PDA

View Full Version : Is this too cheeky?

OrlandoBelle
21-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi Ladies,

I need to bend your ears a bit (again) Lol.
Ok, As most of you know I work with my husband who is registered as my assistant and we've just had a baby who is now 9 weeks old.

We've just taken on a 5 month old baby too and between us we have 5-6 children all aged 2 and under throughout the week.

We've in the middle of putting in a toddlers play deck in our garden which will be great to get outdoors in this lovely weather, but there's some lovely parks and lakes within walking distance in our area that we are no longer able to get to because some of the children are not good walkers/cannot walk. I realise how important it is to take the mindees into the community, so rather than buying 2 triple buggies, we were thinking of buying one of these kiddy buses. They hold 6 children and would be perfect for our needs. However they come with a hefty price tag of £1880 with canopies! We're going to be saving for a long time!

So we were wondering; would it be cheeky to hold a fundraising event for the children we look after? The children could get sponsored by their friends, family, neighbours, etc and all monies raised could go towards the wagon. I know we won't raise enough, but every penny would help.

My only problem is would parents be offended by this? At the end of the day its up to us to provide the facilities for their children. It would be like the're paying for part of it.

What do you all reckon? And my next question; any ideas for a good fundraising event?? :D

Fabby
21-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Yes definately, why not!!!!! That bus looks absolutely brilliant and they would love that i bet!!

kindredspirits
21-06-2010, 11:43 AM
others may think differently but i personally wouldn't do it - i would be concerned that the parents would think that i had taken too much on without thinking it through - although to be honest if i had 6 full timers i would be able to buy it with a few weeks.

i also think its a bit cheeky to ask kids to fundraise for something that you are making profit on (i.e. them.)

blue bear
21-06-2010, 11:43 AM
I once sent a sponsor form home for raising funds for our local toddlers. One parent was very enthusiastic and told me he had raised over £60. When he realised it was for the toddlers and not for my garden he wasn't so enthusiatic and infact never sent the money.

So going on this parent can't see a problem rasining funds if their children will benefit, must say I'd never thought of it myself

Tinglesnark
21-06-2010, 11:44 AM
that wagon looks amazing and i dont see why not!!
why not do a sponsored toddle or sing? a bring and buy in your garden if you know enough people? garage sale? car boot? bake sale?
good luck
x

rickysmiths
21-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I would find it odd. You are in business to make a profit, if you have 6 full timers I would have thought you should be able to afford to buy buggies?

You have taken on the children so you should already have the correct equipment and resources to use with them. Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, Ofsted would expect when they increased your numbers that you have this in place.

I would have thought with this number of under 2s you would have more versitile resources if you bought 2 buggies that can be used as triple or doubles to give the most flexibilty. Have a look on ebay? :blush:

Fabby
21-06-2010, 11:51 AM
You know your parents best so go from there i think. Doing a garage sale, bake sale etc etc that above as mentioned is a great idea too, so they can see that you are trying to raise the funds and ust need a little help from them and their children too. Just need to make it as fun as possible!!!

TheBTeam
21-06-2010, 12:14 PM
I personally wouldnt but then I am not good at asking for sponsorship for anything.

I looked at these when dh and I first started but they dont make good for going in a car, so I bought a buggy from NZ which can be a double, triple or quad, and this is enough for us with a couple walking.

Zoomie
21-06-2010, 12:20 PM
In all honesty, I think that two triple/double combo buggies would be more economical and probably easier to store.

Pipsqueak
21-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I think that is a fab invention - the kiddy bus and i do NOT think it cheeky to do some sponsership fundraising. Other private providers (many of whom often get funding where we don't!!) do fund raising events - schools often do fundraising events, brownies/cubs etc.

Of course you would have to approach other persons such as neighbours perhaps, friends family.
i think providing you explain it to parents adequately then they have the choice whether to participate or not.

Often the local council holds a list of funders and grant providers who sometimes will approve grants to you.

OrlandoBelle
21-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I think it is something we will have to look into a bit more. I can see what you mean about the pushchairs and perhaps it would be more economical to buy 2 triple pushchairs. However one of the children is really big for her age and is too big and heavy for a pushchair, but is not a good walker. It would take us 3 hours to get to the park which is a 5 minute walk! At the time of us getting a variation, we did not have 2 babies and our circumstances were different. We had all the facilities to accomodate the mindees at that time. However things have since changed and I am trying to do something about it.

We don't have 6 full timers. We have 7 children on our books, all at different times/days. Most go home by 3pm. I wish they were all full time! We have 2 going full time in September and I am hoping to advertise after schoolers soon, if only I could remember the password to edit my website!

Judging by the newsletters and requests for suncream/sunhats I send home, the sponsor forms wouldn't even be looked at by any of the parents anyway. I will have to come up with something fast!:(

teacake2
21-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Just a thought how would you fit the babies in? :blush: :blush:
Teacake2

Alibali
21-06-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm not certain, but don't you have to be have registered charity status to do fundraising events?

I personally hate asking for sponsorship money so couldn't do it. Looks great though:)

singlewiththree
21-06-2010, 04:20 PM
I think the triples would be better afterall the seats don't recline and the babies would have to go in a separate double. I personally wouldn't do it.

sandy64
21-06-2010, 04:58 PM
hi could the lo whos to big for buggy use a buggy board when legs are tired and walk when not then you could have 1 dble and 1 triple. you could do a fund raiser day we did to make coaches/outing cheaper for us all last yr opened it for family and friends and also gave 20% to nspcc worked well as we took all the kiddies to a fun play area had a party meal coach and it was free parents were happy. but like others have said if youve been granted variation for all the lo surely you would of had to tell ofsted how youd get around so think you need to be a bit careful. :)

mamasheshe
21-06-2010, 05:42 PM
have you looked at the ABC new zealand you can get one for four children they are really really good i would recommend this xx personally i wouldn't do a sponsor event for it but maybe e a car boot or eBay make a bit of money towards it :blush:

Monkey1
21-06-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm sure someone on here was selling one of those a couple of months ago

Monkey26
21-06-2010, 07:13 PM
I have 4 children two days a week and on one of those days 3 of the children are non-walkers or just starting walking! I have the obaby triple buggy with a buggy board on the back of it for when the toddler gets tired. Yes, its heavy but of late the toddler has got used to walking and goes longer before jumping on the board :)

If i had a pound for everytime someone stopped us and say "oh you have your hands full" or "are they triplets... and a toddler!" i would be mega mega rich :) xx

funfunfun
21-06-2010, 08:00 PM
I wouldnt have any objections if it where my child

It looks fab ........and woudl be much easiera than2 triples :)

Good luck with it

crazyhazy
21-06-2010, 08:07 PM
I personally would be going for double/triples instead, if you encourage the older ones to walk they will get better at it quite quickly.

NaggyNat
21-06-2010, 08:27 PM
I personally wouldnt but then I am not good at asking for sponsorship for anything.

I looked at these when dh and I first started but they dont make good for going in a car, so I bought a buggy from NZ which can be a double, triple or quad, and this is enough for us with a couple walking.

Have you got a link for this??? Looked everywhere for something like this!

Thanks xx

miffy
21-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Personally I wouldn't ask the parents to sponsor this - they pay their fees and I think they would be expecting me to provide the equipment but that is just my opinion.

I'd go for a combination of triple/double buggies plus buggy boards as that would be more flexible long term.

You will certainly have your hands full with so many young children! :)

Miffy xx

OrlandoBelle
21-06-2010, 09:25 PM
I think you're all right. It would make more sense having a triple buggy and a buggy board. We already have a double for the babies. Theres so much other stuff I could buy with the money. The Kiddy bus is too expensive. :( Nice to dream though! I will have a look at the New Zealand website (never heard of that!) x

chibault
21-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Its a tough one that. I would feel uncomfortable doing sponsorship or similar.

Personally I think it's how it's handled that makes it more acceptable for parents. If you made cakes and sold them to raise money, you wouldn't feel cheeky, as it's like an extension of your business. Giving a product or service for money, but the money is focused on getting another facility. Or you could ask for old phones and teach the children about recycling and then, put the money towards the wagon. It's a fantastic invention, I want one now!!!

Monkey26
22-06-2010, 06:40 AM
This is the ABC one that people have mentioned from New Zealand http://www.gobubbago.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=61 but i thought the top seat would be too high for my 5ft 3 height!
When i got my variation for the 4 children i looked into getting the same pram the octomom uses... shame the postage made it unjustafiable (had i had 4 children 5 days a week i would have done it!) - http://www.daycaremall.com/inftodsupp_buggy.html

flowerpots
22-06-2010, 06:33 PM
if i was one of your parntsa i wouldnt mind fundraising for something my child would be reaping the benefits of at all, i just think if its going to be your main mode of travel then it might make th older ones a little lazy, its easier to jump in the bus rather than walk. :)

Helen79
23-06-2010, 01:01 PM
dd's old nursery did a sponsored event every year to buy new equipment and tbh I always felt it was a bit cheeky as I pay my fees for her to go there and couldn't really afford sponsor money at the time.

With 3 children I either use a double buggy/a single with a buggy board and a sling.

The Juggler
23-06-2010, 01:08 PM
nothing stopping you doing it as a sponsored event, parents don't need to donate any money, you can collect from your friends, family, minders you know, that way parents won't need to feel like they are contributing.

You can always ask if they'd like to sponsor you and then they might offer to get family to sponsor too if they want to be involved.:)

MAWI
23-06-2010, 01:15 PM
I think it is an amazing idea.
Personally I would not ask parents purely because it is my responsibility to purchase equipment. I do fundraise for children in need and so on and parents dont mind because they know the money is for a good cause. The question is is it a good cause? Obviously from a childminder's point of view , yes. However Im not sure all parents would see it that way and may think that its up to you to get the children around safely.I know that some of mine would also question the safety of having six children in one place, but that sjust my parents!!!

It's a small world
23-06-2010, 01:25 PM
I love this. Think it's great and love seeing the local nursery children in theirs . However only you know what your parents are like. Would they be happy to contribute. Some may not wish to contribute if mindees won't be there for long ie- starting school or preschool this year or next iyswim as it would mean their children may not gain from it in the long term. Good look in whatever happens or whatever you decide to do. :clapping:

Minstrel
23-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I could do with a 7 seater car to help me get out and about in the holidays..... don't suppose i could fundraise for this, could i? :rolleyes:

nokidshere
24-06-2010, 06:39 AM
I don't think its at all cheeky. Why shouldn't we fundraise? After all private nurseries are always doing it and we pay a fortune to them in fees! Even private schools which cost upwards of 5k a term have fundraising events - I don't see how we are any different?

AnnieM
24-06-2010, 07:14 AM
I also don't think it's too cheeky. I am always spending on the children and sometimes spend far more than I earn and parents realise this. How about doing a car boot sale to help raise funds, ask parents for donations of items to sell. That may be a better idea than actually asking for contributions of cash. :cool: