PDA

View Full Version : News letters

nell57
29-03-2008, 03:35 PM
How many of you send out news letters to parents, do you get any feed back on what the parents think about them and how often do you do one.

I'm just planning my first ever one and any tips on what info to include would be much appreciated

Thanks

Helen:)

crazybones
29-03-2008, 03:38 PM
I do a newsletter, sometimes monthly sometimes longer. They screw their faces up but tough. They can never accuse me of not letting them know about stuff or holidays etc. I always remind them on it to give 4 weeks written notice of holidays but they never do. :rolleyes:

nell57
29-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I do a newsletter, sometimes monthly sometimes longer. They screw their faces up but tough. They can never accuse me of not letting them know about stuff or holidays etc. I always remind them on it to give 4 weeks written notice of holidays but they never do. :rolleyes:

Think this might be the reaction I'll get but with Ofsted and the eyfs looking fro evidence on working in partnership with parents at least we can say we've done our bit:rolleyes:

Helen

sarah707
29-03-2008, 04:19 PM
My lot don't read them... they still ask me when I'm going away or when school goes back... but at least I can say I've tried! :rolleyes:

I put all sorts in ... recipes, favourite activities, what we've been doing, outings info, holidays, school info, tell them when I've updated things, birthdays... I keep a list whenever I think of something during the month then type it up when I'm doing my bills.

Hope this helps :D

manjay
29-03-2008, 04:28 PM
I have just done my first one. I was going to add it as an attachment but it is in publisher so won't upload. I have put some info about the theme we are doing next month. Reminder of holiday notice, reminder why they can't come in my house :D . Training courses that me and dh have been on. Days that dh will be looking after the children instead of me. I have also told them about my new blog linked to my website where I am going to post weekly info of what we are doing. I aim to send one at the beginning of each month

amanda xx

charleyfarley
29-03-2008, 04:29 PM
It isn't something I've done as yet but am looking at doing at some time.

Most of my parents won't bother reading it as they don't read the school letters, I know cos I have to remind them of things coming up.

It is a good way of reminding them of all the things you don't like saying, such as payment being on time, early arrivals etc

Carol xx

Alibali
29-03-2008, 04:39 PM
I started doing one 5 months ago and do them monthly. One parent gives me feed back, one says nothing and the other says 'something else for the bin'! what can I say, God loves a tryer.

Ali :)

emler
29-03-2008, 04:41 PM
I try to do a monthly newsletter for parents but I never get any feedback and I'm not certain that they actually read it. I am doing my bit - its up to them whether they bin it or read it

Emler x

littletreasures
29-03-2008, 06:18 PM
My mindees parents don't read the school newsletter, let alone mine if I did one. It's me who has to remind them about inset days etc.

Jules

ruby
29-03-2008, 06:19 PM
i do one as you say some read it some don't so now i put a copy on my notice board in the porch so they can't say they have had one or read one

Cathy

Angela234
29-03-2008, 06:35 PM
I haven't done one to date i have thought about it not sure how it would go down.

Angela

Tatia
29-03-2008, 07:01 PM
I do one monthly and get positive feedback from my parents. I really love designing them so it never feels like work to me. I usually include important dates, themes for the month, holiday dates, pictures, crafts, updates on my training...all sorts.

crazybones
29-03-2008, 07:06 PM
I do one monthly and get positive feedback from my parents. I really love designing them so it never feels like work to me. I usually include important dates, themes for the month, holiday dates, pictures, crafts, updates on my training...all sorts.

Mine sound really rubbish compared to yours. Maybe if I make them more interesting they might even read them. :thumbsup:

miffy
29-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I usually do one each month and include very similar things to Tatia

I try not to make it too long so that the parents will actually read it

miffy xx

Spangles
29-03-2008, 07:10 PM
I've done two so far and plan to do them bi-monthly.

I'm not sure if they read them or not as I've not had any comments! However, looks good for Ofsted as has already been said!

I just keep them short and sweet!

Chimps Childminding
29-03-2008, 08:47 PM
June and I do newsletters with holidays, training dates etc on them - but to be honest you still find them in the childs bag weeks later or when you remind parents about holidays/training they look puzzled as if you haven't told them! you can give them the letters, you just can't make them read them!! :censored:

wendywu
30-03-2008, 12:29 AM
I do one after school holidays with photos of our outings and funny stories of what they all got up to. I put any new news in as well. My parents like this.

Holiday dates are stuck into the front of the diaries so they are always there.

Nix
30-03-2008, 07:55 AM
I've done one and am about to do my second. I plan to do them at the end of the term...too much to do to consider doing a monthly one!

Put in the same as the others.

Nix, x

Michelle M
30-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Funnily enough I sent out my first newsletter to parents, and got positive feedback, although there wasnt much on it for the first one, it just had outings in the holidays and I a starting swimming on Mondays, what toddler groups we attend, my holidays etc. Iwont be doing a monthly one though more like quarterly. :)

buildingblocks
31-03-2008, 06:11 AM
Yes I send them as it shows Ofsted that you are working with parents and keeping them informed.

Do they read them now do you really want me to be honest.

They say they do but they never have any idea about when my holidays are (even though they are in every newsletter), never take their shoes off (even though it has been in the last two newsletters), always ring me at silly o clock (even though it was in the newsletter - are you getting the idea yet) and ring my WORK mobile eventhough they know it is never on when I am not working (guess I don't need to sya it - yes it is on the back of EVERY newsletter)

devoncm
31-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Ive done a couple, ive just done my april one-i do them monthly.
i have no idea if they get read as ive not had anything said about them but a mum that came round last week to sign contracts thought it was a good idea as i put one in her pack she takes home. i tend to include a reminder of what we have done, what we are going to do and any dates they need to know about