PDA

View Full Version : do deposits normally scare people off?? ...................

maryp0ppins
20-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Do you think asking for a '4 week' deposit 5 months before mindee starts is too much?
£420 is the amount
I have explained it will be held for the space needed & it will be first months advanced payment in November.
Family were really happy they found me & said they couldn't wait for LO to start with us as we seemed fantastic, they emailed me asking what day to come & sign contracts last Friday & asked what they might expect,
so i said i will need the deposit but I'm guessing they wouldn't have budgeted for it so i said if they could pay it in 4-6 weeks that would be great......
Not heard a bean since, do you think I've scared them off??:panic:

The Juggler
20-06-2010, 05:12 PM
I have always taken a deposit unless they are starting immediately. I always ask for a month.:)

funfunfun
20-06-2010, 05:47 PM
I dont think so no ....at the end of the day you could be turning away children to care for this potential mindee :)

TheBTeam
20-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I must admit I have never taken a deposit, but around here it doesnt seem to be the done thing, so if you ask it would stand out.

loocyloo
20-06-2010, 07:17 PM
i ask for a deposit and refund it in the last months invoice. that way, if they leave without paying, i have something towards fees!

Millenium
20-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Like Loocyloo, I require one month's fees as a deposit which is offset when the child leaves my care (not against the first month's fees). So for a full-timer that could be £900. The minding fees are payable in advance at the beginning of the month so for a child starting immediately there will be be an £1,800 payment. I do not believe that I have ever lost an enquiry because of this approach and as Loocyloo says, the deposit is your "security" against possible non-payment. If a child is coming to you for full time care (maybe 50 hours per week), the parent is not going to quibble over an £1,800 payment.

crazyhazy
20-06-2010, 08:23 PM
As a parent it would probably scare me off, although I would probably have replied to see if there was any way I could have paid it over maybe two months rather than not reply at all. I'm just starting out and haven;t taken deposits so far and maybe I'll learn the hard way but it doesn't seem to be the done thing here so I think if I were asking large deposits then it would lose me business.

suzyblue
21-06-2010, 06:48 AM
I ask for half of the first months fees as a deposit and it is deducted at the first month of care. Has always been fine for me.

moogster1a
21-06-2010, 07:15 AM
****** hell Millennium. Where do you live to charge that amount!!

rickysmiths
21-06-2010, 08:03 AM
I always ask for 4 weeks fees, irrespective of the start time and yes this could mean a payment of upward of £2000 for a full timer.

I keep it until the end of the contract when it is off set against the 4 weeks notice as long as all fees are up to date at that time.

In the contract it clearly states the Deposit is held and if the parents change their mind and do not start the contract the Deposit is not returned. If, when the time comes, I am unable to offer the place the Deposit is returned in full. If the contract proceeds normally then I will use the Deosit to cover the 4 weeks notice period.

Doing it this way minimises any loss due to none payment of fees during the Contract time.

angeldelight
21-06-2010, 08:19 AM
I do always ask for a deposit

But like you have had parents give a shocked suprised look - then I have never heard from them again ha ha

Hope they contact you

Angel xxx

harrysgirl
21-06-2010, 08:25 AM
I have had deposits scare parents off in the past, but I have also had my fingers burnt not taking a 4 week deposit, turning business down and the parents let me down the day before the contract was due to start!
I now most definately ask for 4 weeks payment in advance to go towards first 4 weeks fees - if they seem uncomfortable with this then I ask for a cheque for the full amount & tell them I will hold it until 4 weeks before contract starts so they can budget for it. If it starts within the 4 weeks, then they have to pay for a month's fees in advance anyway.
Hope you hear from them soon....

maryp0ppins
21-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks all :)

I had an Email from them first thing this morning to say they will be round Friday to sign contracts & policies so 'Phew' it didnt scare them off after all, however I'm sure they have had a good old chat about it & maybe even enquired about the deposit to see if its the norm around here which it IS.
Either way I'm happy (so far :o )

xx

angeldelight
21-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks all :)

I had an Email from them first thing this morning to say they will be round Friday to sign contracts & policies so 'Phew' it didnt scare them off after all, however I'm sure they have had a good old chat about it & maybe even enquired about the deposit to see if its the norm around here which it IS.
Either way I'm happy (so far :o )

xx

:clapping: :clapping:

Thats fantastic news

Well done to you

Angel xxx

singingcactus
21-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Like Loocyloo, I require one month's fees as a deposit which is offset when the child leaves my care (not against the first month's fees). So for a full-timer that could be £900. The minding fees are payable in advance at the beginning of the month so for a child starting immediately there will be be an £1,800 payment. I do not believe that I have ever lost an enquiry because of this approach and as Loocyloo says, the deposit is your "security" against possible non-payment. If a child is coming to you for full time care (maybe 50 hours per week), the parent is not going to quibble over an £1,800 payment.

OMG!! That is more than my DH earns in a month!! We would have to take from our meagre savings AND not eat, or pay bills for the month. We are military so our pay does not increase just because we might be posted to a place with high childcare costs either.
Even the £900 is most of my DH's wage. How do people in your area manage to afford childcare. I know we would not get any ctc to help towards that bill.
I am not trying to offend you btw, I am just shocked that you don't get parents 'quibbling' over an almost 2 grand bill.

The Juggler
21-06-2010, 01:16 PM
that's great news. :clapping: :clapping:

Ripeberry
21-06-2010, 02:06 PM

Wow! There must be lots of demand in your area if parents are willing to fork out that much and pay for the first month :eek: Even trying to get parents to pay £100 deposit is too much around here :(