PDA

View Full Version : Seaside theme

igglepiggle
20-06-2010, 09:33 AM
I was thinking of doing a seaside theme in the run up to the summer holidays and wondered if anyone else was doing the same? I thought we could share ideas and then I'll do my best to combine them into a topic web and post it. Here goes:

building and knocking down sandcastles
water play with seaweed added
adding small world sealife to water play and small world beach life to sand play
setting up a souviner shop role play area
sorting and caregorising sealife small world toys
sand pictures
visiting the beach
visiting the aquarium
moving like crabs/fish
sharing 'rainbow fish'together
singing beach themed songs
investigating shells and looking at under microscope/with magnifying glass
listening to the 'sea' in shells
making musical instruments and jewellery (threading skills) using shells
making icecream - investigating different flavours - yum!!!
Exploring rock pools (carefully!)
older ch making sun safety posters
decorating hats
making fish using printing and marbelling techniques.

Ok.....over to you!!!!! I have recently moved house and should have full Internet by the end of this week. I will keep checking the forum on my iPhone and adding to our topic web and will post the web on this thread as soon as my Internet is fully alive. Watch this space!!!

Toothfairy
20-06-2010, 09:37 AM
I am also doing this theme. I found some good ideas on this site;

http://www.everythingpreschool.com/themes/beach/index.htm

hello kitty
20-06-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm going to do this theme in August after my holiday.

Read The Lighthouse Keeper or The Lighthouse Keepers Lunch CLL
http://www.piedpipertheatre.co.uk/jos/dmdocuments/The_Lighthouse_Keeper's_Lunch.pdf

Building a lighthouse CD
Making a lunch in a basket PSED
Making a lighthouse keepers cat mask CD

Ice cream cone collages
Ice cream sundaes
Make a seaside in the tuff spot using sand, pebbles, flags, shells, small world toys, seaweed.
Make crabs, fish, octopus, whales.
Use fishy small world toys in water tray including seaweed.
Bake cheese straws in the shape of fish.

Umm, will have a think. ;)

Celyn
20-06-2010, 04:23 PM
One thing I did when we were doing this theme was to build sandcastles and ice-castles.

I've got one of those big castle moulds - think you can get them on ebay now - and I filled it up with water (instead of the recommended vodka :D ) and put it in the water table tray.

Then we all built sandcastles in the sandpit and compared the two (hard vs. soft, durability, will the sandcastle melt? which will last the longest? etc.)

If you don't have a mould, you can try using lots of icecubes and freeze them together.

igglepiggle
20-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Some great ideas. Will get combining! Think I prefer the vodka ice castle though!!! ;-)

Fabby
20-06-2010, 08:09 PM
some great ideas.... im going to do this for in the school hols!

igglepiggle
23-06-2010, 08:06 PM
So, the topic web is done but the Internet is still not up and running! Will get it posted asap. May be the start of next week now though...typical!:eek:

igglepiggle
01-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Topic web - feel free to add!

sandy64
01-07-2010, 04:26 PM
thats great thanks am i ok to pinch a few ideas? :)

flowerpots
01-07-2010, 06:41 PM
oooh thank you, thats brill!!!!! :-)

avril
01-07-2010, 07:07 PM
flip flops!
Draw around the child's shoe on a piece of card to make a flip flop shape makie holes in it to add string or ribbon for strap and decorate however you like.

Beach in a bottle:
Use a small plastic bottle add a little sand approx quater of bottle size, put in whatever you have collected from the beach small shells, seaweed etc...(not lots of them) then fill very near to the top with water leaving a little gap for movement of the water. Turn the bottle on the side and shake keep holding the bottle on the side and watch everything settle again, the sand sink the water separate. Can be quiet effective.

hello kitty
01-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Igglepiggle you are a star. Thanks for putting this together, now I can relax enjoy my holiday and come back with my August planning all done. :D

Thank you.

http://www.laymark.com/i/k/k027.gif (http://www.laymark.com)

igglepiggle
02-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Sandy - feel free to add ideas...the more the better! Love the bottle idea Avril!

miffy
02-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Some great ideas :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing Igglepiggle

Miffy xx

angeldelight
02-07-2010, 07:55 PM
I agree some great ideas

Thanks for sharing everyone

Angel xx

angiemog
02-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks for this, it's fantastic x

ourmadhouse
02-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Im very sorry but not read all the posts, how rude i know :blush:

sorry if someone has already said this but while at the beach take the children over to meet the life guard and have a chat and talk to the children about a life guards job role (enabling enviroments, 3.4 the wider context, the community) :thumbsup: lots of pics with life guard and if they have a truck or quad even better !

samd35
04-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Hi

Some really great ideas, thank you.

At our beach we have a lifeboat station, we visit this and are able to see the lifeboats, big and small, look at the the model lifeboats.

Sam x