PDA

View Full Version : please help! x

charliegee
21-06-2010, 02:38 PM
hello everyone - hope you're enjoying the sunshine

I've got a question and I'm really stuck for what to do and hoping you guys can help...!

one of my mindees was sent home today as they have come up in a really bad rash - parent was a bit cross at pick up and said "oh it's just probably their eczema" but have taken them to the docs

I haven't heard back from parent but my question is - do you exclude if the little one has been given antibiotics - at least for the first 24 hrs?

I know some minders that do this and wondering if there is any official guidelines
x

rickysmiths
21-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Yes I do. If they have an infection that requires Anti-biotics then they must stay at home for 24hrs. Then and only then, if they are responding and feeling better can they come back to me. These are my rules.

If a child is so unwell they require medication they should be at home.

charliegee
21-06-2010, 03:09 PM
ah thank you so much!

do you operate this rule also for prescribed creams for things like rashes - like steriod creams?

(I'm totally getting ahead of myself as haven't heard back from the parent but LO was very red, itchy and not herself when I sent home so I'm pretty sure something will be prescribed)

thanks for your help - you're a lifesaver!

x

Millenium
21-06-2010, 03:40 PM
You do need to be cautious because creams containing antibiotics can be prescribed for conditions which are not necessarily contagious or infectious. I have a child that uses Trimovate cream for eczema which contains tetracycline but eczema would not be considered infectious.

Certainly, a prescription for a steroid cream would not indicate that the child had anything that could be picked up by another little one.

Hope the poorly little one recovers soon.

charliegee
21-06-2010, 03:50 PM
thanks for your replys - honestly I don't know where I'd be without this forum!

I understand exema isn't contagious (excuse my terrible spelling!) - but just wondering really on the point of antibiotics

- I know that some steriod creams contain ingredients which are antibiotics - so would the 24 hr rule apply in that instance?

My thinking being that antibiotics are used to treat infection IYSWIM?

x

marzi
21-06-2010, 05:07 PM
I would think that things like eczema contain an antibiotic ingredient to prevent infection rather than treat it, if the skin is broken there's a risk of infection iyswim, but I don't think you need to exclude them for cream just the medicine as if they have been given the 'proper' stuff they have an infection already.

charliegee
21-06-2010, 05:10 PM
I would think that things like eczema contain an antibiotic ingredient to prevent infection rather than treat it, if the skin is broken there's a risk of infection iyswim, but I don't think you need to exclude them for cream just the medicine as if they have been given the 'proper' stuff they have an infection already.

Thanks Marzi

so do you mean you wouldn't exclude for a steriod cream?

x

nannymcflea
21-06-2010, 05:43 PM
24 hours exclusion is incase they have a violent reaction to the medicine that they haven't had before.(it's not compulsery)

No need to exclude for steroid cream or any other medicines unless the child is contagious or too poorly to attend.:thumbsup: