PDA

View Full Version : please help bit of a variation question

mushpea
20-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I have a new child starting soon she wants 3 days a week one of which is a wedensday ,, at the moment this fine but in september i have a parent wanting to increase her days , not sure which days at the moment as she is waiting to hear from the collage which days she has so this might not be a problem but i want to be prepared in case it is,,
so far on a wedensday i have
18month old 8-4pm
3.5yrold 9-3pm
2yrs 3months (new one) 8-1pm
her child is 2.5yrs and I also have her two sisters who are 4 and 7 but will be at school so not counted in my under 5's.
question is do you think that ofsted will allow me to have the 2.5yrold as well as the other 3? the 3 sisters have been comming to me for 2yrs term time only on a tuesday so i can push the continuity of care thing and also i thought i could explain that it would be unfair for the parent to have to use another minder for one of her children,, the only thing is the new one will have only been with me since July,,
do ofsted ask how long the children have been with you?
do you think this would be an issue?
I have had 4 under 5's before but only for 1.5hrs a day

I have explained the situaion to the new parent and have said that if ofsted say no to all 4 then the current parent has priority as shes been here longest and the lady did understand this but i would rather not have to let anyone down!

gigglinggoblin
20-06-2010, 08:37 AM
I would guess they would say yes, they are usually ok about children you are already caring for and in this situation the variation would be for a child you have been caring for for a long time, not the new one. I got a variation for the sibling of a child I had been minding for a month. Variations were taking several weeks when I asked (about a month ago) so if you want it by September I would ask by end of July at the latest (you could ring them to check now about timing)

green puppy
20-06-2010, 08:39 AM
I took on a new lo and 3 weeks later one of my other parents asked to increase days for her lo. I applied for a variation for 4 under 5's based on continuity of care for the original mindee. I got it, I did have to write how long they had all been with me. Situations change so often due to parents working hours etc so apply for the variation nearer the time. I am sure you will get it. My request took 3 weeks from submitting the form to receiving my new certificate.

sandy64
20-06-2010, 08:44 AM
i wouldnt think you have a problem as its continuity of care i have just got one for a mon you have to put start date, age etc it is taking 4weeks at mo so as soon as you no apply jusr remember if you have 4 in eyfs age your next age bracket goes to 2 you can only ever have 6 under 8 unless you have ofsted grant more good luck im sure you will be fine:)

green puppy
20-06-2010, 09:05 AM
i wouldnt think you have a problem as its continuity of care i have just got one for a mon you have to put start date, age etc it is taking 4weeks at mo so as soon as you no apply jusr remember if you have 4 in eyfs age your next age bracket goes to 2 you can only ever have 6 under 8 unless you have ofsted grant more good luck im sure you will be fine:)

I don't think that's right. I have a variation for 4 under 5's and my 5-8 range is still 3. My certificate states how many I am allowed to care for and underneath it says " may exceed this ratio to allow 4 in the early years age group..." and then states the days and times of my variation. The request is to vary the number of children not the ages.

AliceK
20-06-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't think that's right. I have a variation for 4 under 5's and my 5-8 range is still 3. My certificate states how many I am allowed to care for and underneath it says " may exceed this ratio to allow 4 in the early years age group..." and then states the days and times of my variation. The request is to vary the number of children not the ages.

Yes thats the same as mine. I can still have the same as before but an extra child in the EY group at certain times.

xxxx

mushpea
20-06-2010, 10:24 AM
thanks folks you have given me a bit of hope,, any tips on what to include in the letter for the variation? do i just send them a letter or do i need to ring them up first?
thanks

Mouse
20-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Ofsted won't allow you to go over your total number unless you have an assistant, so I'd check what your certificate says.

I have a variation for 2 days a week to have 4 in the EY age range. I can still only have a total 6 childrem under 8, so when I have 4 in the EY range, I can only have 2 between the age of 5-8yrs.

Your certificate usually says something along the lines "may care for no more than 6 children under the age of 8 years, of these only 3 may be in the EY age range and of these, only 1 may be under 1 year old."

If you have a variation, it is worded along the lines of "may exceed this ratio to allow 4 children in the EY age group..."

The ratio of children is different for the variation, but you must never exceed the total number of children allowed (ie. usually 6, unless working with an assistant).

This is what it says on the Ofsted factsheet:

We decide on the numbers and ages of children you may care for during the interview we hold with you before we decide if you can be registered. Once we have registered you, you can ask for a change to these at any time but you can never go above the maximum number set out in the law. This is six children under the age of eight.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-The-numbers-and-ages-of-children-that-childminders-may-care-for/(language)/eng-GB

mushpea
20-06-2010, 10:47 AM
ahh well thats a bummer then cause i will have a 6yr,7yr and 4yr(schoolie) for the hour before school in the morning aswell so they may not allow it,, I have warned the other parent though and i guess there is no harm in asking.

carol cameron
20-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Mouse is right. I have had several variations over the years, for two children under 1 and four children under 5 but you are never allowed to go over the legal maximum of 6 children under 8 when working on your own. I have an assistant now so can have 2 extra children which is what I asked for. I have found Ofsted very helpful with my variation requests and I figure it's always worth asking as the worst that can happen is they say no!

green puppy
20-06-2010, 01:12 PM
I stand corrected, thanks for making that clear.:)

suzyblue
21-06-2010, 07:08 AM
I didnt know that! Wow I love this forum!:thumbsup:

Zoomie
21-06-2010, 10:09 PM
I understand about you needing the 4 under 5's, but how are you needing 7 over the age of 8 ?

At 8am you will have
18m
2y3m
2.5y
4y
7y

Then at 9am, after school run you will have
18m
3.5y
2y3m
2.5y

So I don't see you exceeding the 6 under 8's issue. 3.5y only comes 9am.

mushpea
22-06-2010, 05:40 AM
I understand about you needing the 4 under 5's, but how are you needing 7 over the age of 8 ?

At 8am you will have
18m
2y3m
2.5y
4y
7y

Then at 9am, after school run you will have
18m
3.5y
2y3m
2.5y

So I don't see you exceeding the 6 under 8's issue. 3.5y only comes 9am.

oh yeah i had forgot that!! I do also have a 6ryold first thing but then thats still in my numbers! oh wow, thats brilliant, thanks you have taken a some of the weight off my mind, all i have to do now is hope they will allow the 4 under 5's during the day which i guess is more likley now!
wow thanks soo much