PDA

View Full Version : what time would you be willing to start work?

Teresa
29-03-2008, 05:04 PM
i was in the middle of my weekly frozen food shop and got enquiry call on my mobile. the parent wanted me to have her child from 5.30 am and take the child to school.. i was point blank and said :panic: no i am not willing to start at that time of a morning just for a few hours a day. she seemed really upset that i would not do it, also asked me if i knew any other childminder that would do it. i told her that i didnt and told her to advertise on netmums and see if anything came from there and try looking on c i s site to see if anyone on there would. gees some parents just dont take no for a answer. would any of you start work at that time just for 1 child for 3 hours? my mindees i have at the moment dont start till 8:30 so i would have just been getting up at that time for that one child.

emler
29-03-2008, 05:06 PM
No I wouldn't even think about a 5.30am start! The earliest any mindees come to me is 7am and thats only occasionally. The rest are 8-8.30am.

Emler x

Teresa
29-03-2008, 05:08 PM
i am glad i am not the only one then ..... thought to myself cant even think straight at that time never mind look after a little one.

Lou
29-03-2008, 05:09 PM
No i wouldnt consider it either.

I have a friend minder who does 6.30 am starts but she gets up really early anyway and she charges double before 7am.

I prefer to stay in bed as long as possible lol

tulip0803
29-03-2008, 05:10 PM
No I wouldn't either. I am definately not a morning person. 7am is the earliest for me but I prefer not to.

sarah707
29-03-2008, 05:11 PM
My first one starts at 740am... that's early enough for me!

It's fine term-time but in the holidays when everyone else is in bed and I'm missing out on lie-ins, I really resent it sometimes... :(

chels55
Im willing to be flexable but 5.30am NO WAY i love my sleep too much

crazybones
Gosh no way. Ok Will gets me up at 5.30 sometimes but at least I can slob about in PJs and get a cuppa and come round while he sits eating his yoghurt. But to be up and ready to start work at 5.30 :eek: . I have one coming at 7.30 but that is my niece and she is 11 so if I am not ready its ok.

nell57
29-03-2008, 05:12 PM
I agree too early for me too, mine start arriving 7:45 to 8:15

Sorry for the poor child having to get up that early as well

Helen

Teresa
29-03-2008, 05:13 PM
i would be willing to do from 6:30 at a push but i think 7am is early enough .. esp somedays i work till 8pm so on those days i would be working 14 and half hours gees when would i get anything else done???

Teresa
29-03-2008, 05:15 PM
I agree too early for me too, mine start arriving 7:45 to 8:15

Sorry for the poor child having to get up that early as well

Helen

me too i know if i had tried to get my kids up at that time even they would be hell and they are 18 and 15 now

Pudding Girl
29-03-2008, 05:22 PM
I start at 7.30am - I would only do 5.30am start if they were damn near full time hours, just not worth it otherwise, not for taking to school, oh no!

berkschick
29-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Not a chance!

I have a new starter on Monday who will be 7.30am - 9am everyday and that is plenty early enough for me!

Hopscotch
29-03-2008, 05:51 PM
No way :panic: that is way too early i don't think there will many minders who would take on that one i start at 7:45 and that is early enough for me, i am not a morning person and i think that would kill me getting up that early what time must the poor child have to get up?.
Bev X:panic:

manjay
29-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Sorry not for me either. There is only one 5:30 I see on the clock each day :D

amanda xx

ruby
29-03-2008, 06:03 PM
i agree with everyone else no way would I start at 5.30 my first one comes at 7.30 early enough for me

cathy

littletreasures
29-03-2008, 06:09 PM
7.30 is more than early enough for me.

I couldn't cope with any earlier.

Jules

charleyfarley
29-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I start at 7.30 which is early enough although I have on the odd and I mean odd time started at 6.30 but no way would I do 5.30.
That's the middle of the night still :eek:

Carol xx

Pipsqueak
29-03-2008, 06:15 PM
To put it bluntly - not a cats chance in hell would I even think about before 7am. Blimey it takes me a while to "come to" and then its getting on my kids case.

That poor kid - they'd have to up by 5am wouldn#t they and then do a day at school. I know work is important and necessary to some people/familes but to put your child into a childcare place at that time of morning - get a life lady.

RedDragon
29-03-2008, 06:31 PM
7am would be my earliest but that would depend on what time my last 1 left (if it was a day when my last 1 left at 6:15am that would work out to be a very long day).

I did have an enquiry about a Sunday - 2 children for 8 hours. No one would do it and the parent was desperate so I said I would do it for £100 for the day but I never heard from her again so she must have got someone - a family member I suspect because I know it wasn't a Childminder around where I live.

Angela234
29-03-2008, 06:38 PM
I say that i start at 7am ealiest start i have is 7.30
Iwould not evan consider 5.30am

Angela

crazybones
29-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Just thinking about it again; maybe we should have an "incredibly unsociable hours rate" for 5.30 am hours.

Trouble
29-03-2008, 06:48 PM
i cant breathe til 7.30 so i wouldnt do it:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

wendywu
29-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Its not fair on the children to be dragged out of bed for that time drop off. If any one wants before 7.30am they have to pay for them to sleep the night before.:panic:

deeb66
29-03-2008, 06:53 PM
The earliest I will start is 7 am.....but do prefer 7.30.

There is no way I would accept a child before that time as not only is it too early for me to be up but I don't think it fair on the rest of the family.

Let's be honest parents and their kids are not exactly quiet in the morning.....I am sure that my lot are realeted to Foghorn Leghorn as they seem to try to make as much noise as possible despite me saying sshh Jack's still asleep or something like that.

I actually think the parents are worse than the kids.....they don't have any respect for others in the household who may be asleep......I find that they seem to make an effort to make more noise than usual during the school holidays :(

The thing that winds me up more than anything is that they insist in ringing the doorbell as well during school holidays when a small tap would also alert my attention to the fact that they are standing outside.

Before 7am......Not a hope in hell I am afraid!

Alibali
29-03-2008, 06:58 PM
If you did an 8 hour shift and finished with all your other mindees at 13.30hrs, then maybe you could cope, but just imagine starting at 5.30 and working til 18.00hrs!! no way. And poor child that has to get up at that time, not fair.

Ali :)

miffy
29-03-2008, 07:03 PM
I don't start til 8am - 5.30am is the middle of the night I'd never last the rest of the day!

miffy xx

hello kitty
29-03-2008, 07:27 PM
I had a 9 year old from 6 a.m. once or twice a month for 2 years which was OK as I charged 1/2 fees when they didn't come. I only overslept once and that was when they turned up on a day they shouldn't have!!!!!!!

Never again, much too early.

Sarah :)

Spangles
29-03-2008, 07:28 PM
I say I start from 8am although I'd go 15 mins earlier if I had to and it was worth it.

I'm definitely not a morning person and would not consider 5.30am start for anything! No way! Just the thought of it makes me feel tired!

Chimps Childminding
29-03-2008, 08:43 PM
I start at 7.30 4 days a week and thats plenty early enough!!!!!! If I see 5.30 am I look at the clock turn over and go back to sleep for an hour!! :D

John
29-03-2008, 08:44 PM
I don't mind doing the early start, as i use to do a breakfast club and sometimes up early on a Sunday if i'm off to the lakes of out fishing. I have a child that comes at 8.30am.

John.

donnagwynne
29-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi Theresa,

I have just noticed that you are located in Nottingham like me. Where abouts in Nottingham are you??? I am in Bulwell, picking up from Cantrell Road School.

I wondered if I had met you on any of the CIS courses lately?

Donna

Noodles
29-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I would never consider a 5.30am start. At the end of the day you have got to think of the child in this.
must be getting dragged out of bed at some ridiculous time to be at a minders by 5.30am and then a full day at school................... Poor child
:panic:

Teresa
29-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi Theresa,

I have just noticed that you are located in Nottingham like me. Where abouts in Nottingham are you??? I am in Bulwell, picking up from Cantrell Road School.

I wondered if I had met you on any of the CIS courses lately?

Donna

I am in the mapperley area, i have done a few courses latley my last one was eyfs in lenton at sandfield i have been to denewood too on courses.

Tily Bud
29-03-2008, 09:15 PM
The earliest i start is 6.45am and that is plenty early enough ! I find this really tiring as i then work until 6pm at night :eek: but at leat its only 3 days a week depending on the mums shifts and only until May as she is at Uni and it is her community placement x

cuddlybunny38
29-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Thats to early for the child, I used to have 2 little girls from 6.30am and they didnt like it as they were tired and missed mum cos it was a rush for them.

angeldelight
29-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Up till last week I was starting work at 6am

I had to get up really early

The child was soooooo tired it just did not work out in the end was screaming the whole day

Not only that I do not finish till 6.30pm so it was a very long day

I have learned my lesson and my earliest in the future would be 7am

Angel xx

LittleAcorns
29-03-2008, 11:50 PM
You did the right thing, 8am is early enough imho I have agreed to start at 715 one day a fornight but thats it

Blaze
29-03-2008, 11:55 PM
On my fees that woud equal £30 for 5;30am-9am (£10 PER HOUR FROM 5:30AM - 8AM..THEN £5 AN HOUR BETWEEN 8AM & 9AM). This would be £150 a week...a lot of money...but not enough to get me out of bed for a 5:30am start!!!i would be too knackered all of the time...simply not worth it!

Tasha:)

Blaze
29-03-2008, 11:57 PM
The earliest I will start is 7 am.....but do prefer 7.30.

There is no way I would accept a child before that time as not only is it too early for me to be up but I don't think it fair on the rest of the family.

Let's be honest parents and their kids are not exactly quiet in the morning.....I am sure that my lot are realeted to Foghorn Leghorn as they seem to try to make as much noise as possible despite me saying sshh Jack's still asleep or something like that.

I actually think the parents are worse than the kids.....they don't have any respect for others in the household who may be asleep......I find that they seem to make an effort to make more noise than usual during the school holidays :(

The thing that winds me up more than anything is that they insist in ringing the doorbell as well during school holidays when a small tap would also alert my attention to the fact that they are standing outside.

Before 7am......Not a hope in hell I am afraid!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets this! |Drives me up the wall!

Tasha:)

Twinkles
30-03-2008, 12:42 AM
I agree with everyone else, there's no way I'd get up for 5.30 am. It's bad enough getting up for 7.30.

She's obviously not thinking of her child. Can you imagine how tired he will be at school ? It's just not fair on him.

susi513
30-03-2008, 08:35 AM
I would only consider starting at 5:30 am in very exceptional circumstances, as a one off. Eg if parent had to travel for a family funeral or a hospital appointment.

The earliest I've started is 6:30 am but that was a very occasional basis as part of shift pattern. I've done regular starts at 7:15 and 7:30 am but never had more than one start before 8am on the same day. I charged double time before 8am.

I'd prefer to start earlier if it meant finishing earlier. But it never does.

If I was registered for overnight care I'd probably set a fee for the "overnight slot" and where parents require childcare hours that include part of the over night slot they'd be charged for the whole of the overnight period. Which would hopefully encourage them to book the overnight slot which would be better for the child IMO.

Mollymop
30-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Well, there are lots of people that have to be at work for a 6am start.
I used to have to be at work for 6am and Darren had to leave to travel(works on the roads all over the place) at 5:30am
So I had to find a childminder to work from 5:30. (couldn't find one!)
If no childminders did it all those that have to work early would be stuffed as nurserys don't open until at least 7am.
So therefore i am willing to do it, as i know how it feels.
But I will defo be charging more.

buildingblocks
30-03-2008, 05:28 PM
I have worked some days recently from 7am until 10pm days with hours from different families. 7 is the earliest that i will start.

Have to admit wouldn't do 5.30 starts as a regulardue to the fact that i need to be up an hour before chidlren arrvie so I am up at 6am for a 7am start. I have occasionally done 6am start for one family due to Dad being 6-2 and mum having to be in hull for 7am but this was a one off and I knew I could greet her in my pyjamas (she is a friend) which i wouldn't do normally for families - although I do know of a childminder who greets parents regularly in pyjamas.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
31-03-2008, 08:16 AM
I would not start at 5.30 it is just too early and I would be shattered by the end of the day the earliest I start is 7.30 but have had parent turn up at 7.00 which I was not happy about.

If it was a one off then I would consider it but not all the time.

Lorraine xx

LittleMissSparkles
31-03-2008, 08:28 AM
I have worked some days recently from 7am until 10pm days with hours from different families. 7 is the earliest that i will start.

Have to admit wouldn't do 5.30 starts as a regulardue to the fact that i need to be up an hour before chidlren arrvie so I am up at 6am for a 7am start. I have occasionally done 6am start for one family due to Dad being 6-2 and mum having to be in hull for 7am but this was a one off and I knew I could greet her in my pyjamas (she is a friend) which i wouldn't do normally for families - although I do know of a childminder who greets parents regularly in pyjamas.

spill the beans Kate !!! anyone I know ???? xxx

LittleMissSparkles
31-03-2008, 08:30 AM
there is no way on earth I could be up and ready myself for a 5.30 start ! but I understand what Sandra has said some parents dont havea choice but to find childcare for silly hours and it must be hard for them Ido sympathise but I personally couldnt get up for that time i'd have to be getting up at 4.30 .........:panic:

buildingblocks
31-03-2008, 04:53 PM
don't think you have met her

ma7ie
01-04-2008, 08:46 AM
I used to look after two little boys from 7am and that was bad enough. My normal hours are 8am until 5.30pm but "T" starts at 7.30.