Learning Journeies would stand up to that?:laughing:

ha ha ha:laughing: I have heard that in my area if you get burgled the first thing that the burgler will check is your fridge and your freezer:eek: Lots of Poles live here and they all think Poles keep money in the FRIDGE....:rolleyes:
I got that metal lockable box from WHSmiths and was actually going to screw it into my wardrobe...:idea:
I eventually was given a wooden, lockable file cabinet and I already find it usefull!

Chellie
20-08-2010, 01:49 PM
I think if you're confident you could challenge the Ofsted Inspector to show you where it mentions in the Statutory Framework that confidential information has to be kept in a locked filing cabinet - page 39 says that "there should be a suitable, secure area for the storage of confidential information" - no mention of locked, so I would argue that as long as whereever you kept it was suitable and secure ie your NCMA box in a high cupboard out of sight of visitors then that should be fine, if your visitors tend to rummage in your cupboards then you may have to rethink! :laughing: