PDA

View Full Version : Just some advice needed

angiemog
19-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Hello
I've been minding for a year now. Took me a while but I have got to grips with all the paperwork. I know how to plan but sticking to it I'm really struggling with. I usually have 2 sometimes 3 under 3s each day. I feel guilty if I let them play too much. I feel i should be doing more than I am. I do read stories and sing songs with them. I do messy play with playdough, rice, pasta etc. I try to do a craft once or twice a week. We do go out and about to places to a sure start centre 2 morings a week. I do an outing to farm etc 1 week if not once a fortnight. I feel I'm not doing enough. I feel guilty if I sit down and watch them play. I spend lots of money buying things I think they'll like. Some days I don't have the energy to run around with them all day. They do sometimes have the tv on but not all the time this is normally about 30 mins. They have access to outside play. I have just bought a 2 storey playhouse and having decking put down in 4 weeks, to give them another area to play in when grass is wet. How much time in a 9 hour day should I be 'entertaining' them rather than letting them play on their own. I feel so much better on the days when I have ticked all the boxes to say I've done everything. Sorry if this all comes across a little jumbled but I'm just writing down my thoughts. Does anyone else feel they aren't doing enough and should I be doing more?
Thanks for reading xx

sandy64
19-06-2010, 12:10 PM
sorry i had to laugh when i read this you are doing loads sit back and let the lo do there own thing for a while sit and observe then next time you can add or take away things you are provideing cp for them. to enjoy and learn through play you are offering a wide variety of crafts/outings etc reason for laughing i was looking through what ive been doing recently and thought wow i do so much my poor lo must be tired they dont complain and always look there enjoying activities but sometimes like you i think we need lo to play alone and enjoy make believe etc so you are doing a great job:)

Alibali
19-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Well, if you're not doing enough then I think most of us aren't either!!

gigglinggoblin
19-06-2010, 01:51 PM
You are not supposed to stick to planning rigidly, you are doing the right thing and following what the children want to do. If you miss out what you planned you can always put it on your planning the following week / month / whatever.Your mindees sound way more pampered than my own kids, I want a playhouse! I dont think you have anything to worry about, if anything you are doing too much if you dont leave them to it. I actually got praise from Mrs O for letting the kids play without butting in too much, its important for them to lead the way and learn to be independant

AliceK
19-06-2010, 02:20 PM
I know EXACTLY how you feel. Some days when they are all playing nicely and just getting on with it, although it's bliss for me, I feel like a fraud. I'm being paid to do what exactly? :blush: . Other days when they're at each others throats from 8am - 6pm and I need 6 pairs of hands and eyes in the back of my head I KNOW I am earning my money (and losing my sanity) :laughing:

I think it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job :thumbsup:

xxxx

The Juggler
19-06-2010, 02:46 PM
you are doing loads. if children are engaged in their play with the resources you have put out and planned for (or something they asked for) then you are more than doing your job - you've planned and met child-led learning:thumbsup:

when they are playing like this is the best time for obs. instead of entertaining them just stay close by so you can hear what they say, answer any questions or deal with non-verbal frustrations and extend their learning through questioning them a little as they play.

Get a coffee, camera and notepad and let them get on with it:thumbsup:

sillysausage
19-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Don't forget that whilst they are playing (and you think you're not doing anything) you are probably contributing to their conversation, asking them questions, showing them what to do, modelling good manners, seeing to their toiletting needs, preparing food, mediating in minor arguements, listening to their talk, observing their actions etc etc etc.
It is surprising what your subconscious will be taking on board.....eg you watch billy playing with a teaset...you don't realise it but later on in the garden you set out the teaset and some water in the garden and his play continued....but you had added to his play and enabled him to take his play to another level.
So much of what we do, we do without thinking because it feels natural and makes good sense.

mushpea
19-06-2010, 04:09 PM
your doing loads dont worry,, when the children are happily playing without my interaction i use this time to catch up on paperwork, planning , obs etc as i am fed up with wasting a whole weekend doing paperwork and then 'sitting and watching' the kids play when i can make valuble use of that time.

miffy
19-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Well, if you're not doing enough then I think most of us aren't either!!

Exactly!

You don't need to entertain them all day

Miffy xx

angiemog
19-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Thank you so much for your kind replies. I know I am hard on myself at times but I was just wondering if I am supposed to be doing more with them.
Thanks again. I love this forum, everyone is so helpful. xx

manjay
19-06-2010, 06:19 PM
You are absolutely being too hard on yourself;)

If children are constantly entertained from a very young age they will expect it most of their lives! Allowing them time on their own or to play in groups allows them to become independant thinkers who can problem solve for themselves. If we as practitioners are always stepping in the children will not develop the skills they need to become confident adults.

Sit back and watch:thumbsup: